PDA

View Full Version : Man could loose full time job for saying he is an English speaking American

ICE
03-04-2006, 09:28 PM
I just saw this on a news website. I can not believe it. What next?!:usflag:

Tim:cool2:

http://cbs4denver.com/local/local_story_061125200.html

OnMyOwn
03-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Como se dice, "Uh-Oh"!

FSully
03-04-2006, 09:41 PM
SO, I guess it would be ok, if changed his sign to "Spanish speaking American.";) :dizzy:

befnme
03-04-2006, 09:44 PM
i agree that it is freedom of speech but on the same note it aint his property to be parkin on. thats like me telling an employee " i dont care if you smoke but you aint gonna do it in my truck " .now i agree it is his right to smoke but not on/in my property .if his hat violates dress code then he should not wear it until he leaves that job.and if he dosent like what they say about his trailer ( even though it is his right to have it ) then he should leave it at home. he didnt have any equipment on it anyway so obviously he had to go back home to get it. just my .02

cantoo
03-04-2006, 10:00 PM
I don't like Dodge's so does that mean my employees(if I had any) would have to park off my property if they drove one to work? What about employees who wear shirts with marijana leaves on them or other crap? I don't consider myself a racist but this ain't right. Reverse discrimination anyone?

YardPro
03-04-2006, 10:10 PM
I don't like Dodge's so does that mean my employees(if I had any) would have to park off my property if they drove one to work? What about employees who wear shirts with marijana leaves on them or other crap? I don't consider myself a racist but this ain't right. Reverse discrimination anyone?

I would never allow any employee to wear anything with a pot leaf on it. on his time... fine, but not to work.

befnme
03-04-2006, 10:14 PM

imo as far as the dodge goes it dosent really offend you . you just dont like em .now if it had a marijana leaf license tag on the vehicle then you have the right to tell not to put on your property .especialy if your shop is at a place where people drive by and see it and think you hire a bunch of dopeheads .image is everything .on the shirt with the marijana leaves or other offensive material if you work for me you will not wear it on the job. thats why i have uniform shirts .and you better not come in with trashy lookin cut-offs or nuthuggers either .dont get me wrong i love the usa and support it anyway i can but rules are rules.

bigjeeping
03-04-2006, 10:39 PM
We need more men like him.

prizeprop
03-04-2006, 11:15 PM
God bless this guy and God bless America. Would his employer have taken the same actions if it said Spanish,Indian,German,Italian or chinese speaking American? I think not, The average Joe cant even stand up for his beliefs anymore because it might offend someone. They can take all this political correctness and shove it.I'll stop there.

Kilroy
03-05-2006, 12:55 AM
i agree that it is freedom of speech but on the same note it aint his property to be parkin on. thats like me telling an employee " i dont care if you smoke but you aint gonna do it in my truck " .now i agree it is his right to smoke but not on/in my property .if his hat violates dress code then he should not wear it until he leaves that job.and if he dosent like what they say about his trailer ( even though it is his right to have it ) then he should leave it at home. he didnt have any equipment on it anyway so obviously he had to go back home to get it. just my .02I agree, and I believe the courts have, too. As for his sign: Having tried to communicate with the customer service departments of various companies and usually getting connected to somebody in a foreign country with a phony American name speaking incomprehensible English, I think I get his point. He could have just said "I Speak English" on his sign. "We Speak Spanish" is in the windows of thousands of stores across America now, isn't it?

AintNoFun
03-05-2006, 04:03 AM
God bless this guy and God bless America. Would his employer have taken the same actions if it said Spanish,Indian,German,Italian or chinese speaking American? I think not, The average Joe cant even stand up for his beliefs anymore because it might offend someone. They can take all this political correctness and shove it.I'll stop there.

count out us italians and probably germans too, not considered minorities i dont think... but spanish or even better yet African American thats a whole nother story.. this country really is starting to become a joke!

Splicer
03-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Good for him! This politically correct BS has got to stop somewhere! The man is in his rights to display whatever sign he wants IMHO. If he were from a different ethnic group then there would be no story.

