PDA

View Full Version : Leave a price per cut? Or no....

Killswitch
03-04-2006, 10:49 PM
On a professional postcard flyer that will be hand delivered.

Whats you guys experience.....quote em a weekly cut price at that time or wait for a call?

Ive seen it done both ways of course.....whats the school of thought here.

Discuss!

befnme
03-05-2006, 12:55 AM
i meet with them and ask if i can give them an estimate 90% will accept it.

Killswitch
03-05-2006, 12:59 AM
Yes but Im talking about a flyer that will be delivered without door knocking. Is it a good or bad idea to leave weekly cut and trim price?

Or,not.

befnme
03-05-2006, 01:15 AM
Yes but Im talking about a flyer that will be delivered without door knocking. Is it a good or bad idea to leave weekly cut and trim price?

Or,not.

uummm . i did that when i first got started and i think it hendered alot of calls you just want them to call you to go out there .once there you can start your " why you need me " speach .but if you give them a price before speaking with them you might turn them off.

B&D Lawn Care
03-05-2006, 01:18 AM
If you are gonna go door to door then for go the flyer and let your words do the talkin. People like to be talked to not just here ya go. You would leave a better impression that way.

Killswitch
03-05-2006, 01:20 AM
See thats what Im thinking too, and I can sell once I get them in a face to face or on the phone. Been in the industry for 22 years, know the product and have the technique. Just starting out my own small outfit....above board and legit as well.

But yeah.....I need to make a decision very soon as I need to order my piece.

I may just do it without a price.

Killswitch
03-05-2006, 01:22 AM
If you are gonna go door to door then for go the flyer and let your words do the talkin. People like to be talked to not just here ya go. You would leave a better impression that way.

Yeah but people dont like being bothered unsolicited. Ill wait for calls.

I've found cold knocking uncomfortable for me and the person answering the door.

Not only that a lot of the cities here are going the way of permits required if you knock.

B&D Lawn Care
03-05-2006, 01:24 AM
You could leave the area for price blank and pencil it in if they are not available.
As far as the phone call goes I would just say

hello, I'm ....., are you happy w/ your current LCO? May I come out and give you an estimate. Ok thanks.

Killswitch
03-05-2006, 01:31 AM
I am not knocking on doors and or cold calling B/D.

This is an upscale two side postcard that will be bagged, and hand delivered to limited areas repeatedly combined with some political signage at appropriate entrances and such.

I may knock on some doors and certainly will speak to any people I run into but I dont have the time to knock on em all and that pisses people off more than anything.

If they need the service theyll call because theyll be impressed with the flyer on THAT day....because I know theyll get five more that week.

Im hoping for a closing rate of maybe 4 to 6 new clients per 1000.

Frankly Im hoping the phone rings at all!

Ya never know

WarEagleCRL
03-05-2006, 02:49 AM
Big Mistake! Put the price on there! People are much more likely to call when they see the price. Think about it, you're one step closer to getting their business the first time they see your flyer/card. Not saying you should under cut anyone's prices, but if they get your flyer without a price and they already have a service, they'll throw yours away without thinking twice. If the price is on there already, and yours is close, the same or lower, they'll at least hang on to it and see if there service comes up short in the future. I've tried a lot of soliciting, everyway I can think of. The best way is knocking on doors, but you are very limited to how many you can reach per day. If youre doing door hangers and not knocking, much higher productivity. It's always a numbers game, with a price on it they're much more likely to call or at least hang on to it. You're giving them another option without ever talking to them. Ive even had people call from neighborhoods I hadn't bid in two yrs! And I've never had anyone complain if the first time I showed up I had to charge more for the initial visit, or $5-10 more per visit. Worked wonders for me.

B&D Lawn Care
03-05-2006, 02:57 AM
I am not knocking on doors and or cold calling B/D.

This is an upscale two side postcard that will be bagged, and hand delivered to limited areas repeatedly combined with some political signage at appropriate entrances and such.

I may knock on some doors and certainly will speak to any people I run into but I dont have the time to knock on em all and that pisses people off more than anything.

If they need the service theyll call because theyll be impressed with the flyer on THAT day....because I know theyll get five more that week.

Im hoping for a closing rate of maybe 4 to 6 new clients per 1000.

