PDA

View Full Version : How can I market Primo Maxx? So customers will cover my PGR cost?

HenryB
03-04-2006, 10:45 PM
I want to save on labor this year by applying the plant growth regulator Primo Maxx. It will be tough to convince my clients to pay for something that will slow down their lawn's growth so I can save on labor. Any ideas on how I can cleverly market this?

B&D Lawn Care
03-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Well if you were me you could use your last name.:)

Killswitch
03-05-2006, 12:05 AM
lol.....Mowing and the use of GR's dont go hand in hand.

Unless its a hard to mow area, or perhaps an "unimproved" area.

Stuffs 300 a gallon. Goes a long way, but its tricky to use also. Ive used it on a limited scale and on good irrigated turf I was disapointed with the minor yellowing.

But it works theres no doubt about it.

befnme
03-05-2006, 12:23 AM
the way i figure it , if it will save you money in the long run why not just do it instead of trying to get paid to do something that will decrease the work for wich you already get paid to do ?its like you want them to pay you to work less . dont get me wrong i am not trying to be a hard azz but when i see something i can do to save me time or headache i just do it. like ditchbanks for example : if a person pays me to do a ditchbank i ask them if i can kill it instaed of using a line trimmer every week . if they say yes then i kill it on my dime no theirs after all it is saving me work.

Killswitch
03-05-2006, 12:26 AM
Yeah but Maxx is over 3 bills a gallon....lol Ya dont throw it around lightly, but I see your point. I do plan on some fenceline and tree ring roundup work for ease but theres some that will pay for it as well because ultimately it ends up working out better for them.

teeca
03-05-2006, 12:31 AM
mix it with iron and it will most likly not yellow the turf

Killswitch
03-05-2006, 12:37 AM
Or subsequent coverage apps of iron....good call.

ThreeWide
03-05-2006, 08:26 AM
I applied 3 rounds of primo+iron on several Bermuda lawns last year in June, July, and August. First of all, my product cost to apply on 10M sq ft was $15 including the iron.

Since these properties were mowed with a reel, it made that work much easier. Without primo, these lawns would have been mowed TWICE per week. That was what happened in 2004 without primo.

These customers pay a flat monthly maint fee, so obviously the less mowing the better. The $15 spent on primo saved 3-4 mowings per month during the Summer. And the turf was MUCH improved with it. The Bermuda was very dense and tight. Each mowing visit was easier because the amount of clippings were minimal. Customers told me their lawn had never looked better.

These customers had no idea I was using a PGR. That said, if you want to sell this type of application to your customer, inform them that primo actually improves the root system. This is because the turf uses less energy for topgrowth.

FWIW, Primo is cheaper to purchase in the WSB form.