When in America learn to speak ENGLISH! If we go abroad we are expected to speak the foreign tongue...

Jason Rose
03-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Thats awesome!

You know what offends me? Calling someplace with an automated answering service and having to listen to all the menu selections in english AND spanish. Almost everything you buy now has English and spanish on it either on opposing sides of the package or directly under the english word is the spanish word. What's really annoying is having to try to read the directions for something and having to flip and fold them 8 ways to sunday to even FIND the english language!

I totally agree it's a double standard. IF his sign said he spoke spanish then no one would or COULD say a word.

Shawns Lawns
03-05-2006, 10:48 AM

I agree. It's to bad when an English Speaking American cannot be proud of his heritage because doing so would offend. And if it was the other way around we all know that it WOULD NOT be a problem.

AintNoFun
03-05-2006, 11:48 AM
i think in NJ now you can take the drivers written test for your permit in like 12 different languages (maybe more i think, i forget), which is a joke. But what good does that do give someone a license in another language when all the road signs are in english?

quiet
03-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Sorry, boys, but you miss the point. This thinly veiled racism cannot be tolerated by a governmental body. He's free to express his beliefs - in his own trailer park, not on county property. Taxpayers come in all colors and speak all languages. That's the taxpayers property, and not a podium for him to express his opinions.

Standing up for his beliefs? Yeah, sure, right. Wearing a "Border Patrol" hat on his county job - where taxpayers pay his salary? Racism in any form is not what this country stands for, and WE (taxpayers) will not tolerate it on OUR property.

So he's just being "proud of his heritage"? How? By subtly denigrating or even vaguely threatening others? That's shows "pride in our country"??

That's how they showed their pride in Nazi Germany, and that's how they "show their pride" in the Middle East. Not here.

prizeprop
03-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Sorry, boys, but you miss the point. This thinly veiled racism cannot be tolerated by a governmental body. He's free to express his beliefs - in his own trailer park, not on county property. Taxpayers come in all colors and speak all languages. That's the taxpayers property, and not a podium for him to express his opinions.

Standing up for his beliefs? Yeah, sure, right. Wearing a "Border Patrol" hat on his county job - where taxpayers pay his salary? Racism in any form is not what this country stands for, and WE (taxpayers) will not tolerate it on OUR property.

So he's just being "proud of his heritage"? How? By subtly denigrating or even vaguely threatening others? That's shows "pride in our country"??

That's how they showed their pride in Nazi Germany, and that's how they "show their pride" in the Middle East. Not here.Give me one VALID reason for his acts being denigrating and threatening to others and how this compares to nazi Germany or the middle east. What if his hat said NYPD or FDNY or 101st AIRBOURNE Div. Would that be ok?

prizeprop
03-05-2006, 12:53 PM
count out us italians and probably germans too, not considered minorities i dont think... but spanish or even better yet African American thats a whole nother story.. this country really is starting to become a joke!
Guess I was trying not to pick on any one, trying to be politically correct. My great granparents were Italian and German.I'm proud to be called an American, Not an Italian American or German American. They all came here with less than $10 each in thier pockets through Ellis Island and the port of Baltimore, worked hard to gain wealth by coal mining in Pageton West Virginia and reparing shoes in Brooklyn, New York and Melt into America and give a tiny bit of culture to this country. They didn't come here and change things the way they wanted them.

RB Lawn
03-05-2006, 01:35 PM

That's how they showed their pride in Nazi Germany, and that's how they "show their pride" in the Middle East. Not here.

Why would you bring up where he lives as a trailer park? Are people in trailer parks all racist?And why would that matter about anything.Is he also not a taxpayer?You talk like he has no rights on taxpayers property because he will express what he believes in. I think he is doing nothing wrong.
I have a friend in law enforcement in an area that is now populated with the majority being Hispanic, and he has told me that the majority of the crime there is from Hispanic gangs and Hispanics here in the US illegally.