Frankly Im hoping the phone rings at all!

Ya never know

Chill out I just thought I was giving advice. My apologies I did not see the no knocking thing.

Richard Martin
03-05-2006, 05:51 AM
I like to let my abilities as a salesman do the selling, not the price. I have had occasions before where the customer has said that I was too expensive initially and I still came away with the job without lowering the price.

Mike M
03-05-2006, 10:05 AM
In the service industry, we're not all selling the same thing, a low price for a lawn guy raises a flag on quality and reliability. If they need a lawn serice, they will call, and if they've had services before, they are always happy to tell me what they paid the last guy. I swing by to see the lawn, knock on the door, and decide to match or charge more. I'm selling the concept of reliable, professional service, commercial equipment, etc. I can also ask them why they need service/what happened to the last guy. My best customers all have one thing in common: they want quality and reliability first.

Flex-Deck
03-05-2006, 11:52 AM
I like personal contact with new possible properties. I have pictures (4 per 8 1/2 x 11 - 2 sheets) that I had printed by a photo shop, and I stick my card on the back of one. I like to go around and walk in and show them what we do, and ask if they are in the market for bidding out the mowing, trimming etc. The pictures show our quality, and if they are interested, I take my range finder out, measure the yard, and have a bid in their hand in about 10 minutes usually.

I have found that the people you deal with really pay attention when you have proof of your quality via pictures.

I also state in my conversation that if they are presently using an LCO, and are happy with him to keep him, but that I would appreciate it if they filled the pictures in their lawn care file, in case there would be future problems, such as the LCO retireing etc.

olderthandirt
03-05-2006, 12:39 PM
I like personal contact with new possible properties. I have pictures (4 per 8 1/2 x 11 - 2 sheets) that I had printed by a photo shop, and I stick my card on the back of one. I like to go around and walk in and show them what we do, and ask if they are in the market for bidding out the mowing, trimming etc. The pictures show our quality, and if they are interested, I take my range finder out, measure the yard, and have a bid in their hand in about 10 minutes usually.

I have found that the people you deal with really pay attention when you have proof of your quality via pictures.

I also state in my conversation that if they are presently using an LCO, and are happy with him to keep him, but that I would appreciate it if they filled the pictures in their lawn care file, in case there would be future problems, such as the LCO retireing etc.

Pics worth a 1000 words. Why try and talk about your great work when you can show them. I also have a copy of pest lisc and liability ins. included with the pics. I like to mention that its the law and to there advantage that any LCO they have or are considering also show proof

whiteslawnservices
03-05-2006, 01:50 PM
In a Business to Business situation a flyer is not good Business, Business cards are the best looks alot more professional plus when you bid all ways put Pricing monthy because when it gets in the winter your out every 2 weeks not every week and if you price per cut you dont eat during the winter time so its better to give a monthly charge with proper wording like in the winter months we keep the leaves up trim trees etc.and trash and debris removal you realy want the yearly contracts no seasonal we wont take a bi-weekly bi weekly grass is 4-6 inches high wanting you to mow it for a 1 cut price think they need your service and your the man to get the job done right.:) :gmctruck: :gmctruck:

one man gang
03-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Chill out I just thought I was giving advice. My apologies I did not see the no knocking thing.

Thanks bro!

Killswitch
03-05-2006, 02:40 PM
In a Business to Business situation a flyer is not good Business, Business cards are the best looks alot more professional plus when you bid all ways put Pricing monthy because when it gets in the winter your out every 2 weeks not every week and if you price per cut you dont eat during the winter time so its better to give a monthly charge with proper wording like in the winter months we keep the leaves up trim trees etc.and trash and debris removal you realy want the yearly contracts no seasonal we wont take a bi-weekly bi weekly grass is 4-6 inches high wanting you to mow it for a 1 cut price think they need your service and your the man to get the job done right.:)

Periods Man! Periods!!!! Thats the longest run on sentence I've ever read. lol

Oh and BD sorry if you took offense. I wasnt tryin to be rude, was just stating fact.

befnme
03-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Pics worth a 1000 words. Why try and talk about your great work when you can show them. I also have a copy of pest lisc and liability ins. included with the pics. I like to mention that its the law and to there advantage that any LCO they have or are considering also show proof

eacactly ^^^^^^^^^ i encourage folks to visit my website to see before and after pics of my work i also put a link in there that shows the top 10 reasons to hire a professional lawn care service.

