PDA

View Full Version : RPM and Overdrive for F550

Markf
03-04-2006, 06:19 PM
We picked up our "new" used F550 today from the dealer. On the way home I noticed that the OFF light for the overdrive on the shifter does not light up. I am now trying to figure out if the overdrive is on, off or is not working. At 70mph the truck is registering 2800 RPM. I assume that the truck has a 4.11 or 4.88 rear end. Any thoughts on this or how I can figure out the problem. Right now, taking it back to the dealer is a little bit of a hike. (50 miles one way). Thanks.
Mark

Luvs2Play
03-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Did you push the OD button?

Markf
03-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Yes. That is how we know that the off light is not lit. My son has a 2000 F350 and it has the same set up.

TLS
03-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Maybe I don't understand, but why don't you press the button while driving at highway speeds and see if it goes (shifts) into and out of OD?

Luvs2Play
03-04-2006, 07:29 PM
If the light is on, it is not in OD. The light should not come on unless the button is pushed. It should be off when the engine is started. I have not heard of one not coming on. I do know that it will flash if there is a problem with the transmission. It still should come on when you push the button. You may need to take it to a shop and have them read it, that should tell if there is a problem.

Luvs2Play
03-04-2006, 07:31 PM
There was one time my light didn't work right, it was a shift solonoid problem. You could try unhooking the battery and hook it back up and try it, that won't remove any codes, but it will reset it.

lawnmaniac883
03-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Are you trying to suggest that this truck is locked out of od or something? Pushing the od button takes it out of od IIRC; maybe an F550 is different :confused:

Gilla Gorilla
03-04-2006, 09:53 PM
If the truck is used and the light was flashing for the previous owner and it was out of warranty for them they could have just pulled out the overdrive switch on the end of the shifter and pulled the plastic lense off then put a piece of black tape over it to keep it from flashing when they traded it into the dealership. This is probably a long shot though and hopefully it did not happen, or the light could be blown even though I have never seen that happen in 8 years working on Fords at a dealership.

MMLawn
03-04-2006, 10:14 PM
To anwser your question, I doubt seriously that if it is turning 2800 RPM at only 70 MPH that it is in OD. Shoot, my F350 only turns 1900 OUT of OD and in Tow/Haul mode pulling 7,000 lbs behind it. BUT, each time the power is turned off and then back on it should automatically "reset" and go into OD mode.

Gravel Rat
03-04-2006, 11:03 PM
A F-550 has pretty low gears expect the engine to run at anywhere from 2500-3000 rpm doing highways speeds. You will definatly know if the OD is off when you let off the throttle and the truck holds back.

My F-450 with 5spd and 4:63s pulls at 100km/h (62mph) at 2500 or so.

Its the fact of life when you have a 550 they are a heavy truck but you put a load in it she doesn't slow down. It prolly rides a little rough you will want to have a load in the box to tame the springs :laugh:

Before you put the truck in service change all the fluids so change the engine oil, transmission and filter, rear diff. The automatic in the 550s is exactly the same as a F-250 so its a little out of its legue in a 19,000lb gvw truck.

Travel'n Trees
03-04-2006, 11:34 PM
It sounds like ditch the 550 AND GET A DURAMAX since hauling dirt rock or mulch or coal can void the warranty on the 550 immediately. Can you say bye-bye 550.

MMLawn
03-04-2006, 11:48 PM
It sounds like ditch the 550 AND GET A DURAMAX since hauling dirt rock or mulch or coal can void the warranty on the 550 immediately. Can you say bye-bye 550.

Get a DUMMYMAX over a PowerStroke....... that's a good one....man you're funny :laugh:

Brianslawn
03-05-2006, 03:28 AM

i put 10,000 lbs of sod on the back of my 550 2 days ago. 20' trailer with more sod and tools hooked on behind. no problem.

must be too much pollution up there in south KC. youre loosing it!

original poster, i got 4.88 and standard. mine runs that rpm in od at 70. 06 model.

Markf
03-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Took it out on the highway this AM. Counted five gear shifts and pushed the OD button and nothing happened. So, the truck, by default is in OD mode and canceling the OD is not working. I checked all the fuses and they are fine. The dealer replaced the end cap on the gear selector and he may have some how disconnected something inside. I will call him Monday.
Mark

SLSNursery
03-05-2006, 12:16 PM
Travel'n trees - this is the second post I've seen you mention some kind of void warranty on a 550. I'm curious to know where you got the information, and how you verified it. Do you have one and had a problem? We have several F-series, and have had them serviced at the dealer for warranty and non-warranty issues. They haven't asked me once what goes in or out of the truck? Further, the dealers sell me trucks equipped with dump bodies for that type of material and more.

Mark - it looks like you read my post on Plowsite. Good luck on Monday. Could be something simple like a bad relay or disconnected wire.

lawnmaniac883
03-05-2006, 01:04 PM
I think there were 4 shifts then lockup?

kjfaulk
03-07-2006, 10:24 PM
MarkF,
Your truck is like my F450, when you push the button it is not a over drive button.
It is a Tow/Haul mode, which makes the truck shift harder and stay in gear longer.
Also, you should notice that when pushed, the transmission will downshift for you just like you were driving a manual transmission.

Markf
03-11-2006, 01:08 PM
The dealer replaced the whole shifter arm with the OD mechanism included. He also said something about the signal to the transmission. Bottom line-problem resolved under warranty.
Mark

AintNoFun
03-11-2006, 02:59 PM
it was only a matter of time before someone added their 2 cents...

sheshovel
03-11-2006, 03:08 PM
To anwser your question, I doubt seriously that if it is turning 2800 RPM at only 70 MPH that it is in OD. Shoot, my F350 only turns 1900 OUT of OD and in Tow/Haul mode pulling 7,000 lbs behind it. BUT, each time the power is turned off and then back on it should automatically "reset" and go into OD mode.

Exxactly..it resets everytime you start the truck

Travel'n Trees
03-12-2006, 01:26 AM
The zone rep in Missouri, and Louisana both. They are just trying cover up a $.50 savings that FORD decided to make in their air cleaner box, and it's obvious that if you have a turbo and a flat filter you put a strap in the middle to keep it from collapsing in the middle under boost. Their warranty is so bogus,they took the transfer case loose when they fixed a pot metal fuel line (remember it is a diesel and pot metal doesn't mix) Ford saved another $1.00. The tranfer case falls out of the truck and bends front drive shaft,tranfer case, and burns up transmission 280 miles later, FORD says sorry that is not covered, give us $4000.00. FORD stands for lying,cheating, and stealing. Try the customer service line for another joke. The government should step in and close FORD's doors to help the american public!!!