LawnMowerMan3875
03-05-2006, 02:16 PM
Guys, we could talk about this subject for the next 10 years and it would still be the same...We, as taxpayers are the subject of our own stupidity. We are the ones putting the officials into office and agreeing on laws that are made up by these officials and we say: "we elected him and he must know what he/she is talking about, because: We elected him....Research people, Know what your voting for before you vote and make sure you agree with the whole thing, not just partial, its not a partial law: Its a whole Law...
But, to the point is, If everyone wants to come to this country because it is a great country, well imo they ought to learn our ways...We broke off of England because of all the taxes and political BS...Now here we are and if everyone would stand back and look at what is really going on, guess what, Are we as Americans going to do another Christopher Columbus...Go looking for new land because our politicians are making up such laws that bind us into thinking the way we do....A true American WILL STAND UP TO WHAT HE BELIEVES IN....I always say, Don't believe another, RESEARCH, RESEARCH AND MORE RESEARCH....

dkeisala
03-05-2006, 02:39 PM
1) Where is it written that one must speak English in order to be an American? Bush himself has difficulty speaking the language.

2) His employer may be curtailing his freedom of speech but if his actions are breeding a hostile work environment then they're probably doing so within reason. Right or wrong, I'd do the same thing. If an employee showed up with something I deem offensive plastered all over his vehicle, hat, shirt or whatever, I'd have a problem with it. Additionally, we all need to know when to bite our tongues. Telling a customer to "f*** off" would fall under freedom of speech but would still be a fire-able offense. Lastly, the word "Dodge" isn't widely viewed as offensive while I could list a litany of words that are considered offensive by most.

3) This guy is just trying to push buttons and is making a fool of himself in the process. Why is he so offended by Mexicans doing lawncare? If more relatively drug-free and sober whiteboys were willing to do it, this wouldn't even be an issue. If this guys behavior is what it means to be a "proud American", I'm not sure I want any part of it. I'm sure members of the Ku Klux Klan are quite proud to be American as well but I don't share their ideals nor do I want to in order to be considered a proud American.

befnme
03-05-2006, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=dkeisala]
3) This guy is just trying to push buttons and is making a fool of himself in the process. QUOTE]

i see it as a cheap advertising ploy . he didnt have enough business to quit the job he already hates so why not start somethin stupid like this to get attention .

Splicer
03-05-2006, 03:02 PM
I must ask why is this guy stupid? For saying he speaks english? C'mon, I know y'all are more intelligent than that!

Also it is NOT written that one must speak ENGLISH to be an American. I know Americans that can speak 7 different languages fluently. But their primary language is ENGLISH.

What makes you think it is just Mexicans? Why do you jump to that conclusion? This applies to Mexicans, Asians, Puerto Ricans, hell everybody. It is NOT against 1 race or cultural ethnicity.

befnme
03-05-2006, 03:18 PM
I must ask why is this guy stupid? For saying he speaks english? C'mon, I know y'all are more intelligent than that!

Also it is NOT written that one must speak ENGLISH to be an American. I know Americans that can speak 7 different languages fluently. But their primary language is ENGLISH.

What makes you think it is just Mexicans? Why do you jump to that conclusion? This applies to Mexicans, Asians, Puerto Ricans, hell everybody. It is NOT against 1 race or cultural ethnicity.

i didnt say " he " was stupid but i think the way he is going about this is. his employer dosent want him showing his beleifs at work whats wrong with that. if he were getting rediculed for flying a terorist banner then yall wouldn't be behind him. why ? after all he would just be showing his beleifs !! and if his employer wanted to fire him because of that yall would be like " yeh fire his america hateing azz .

freddyc
03-05-2006, 03:30 PM
It would be interesting to see if he was warned about this in the past. I think theres more here than meets the eye.

I don't have a problem with him wearing the hat.....I got a bigger problem with people prancing around in pants too big to keep over their butt or covering in tatoos.

With regard to his trailer sign, its probably a bit over the edge but I applaud him for sticking to his beliefs.

