PDA

View Full Version : Is this for real?

miketina
03-04-2006, 09:06 PM
My wife and I will be starting in the business this year. We received a flyer on our door today. It's gotta be a joke. All it is is a yellow sheet of paper, torn in half I think, with black type offering to mow most lawns for $15. It did not even state the name of the company or the person's name. Just a phone number. It also tried to state some benefits for using a mowing service. Most lawns in my area are a 1/4 acre.
Is this what I have to compete with?
Should I take this flier seriously?
I would just be covering my costs if I did it for this price.
I am thinking it's just a teenage kid in the neighborhood.
Looking for some feedback from everyone.
Thanks

olderthandirt
03-04-2006, 09:15 PM
My wife and I will be starting in the business this year. We received a flyer on our door today. It's gotta be a joke. All it is is a yellow sheet of paper, torn in half I think, with black type offering to mow most lawns for $15. It did not even state the name of the company or the person's name. Just a phone number. It also tried to state some benefits for using a mowing service. Most lawns in my area are a 1/4 acre.
Thanks

YES, to all of the above.

befnme
03-04-2006, 09:19 PM
most people will prob look at it like you did " some teenage kid " . i wouldnt sweat it to bad .when he cuts their lawn and royaly screws it up they will call you. or you could broker him out ,just charge your regular price and only pay him 15.00 and pocket the rest .lol .:laugh: sit on your badonkadonk and make money.

parttimer
03-04-2006, 09:33 PM
Yes you will have to deal with this and lots of other things also. The teenage part well there one in my area that has over 50 yards and he has 1are 2 friends helping him in the last to years they have all made money because they all have nice trucks and scag wb. So get ready.:usflag:

miketina
03-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Should I ask for an estimate and if he's not legal turn him in?

Precision
03-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Thanks

we aren't allowed to use the word for people like that anymore. But the point isn't really the price, but the lack of professionalism. I don't even see people like that as competition. I see them as a godsend. They take away all the bottom feeding customers, the Pita's, the majority of the people who really don't have the $15 on a regular basis to pay for the lawn to get cut.

So hopefully, those who see my professionally done advertising will realize that I probably take as much care with the lawn as I do with my advertising and are willing to pay double or triple the photocopy guys ad.