PDA

View Full Version : New Ford Cabover

biglawndog
03-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Has anyone bought or considered the new cabover Ford. I looked at on today with a 16' chipper dump body, 16000 lb GVW, 6 cyl twin turbo 200hp diesel,a/c, power windows and locks. Really nice. $40,000.00 is alot of money.What do you guys think?

lawnspecialties
03-04-2006, 05:18 PM
I was going in to buy one last week with 18' landscape bed. Found out all four the dealership had on order had no power windows or locks and vinyl seats. I really wanted cloth and power windows and locks. This is the last of the '06 models coming. The '07's will be here in a couple months and ac, power windows, power locks, and cloth seats are standard for that year model. Will have to wait.

I had a thread on Ford-Trucks.com about this very truck. The people who responded said they loved it. Not too many high opinions on the Isuzu models. The Ford has 200hp, the Isuzu's and Fuso's have 175hp. Everybody I've talked to with any kind of cab-over say it's one the best pieces of equipment they've ever bought.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=132838

biglawndog
03-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks LS, Did you happen to get any prices?

Az Gardener
03-05-2006, 11:02 AM
I too have some interest in this thread I looked at a Fuso that seats-6 and had a 14 Ft. bed and it was 40-K I was very impressed. Well by my count I only saw one person on the other thread say they preferred the Ford and that was over a dodge p/u. I also saw rumor that others preferred it over Isuzu's and Fuso's but no one that contributed to the thread. I have heard mostly good things about the Isuzu's here, everyone who ever drove one says they never break down the only knock on them is the power, and that was in hilly areas and trailer pulling. would really appreciate some more feedback here.

HenryB
03-05-2006, 11:45 AM
I have NEVER seen anyone go back to a Ford, GMC or Dodge after switching to an Isuzu or mitsubishi cabover. It's like switching fron a belt to a hydro mower. I'd only buy one of the big three if I were dragracing wich I'm not. The Ford LCF is new, time will tell I hope it turns out better than the others.

pottstim
03-05-2006, 04:12 PM
. Not too many high opinions on the Isuzu models. The Ford has 200hp, the Isuzu's and Fuso's have 175hp. Everybody I've talked to with any kind of cab-over say it's one the best pieces of equipment they've ever bought.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=132838

The engines on the N-series Isuzus have been upgraded to a 5.2 Liter 4 cylinder (formerly 4.75 Liter) with 190hp and 387 ft lbs of torque. Check out the specs here: http://www.isuzucv.com/nseries/nprdieselspecs.html

Also, check out the Npr "Red Rider" special edition flat bed: http://www.isuzucv.com/promotions/redrider.html

lawnspecialties
03-05-2006, 08:50 PM
The price for the LCFs the dealership had on order (the plain ones) was about $34,000 including tax and tags.

Like I said in my original thread Az, the guys who spoke so highly about the LCF and not in favor of the Isuzu's was at Ford-Trucks.com, not the thread I posted here at lawnsite. It is another forum website about all Ford trucks. Go to Ford-trucks.com and look under "General Diesel". It's a fairly recent thread so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

I do like pottstim's info on the new engine specs for the Isuzu. I'll definitely need to check that out as well.:)

Az Gardener
03-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the clarification my bad.

lawnspecialties
03-05-2006, 09:14 PM
I just went to the Isuzu site from pottstim. Thanks, buddy. Although the Isuzu is definitely a very nice truck with a proven history, when you do a comparison on that website, it just goes to prove to me the Ford is the cabover for me.

I want a diesel. I don't care if Ford doesn't offer a gas engine.
I want a regular cab. I don't care if Ford doesn't offer a crew cab.
I want more power and torque. Hands down to the Ford.
The LCF has an option for two 35 gal. fuel tanks that I definitely want. The Isuzu doesn't come close.
The GVWR on the LCF starts at 16,000. 2,000 more than the Isuzu.

The Isuzu is no doubt an excellent vehicle. And I'm not some guy who buys "Ford only" or "Chevrolet only". I work by myself so I want the absolute best for my hard earned dollar. For me and what I need, the LCF almost seems like the kind of cab-over I would have designed myself; if I had the smarts to do such a thing.:laugh:

hosejockey2002
03-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Like I said in my original thread Az, the guys who spoke so highly about the LCF and not in favor of the Isuzu's was at Ford-Trucks.com,

It's a foregone conclusion that you'll get an opinion in favor of the Ford on Ford-Trucks.com.