English has always been the predominant language in America...if you can't speak it, start learning. Its insulting to all the former people that came here from other countries that had to learn english... you think italians or polish or other asian or european people didn't have to learn it in the early 1900's??

Frankly, I'm sick of all the whining liberals who stand there and scream about violation of rights and so on. This is America, get with the picture...everyones welcome but you can't have a society so ambiguous that the rule of the land is skewed until nobody can understand where they are anymore....it's ENGLISH--simple.

dkeisala
03-05-2006, 03:52 PM

It was an example, not a conclusion. So...you gotta be white AND speak english in order to be in lawncare? And if it's not against one race or cultural ethnicity, then why is it an issue at all?

Splicer
03-05-2006, 04:13 PM
I myself don't care for people that are so one sided and all they can do is split hairs and even then stilll not get the point.

Nowhere in this topic did anyone other than yourself dkeisala say anything about only being white and english speaking to be in lawncare or any other business. Get off your high horse.

I see nothing wrong nor offending about his business sign. I know Motel owners that have the SAME sign (lit up in all its glory for everyone to see) and encounter no problems. If you don't like it, go somewhere else.

And IF the person was flying a terrorist flag your damn skippy I would object. Same as I would in any country that happened in. You are really trying to start some crap with your remarks because you are comparing apples to oranges. A man proudly displaying his nationality (American) and his language (English) is not the same as a non American displaying terrorist flags. God only knows how you could have possibly even come up with such an 'example'.

prizeprop
03-05-2006, 04:20 PM
i didnt say " he " was stupid but i think the way he is going about this is. his employer dosent want him showing his beleifs at work whats wrong with that. if he were getting rediculed for flying a terorist banner then yall wouldn't be behind him. why ? after all he would just be showing his beleifs !! and if his employer wanted to fire him because of that yall would be like " yeh fire his america hateing azz .
This guy is not putting any one else down, when or where is he doing that? All he is doing is stating what he is. IF he had a sign that said english speaking Americans are better and more civil than foreigners . You would have a point. Where does it state anything offensive on his hat. If he had **** patrol I could see your point.

hardcharger
03-05-2006, 04:25 PM
a local lawn service has an advertisement here in my hometown paper the ad says help wanted some engish needed, no exp, necesarry, i called the guy and told him that he was a poor excuse for an american , and he was puttin hard working americans out of work. and promoting poor buisness practices with the ad, if you wanna hire an immagrant ok, but dont advertise it, i guess im wrong accordinng to the article, its a matter of opinion i suppose, a good lawler is what that guy with the sign needs, protect the free speech amendment, :usflag:

dkeisala
03-05-2006, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=Splicer]Nowhere in this topic did anyone other than yourself dkeisala say anything about only being white and english speaking to be in lawncare or any other business. Get off your high horse.QUOTE]

Quote: "There are a lot of people in the lawn service that are non-English speaking," Gray said.

Quote: his supervisor Monty Sedlak wrote the following:

"Some of your conduct ... is reprehensible and discriminatory to our non-English speaking and/or Hispanic workforce.

You don't sense a bit of racial bias in there? Read his sign. The guy is trying to make a statement, not merely inform people that he speaks english.

This guy drives around town working his little lawn biz and probably fumes every time he sees a truckload of non-english speaking, non-americans doing the same job as he does.

Nobody came right out and said you have to be white and english speaking to be in lawncare, it's inferred. Sometimes what's not said speaks loudest.

drumbo
03-05-2006, 08:10 PM

That is the wrong side of this issue. The Freedom of Speech is protected MORE because he was ON public county property...property even HE paid taxes for. He has the right to his beliefs and the government has NO right to encroach upon it...unless it is going to incite a riot or something.
But the BIGGEST problem of all is thinking that ILLEGAL people BREAKING the LAW living here without permission have rights...Not under OUR Constitution. Same goes for the detainees...they are NOT afforded OUR rights just because we CAUGHT them...

Splicer
03-05-2006, 08:25 PM
WHOA whoa whoa!!! Hold the phone here!!! This has absolutely positively NOTHING to do with a persons beliefs.