xpresskut
03-07-2006, 10:31 AM
As stated above flyers for commercial accts are a bad idea. Better off with face to face.
As for res. accts, flyers are great. I do not think you should leave a price though. It gives the homeowner the idea that you were looking around their property while they were not home. Because, you do need to see the back lawn area as well as the front, and you do need to measure it especially if your going to be pricing apps for them. It would make me uneasy that someone was learking around my home without me there.
People can also misunderstand the flyer and instead of asking questions they just get turned off. You are more likely to get a call if they need more info such as a price. Then you can set up a face to face. A flyer will never get you a job. Only you can do that. A flyer will get you in the door however.

ndunn
03-07-2006, 01:24 PM
flyers with prices on them, i have found, encourage no-nonsense customers. The price is what it is, they know before they call, and if they call you've already got them. That said, I'm priced low. Flame away big guys, but that suits my lifestyle.

Remsen1
03-07-2006, 01:53 PM

I don't think people like to be talked to. People like to not be bothered. However by talking to people (even though you're going to irritate 9 out of 10) out of the people that hear you out, you will probably close on a higher percentage of them than from a flyer alone.

cvlm
03-07-2006, 02:10 PM
What about using your lowest price which would be the smallest yard and using that number to start ie. service starting as low as $20.00 per week then when you get there now you have them face to face and can explain what a $20.00 yard is and what theres will cost i was thinking of doing trying it this year what do you guys think. thanks

dsmrolla06
03-07-2006, 02:53 PM
As stated above flyers for commercial accts are a bad idea. Better off with face to face.
As for res. accts, flyers are great. I do not think you should leave a price though. It gives the homeowner the idea that you were looking around their property while they were not home. Because, you do need to see the back lawn area as well as the front, and you do need to measure it especially if your going to be pricing apps for them. It would make me uneasy that someone was learking around my home without me there.
People can also misunderstand the flyer and instead of asking questions they just get turned off. You are more likely to get a call if they need more info such as a price. Then you can set up a face to face. A flyer will never get you a job. Only you can do that. A flyer will get you in the door however.

I disagree. People arent going to want to waste their time playing games just to get a price. Putting a price on the flier is much more likely to get you a call. That price doesnt have to be for their yard, but you can state like someone else had 'as low as ..." This will get you higher percentage on fliers.

Also, put in a sense of urgency for the consumer. Why should they call you when the pick up the flier? I make the price i list sound like a special offer, its not but it its perceived that way. I put a deadline as a headline 'call by ...' This will get you better percentages than just hoping the customer felt like calling you that day and trying to sweet talk them.

daveintoledo
03-07-2006, 03:09 PM
you are supposed to be selling your expert service not your price......price shoppers and those who base there clientel on prices are on the lower end of the spectrum.... nothing wrong with that if that is what you want......

but selling your service instead of price has alot of advantages...... this is the first thing i learned from the veterans here.....

you will be attracting the wrong kind of clientel..... cheap.......

DONT SELL YOUR PRICE....SELL YOUR SERVICE

Killswitch
03-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Lots of excellent and different replies. I ended up putting an area for price highlighted on my postcard/flyer.

I gave it a lot of thought and considered all of your ideas. I can see both ways....

One of the things that put me over the edge though was my analogy of.....Take the sale paper you get from the grocery store. Do they say....Tomatos are on sale this week. Comon in! No....They put a price on there. They do that for a reason.

My brother owns thirty retail stores in the south. He seemed adament that I dont put a price on there and get the call and sell myself. Fine.....I suggested putting the price on there, getting the call, and also selling myself and upselling as well. His company spent 1.7 million on marketing last year and the most of that was print media ads. I asked him if he put his sale item prices in the ad....he said of course. I asked why.....He said so they know the price, like the price, come in, buy that item and five more that arent on sale.

See my point?

But I can see it both ways. Some of the upscale homes Ill be targeting wont get a price....itll just say call for imediate quote....or something along those lines.

Been sizing lawns for 20 years and theres some I wont bet on with a visual...

My Sale analogies dont mean Ill be lowballing.