The Ford is not the hands-down power winner. It has slightly (about 5%) more power, but has a smaller engine than the Isuzu. The Isuzu's standard GVWR is only 12,000, but the N series can be had up to 19,500 GVWR. The Ford only comes with an automatic, where the Isuzu has a standard six-speed manual with an available automatic.
The Ford looks like a really good truck, but only time will tell if it compares favorably in terms of reliability with the Japanese cabovers. I'd be hesitant to buy one until it's been around for a few years.

lawnspecialties
03-06-2006, 12:46 AM
It's a foregone conclusion that you'll get an opinion in favor of the Ford on Ford-Trucks.com.

The Ford is not the hands-down power winner. It has slightly (about 5%) more power, but has a smaller engine than the Isuzu. The Isuzu's standard GVWR is only 12,000, but the N series can be had up to 19,500 GVWR. The Ford only comes with an automatic, where the Isuzu has a standard six-speed manual with an available automatic.
The Ford looks like a really good truck, but only time will tell if it compares favorably in terms of reliability with the Japanese cabovers. I'd be hesitant to buy one until it's been around for a few years.

In a way, you've proven my point. The Ford has what I want.

Yes, 5% more power. But don't forget, 13% more torque. Yes, the Isuzu engine is bigger but it's also a four cyl. versus a six. If a bigger engine has less hp and less torque, what's all the extra displacement for? Weight?

OK, the N series GVWR goes up to 19,500lbs. Wow, so does the Ford's.

I want the torqueshift automatic. It is a proven outstanding transmission.

Let's face it, we could debate this all night and then some. You get your Isuzu. I'll get my Ford. Let's go cut some grass.:waving:

Madstriper
03-06-2006, 01:10 AM
Im a FORD guy, always have been. I have an F250, wife has an explorer. I am just a Ford guy! BUT>........I briefly worked for a PortaCrapper company, and they stuck me in one of those WIMPY Iscuzzu butt ugly truck, you think your head sticks out over the bumper. By about the second day, I fell in love with the little wimpy thing. 900 gallon tank, diesel powered, manual tranny shifted like a Honda. Pulled a 20ft all fiberglass portable restroom trailer, truck had 750 gallons of waste water, trailer had about the same, could hardly tell I had any load, never had to drop out of 5th gear, even over in Vicksburg, which is hilly for us mississippi folks. Needless to say(I know, why say it), I have a large amount of respect for these trucks now. But if you like Fords, buy a Ford. You wont be satisfied with anything else. I do think its a good idea to wait a year to two if you can so they get all the bugs worked out.

Smalltimer1
03-06-2006, 09:42 AM
The engines on the N-series Isuzus have been upgraded to a 5.2 Liter 4 cylinder (formerly 4.75 Liter) with 190hp and 387 ft lbs of torque. Check out the specs here: http://www.isuzucv.com/nseries/nprdieselspecs.html

Also, check out the Npr "Red Rider" special edition flat bed: http://www.isuzucv.com/promotions/redrider.html

The guy I'm working with has a renter in his warehouse who has a new 5.2 diesel GMC/Isuzu 4500 crew cab w/a 16' landscape body, and I talked to him about what he thought about that truck he said it absolutely sucked on power. He also said that when he's loaded (2 ZTR's, 1 WB, trim eq., and fuel), that it only gets about 5 mpg. I don't know what the new LCF is getting, but what little I've heard about it, it seems to be a pretty good rig. It is actually an International truck though with a Ford oval on the front and the Torqshift auto. The 4.5L PSD in it was supposed to be the V-6 diesel that was going in the F-150, but they could not seem to get the emissions down low enough for it to work in a 1/2 ton.

Guess the major factor is how you view the glass......as 1/2 full or 1/2 empty.

pottstim
03-07-2006, 02:43 AM
The guy I'm working with has a renter in his warehouse who has a new 5.2 diesel GMC/Isuzu 4500 crew cab w/a 16' landscape body, and I talked to him about what he thought about that truck he said it absolutely sucked on power. He also said that when he's loaded (2 ZTR's, 1 WB, trim eq., and fuel), that it only gets about 5 mpg. I don't know what the new LCF is getting, but what little I've heard about it, it seems to be a pretty good rig. It is actually an International truck though with a Ford oval on the front and the Torqshift auto. The 4.5L PSD in it was supposed to be the V-6 diesel that was going in the F-150, but they could not seem to get the emissions down low enough for it to work in a 1/2 ton.