This has everything to do with a man advertising the FACT that he is a Lawn Service that is done with pride (shouldn't ALL be like that?) by an ENGLISH speaking AMERICAN...WTF is wrong with that? Unspoken words my arse. All it tells me is the guy doesnt speak any foreign languages. And you have a problem with that?

Go ahead and take your marbles and go home kid. Oh here...lemme offend y'all right now then:

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

befnme
03-05-2006, 08:28 PM
He's free to express his beliefs - in his own trailer park, not on county property. Taxpayers come in all colors and speak all languages. That's the taxpayers property, and not a podium for him to express his opinions.

i agree here , not about the trailer park comment i live in a trailer that i own placed on the back side of 40+ acres that is paid for . but back to the point .i love the fact that he loves his country and that he shows it . but if his boss dosent want it on his property then wait until you leave the property to show it .you dont want to see a law enforcement officer in a bar getting hammered in his uniform right ? why ? because in him uniform he represents his city , county or state .now what if he shows up dressed like you and me and gets hammered ? nobody cares . why ? because he is now just a regular citizen .it's not about you expressing yourself but how ,where and when .

lawncare3
03-05-2006, 08:46 PM
I think me and mike are gonna have lunch next week.

ozd12005
03-05-2006, 09:13 PM
We need more men like him.

I agree 100% :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

quiet
03-05-2006, 09:53 PM
That is the wrong side of this issue. The Freedom of Speech is protected MORE because he was ON public county property...property even HE paid taxes for. He has the right to his beliefs and the government has NO right to encroach upon it...unless it is going to incite a riot or something.
But the BIGGEST problem of all is thinking that ILLEGAL people BREAKING the LAW living here without permission have rights...Not under OUR Constitution. Same goes for the detainees...they are NOT afforded OUR rights just because we CAUGHT them...

He certainly does NOT have the "right" to express or display discriminatory beliefs while he's at work for a county agency, or while he's at his workplace on publicly held property. At work, he is employed by, and represents the agency. And the laws are specific about discrimination, harassment. The governmental agency involved here has every right to see that the laws against discrimination and harassment are obeyed by their employess.

He can express himself all he wants on his own property, or run his lawn care business the way he wants.

And I sincerely apologize for my offensive remark about the trailer park.

Envy Lawn Service
03-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Right here is all this boils down to...

"I got a new supervisor," said Gray. "He's a politically correct, bleeding heart liberal.

I bet there was never a problem until this new guy came in on the job and saw this as a way to 'flex his supervisor muscles' and show forced authority.

RB Lawn
03-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Right here is all this boils down to...

I bet there was never a problem until this new guy came in on the job and saw this as a way to 'flex his supervisor muscles' and show forced authority.

Exactly what I was thinking!

cantoo
03-05-2006, 10:35 PM
What would happen if I moved to Texas or wherever this guy lives and put a Canadian flag on my truck and wrote "American lawns done with pride by a English speaking Canadian"? I don't see anything wrong with this guy's sign and I bet there is alot more to the story that what we have seen here. I travel to Michigan quite abit and I see signs all the time saying "we speak spanish. Just take a look in the triad and other used car papers there are lots of ads that say we speak spanish (in spanish). I have to deal with a person who speaks very little english in my day job and it's very very frustrating to try to get my point across. People complain all the time about dealing with this person most end up hanging up then drive to the office and a secretary there ends up doing his job because no one will talk to him. I hope he is taking english lessons. PS, it's a govenment type job. I would love to have seen his interview for the job, he has no experience for the job.

cantoo
03-05-2006, 10:43 PM
What is your impression of this statement?

we are a minorty business.

Is it apporiate?

