PDA

View Full Version : Commercial mower for home use. Help me decide!

KB
03-04-2006, 07:03 PM
I have had a Exmark Turf Tracer HP 48"/17Kaw and an Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"/23Kaw when I was cutting on the side for 5 years. I have since sold both mowers. Now realizing I wish I had kept one, I need a mower for home use. My closest Exmark dealer is 50 mi away. A very good Scag dealer is 5 mi away and I believe they are priced about the same as the Exmark. In reality, I would assume that cutting only my 1 - 1.5 ac. yard as well as my parents I should have no service needs so I do not know if dealer location should be a consideration. I prefer a walkbehind to help with the cost. I have decided on a 48" cut and I like the looks of the Exmark ECS although I have never used it. What would be your recommendation as a personal mower? Exmark, Scag, hydro, non-hydro. There is also a Husky dealer in town and I believe they are much cheaper but I do not know much about them. I just know that I want something dependable, built to last, and that will save me time compared to a "residential" quality mower. Let me know your thoughts and recommendations.

JTF40
03-04-2006, 09:15 PM
If I were in YOUR shoes, I would go with the Scag dealer down the road. It is a great piece of equipment and the dealer is very close. As for me, I love my Kubota ZD21 for personal use.:usflag:

burns60
03-05-2006, 12:47 AM
You surely are correct in wanting to get something that will last. Also will be a pleasure to operate and a couple of acres is no small task.

I use the Exmark HP Lazer, and am completely satisfied with it. Scag is a proven machine as well from all I have read and heard. I don't think you would go wrong with it and the dealer being so close would be a factor.

Now the other thing. Unless you need some exercise I would sure go for the hydros. Get your exercise with the trimmer and edger.

Willofalltrades
03-05-2006, 01:02 AM
I, personally, would look at the Scag Tiger Cub. The price is decient on the new briggs engine option.

B&D Lawn Care
03-05-2006, 01:15 AM
Definitly check out the Tiger cub, jus tain't sold on Briggs. Getcha something that starts w/ a K.

Husky05
03-05-2006, 02:22 AM
I have two husqvarna walk-behinds. One is a 36 inch cut and the other is a 48 inch cut. I have no complaints on either they are both hydro's. However the only thing I would suggest if you do plan on purchasing one, is make sure you buy the ETS (East Touch System) my 48 has that and it so easy to control and very operating friendly. My 36 has the pistol grip and its alittle more strenous to use and sometimes a little annoying. But as for both machines I really like them run great, cut nice and are dependable.