I run a 2004 NPR with the 4.75 L Diesel at the publishing company I work for. Last year I had to take a run down to the Bowater paper mill in Calhoun, TN to pick up 4 special rolls that we were running short on. This was a 200 mile round trip, and each roll weighed 930 lbs. If you do the math that equals to be about 3720 lbs. I was running up I-40 and I-75 and had NO trouble what so ever maintaining a cruising speed of 65 mph loaded or unloaded. To top it all off, I got 12.4 mpg for the complete trip unloaded and loaded. My truck is an auto with the 5.30 ? rear end. My NPR may not be a rocket ship getting up to speed, but when I reach cruising speed I have no troubles maintining it loaded or unloaded. We've had this truck for 26 months now and nearly 30,000 miles, and the worst tankful (I check mileage at every fuel stop) was 10.4 mpg in the middle of winter with a lot of city driving. We usually get between 11.5-12mpg. Sounds like your buddy needs to take his in for a checkup at the dealer. People have to realize that these trucks are not like the hot rod Powerstroke, Duramax, Cummins pickup trucks of today. They are geared LOW and are very unaerodynamic. LCF trucks are meant to be workhorse local delivery trucks. And they do a fine job of it if you ask me.

Smalltimer1
03-07-2006, 10:05 AM
I run a 2004 NPR with the 4.75 L Diesel at the publishing company I work for. Last year I had to take a run down to the Bowater paper mill in Calhoun, TN to pick up 4 special rolls that we were running short on. This was a 200 mile round trip, and each roll weighed 930 lbs. If you do the math that equals to be about 3720 lbs. I was running up I-40 and I-75 and had NO trouble what so ever maintaining a cruising speed of 65 mph loaded or unloaded. To top it all off, I got 12.4 mpg for the complete trip unloaded and loaded. My truck is an auto with the 5.30 ? rear end. My NPR may not be a rocket ship getting up to speed, but when I reach cruising speed I have no troubles maintining it loaded or unloaded. We've had this truck for 26 months now and nearly 30,000 miles, and the worst tankful (I check mileage at every fuel stop) was 10.4 mpg in the middle of winter with a lot of city driving. We usually get between 11.5-12mpg. Sounds like your buddy needs to take his in for a checkup at the dealer. People have to realize that these trucks are not like the hot rod Powerstroke, Duramax, Cummins pickup trucks of today. They are geared LOW and are very unaerodynamic. LCF trucks are meant to be workhorse local delivery trucks. And they do a fine job of it if you ask me.

The guy said that according to the dealer, that was normal for mileage. They only have had the truck for 2 months, new off the lot.

HenryB
03-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Smalltimer, Your posts are always informative but to be honest. This whole Ford is the best attitude and knock everything else really sells yourself short. Don't limit yourself be objective.

UNISCAPER
03-07-2006, 10:51 AM
There is somewhere through travels that I read Frod was having problems dialing in that V-6 Diesel. I don't have alot of time right now to do a search, but I'll post it if and or when I find it.

As far as the Idoodoo goes, the trucks were designed for two things. Short city runs, so they work great for fert and squirt guys, and long highway runs, those are geared higher and have the larger diesel.

Then I saw the newest release last week when I was over reaming the company who made our roll off chassis a new rear end. (the idiots did not use primer under the paint on the rails and tool boxes and it is falling off in clumps.ARGH)

They have an OHC 3.8 liter 6 cylinder Vortex powered Idoodoo. Now that engine was a screamer, decent on gas in the S-10's. Sounds like a great combo if you run propane.

LB1234
03-07-2006, 11:51 AM

Or perhaps the glass is twice as big as it should be....

Smalltimer1
03-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Smalltimer, Your posts are always informative but to be honest. This whole Ford is the best attitude and knock everything else really sells yourself short. Don't limit yourself be objective.

I don't say it because I dream it up, it comes from experience. Both from working on these kinds of vehicles as well as just talking with people who've ran these kinds of trucks. I'm only selling myself short on headaches.

Smalltimer1
03-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Or perhaps the glass is twice as big as it should be....

Or only 1/2 the size it should be....

joe7588
03-13-2006, 08:21 AM
I would look closer at Mitsubishi, I have 2 Mitsubishi fg's. A 2001 and 2004
have not had a problem yet. My first 10 years in business all I ran was fords
got tired of spending money on repairing trucks the second the warranty ran out.