Splicer
03-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Minority can be black, women, or foreign...whats your point?

cantoo
03-05-2006, 10:55 PM
This is happening more and more around the cities here. I'm just not sure who is the minority anymore so I have no idea what they mean when they write it on an ad.

tteckster
03-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Minority can be black, women, or foreign...whats your point?
Or an english speaking American......lol

Bay de Noc Lawn Car
03-05-2006, 11:28 PM
As long as the message is not illegal such as calling for an assassination, or interfering with work. No employer has the right to sensor the speech of employee who is not dealing with the public. As far as being on public property, it really does not matter, your rights if anything should be greater.

:usflag: :clapping:

Splicer
03-05-2006, 11:48 PM
This is happening more and more around the cities here. I'm just not sure who is the minority anymore so I have no idea what they mean when they write it on an ad.
How do they write it on an ad? "We are a minority business"?

befnme
03-05-2006, 11:55 PM
As long as the message is not illegal such as calling for an assassination, or interfering with work. No employer has the right to sensor the speech of employee who is not dealing with the public. As far as being on public property, it really does not matter, your rights if anything should be greater.

:usflag: :clapping:

so are you saying that in a public setting you would allow one of you employee's to wear a shirt with profanity on it ? after all it is his freedom of expression.

Splicer
03-06-2006, 12:00 AM
Don't forget people that the issue is this man is proudly proclaiming that he is an American that speaks English. The phone # however is another issue unless he has the proper permits to display it. If his fellow employees feel 'harrassed' or 'threatened' because this guy wears a hat that says US Boder Patrol on it, that is not his fault. The people who complain probably can't read english or write english I'd guess. So the new boss caved.

Hewlett-Packard (HP) was a great American company. Now I have to talk to India or Cambodia to resolve a problem that keeps me on the phone because gee, I'm sorry, I only understand english. I live in America. I can't understand 95% of what the person, however qualified or not, is saying thanks to the accent. I have no desire to go to another country and live. I dont want to learn another language. Is that wrong too?

I'm offended that I should be subjected to all of the bi-lingual instructions but does it matter that I, a brees born and raised American am offended? Oh hell no! Why? Because we can't offend the MINORITY...God help this country...

cantoo
03-06-2006, 12:09 AM
dplicer, it's written as the last sentence describing their business. Just an observation I guess?

General Landscaping
03-06-2006, 12:16 AM
Get fired.... take 'em to court.:gunsfirin

Let them try to prove the hat worn by Border Patrol agents is offensive.

Should stoners, at a workplace be able to get a guy fired for wearing a DEA hat?

The signage on the truck is offensive to who? ....... Who is offended by the fact that he 1: performs lawn maintenance 2: is American 3: speaks English..... which of these is offensive, and why?

Bay de Noc Lawn Car
03-06-2006, 12:26 AM
So are you saying that in a public setting you would allow one of you employee's to wear a shirt with profanity on it ? after all it is his freedom of expression.

No. Profanity of any kind has never been protected by our bill of rights, at least not until recent years, Gota love those lawyers hugh.:hammerhead:

Thirdpete
03-06-2006, 12:36 AM
that'as a backwards form of "freedom of speech". the point of having a first amendment (and the other nine that compromise the bill of rights) is to protect unpopular beliefs. popular beliefs obviously do not need that protection.

and as far as that employee is concerned, he should keep his political beliefs out of work. period. i don't care if an employee is a klansman or a black panther, when you step onto work property, you are an employee. nothing more and nothing less. check any baggage that isn't work related at the door.

befnme
03-06-2006, 02:28 AM
i understand where the guy is comin from though . god i hate to be standing in the grocery line and hear all of the goobel de gosh being spoken right behind me .then when they get to the register they say " hey how are you ". that realy gripes my azz .or they claim to " no speaky english " yeh right ,cuss em out and see what happens .they heard ya alright.

ronniez71
03-13-2006, 11:23 AM
That sign is bad ass!! If they dont like it take there ass back were they come from!! Sick of this bull ****!!!!

lawncare3
04-28-2006, 12:56 AM
Update...

He has sent me some accounts since then. He even gave me a ride in one neighborhood when I couldn't walk my fatass around to find my helpers :usflag: :usflag: Good guy and I wanted to put that on my trailer but he beat me to it.