PDA

View Full Version : New business looking for a little help

jkrueger
03-04-2006, 10:53 PM
I have started a new company and I have had a few bites. I gave an estimate yesterday, but I am afraid of overpricing!! Do you guys have a "standard" of what you charge for jobs? i.e. planting, mowing, etc.

dtelawncare
03-04-2006, 11:31 PM
I will start off telling you what 90% of every one else will. YOU have to know how much it costs you to operate and how much you need and want to make. I charge $35 an hour. I do not tell customers this, but this is my rate.

befnme
03-04-2006, 11:34 PM
I have started a new company and I have had a few bites. I gave an estimate yesterday, but I am afraid of overpricing!! Do you guys have a "standard" of what you charge for jobs? i.e. planting, mowing, etc.

yes , but you have to test the waters where you are .i have a 25.00 min for even the smallest lawn .i have a restaurant that i do it takes literaly 10 min for everything and i charge 25.00 ,as for planting and scapes that depends on what they want . for instance a 4x8 bed of border brick is almost 3 times more than a 4x8 with that crappy plastic stuff .then it depends on the filler ie: stone ,crushed brick ,mulch ,???????? you see there are hundreds of variables .

29 Palms Property Management
03-04-2006, 11:47 PM

It's better to overprice a job and not get it then it is to under-price and kick yourself in the a$$ all year because you're not making enough and it's taking longer then expected. You'll learn the more you bid. Bid what you think and what you want to bid. Never back away from your price. Be confident that the offer you gave is in fact what you want to do the job.

jkrueger
03-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the advice. Also, what is the best way to advertise? I thought about dropping flyers in mailboxes, but I don't think that is very professional. Should I pay for a mailing list? Any ideas?

nephilim0167
03-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Door hangers tend to work good. Personally word of mouth advertising is the only way to go. You need to be a walking billboard. Wear your company shirt when you go grocery shopping. Always have a business card on you. ALWAYS be willing to explain your services. I wouldn't advise putting fliers in mail boxes as that is illegal. You could mail fliers but that can get expensive very quickly. Not to mention most people would probably just consider it "junk mail" and toss it. Good luck to ya, keep your chin up and chest out.

befnme
03-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the advice. Also, what is the best way to advertise? I thought about dropping flyers in mailboxes, but I don't think that is very professional. Should I pay for a mailing list? Any ideas?

it also aint very legal .beleive me the usps will call you about it . pay bulk postage .

jkrueger
03-05-2006, 06:03 PM
I appreciate the advice. It is funny how quickly the business cards go out. It seems like I am handing them out like it was money. I just wish more people would finally call on them!!! Thanks for all the advice guys! Good luck to all of you!!

New Image Lawn and Scapes
03-05-2006, 10:16 PM
I know that the 18x24 in yard signs work. put them out at major intersections.