PDA

View Full Version : walker mower time saver?

crzymow
03-05-2006, 01:48 AM
I am looking to purchase a walker mower, do you save a lot of time as compare to using a walk behind with a bagger? thanks .

Brianslawn
03-05-2006, 01:53 AM
I am looking to purchase a walker mower, do you save a lot of time as compare to using a walk behind with a bagger? thanks .

yes. we do 4 yards an hour for 2 man crew with ours. how bout your wb?

crzymow
03-05-2006, 01:56 AM
what size lawns are they? most of mine are between 6-12000, but i do have a few larger

Brianslawn
03-05-2006, 02:02 AM
around that size. if they are smaller and all side by side, then 6 an hour. i got 7 of those yellow machines, so any ?'s down the road, just pm me. they are real good on hills, too.

Bull
03-05-2006, 03:16 AM
Brianslawn, hello my friend how are you doing? Quick question for you concerning the walker mowers. I am looking to purchase one in the next week or so and wanted to get your opinion on something. If buying a new one and having to choose between the proven 26hp or the newly introduced 31hp which way would you go? Also as for options I was thinking about the tine attachment and the electric dump. If I pass on the electric dump will I regret it shortly down the road? Thanks for your help and by the way "she" is yours next week, I will be out of the office.

Brianslawn
03-05-2006, 04:13 AM
Brianslawn, hello my friend how are you doing? Quick question for you concerning the walker mowers. I am looking to purchase one in the next week or so and wanted to get your opinion on something. If buying a new one and having to choose between the proven 26hp or the newly introduced 31hp which way would you go? Also as for options I was thinking about the tine attachment and the electric dump. If I pass on the electric dump will I regret it shortly down the road? Thanks for your help and by the way "she" is yours next week, I will be out of the office.

ive had lots of probs with 26. 18 is my favorite. 20 and 22 engines are identical, carb is only difference. as for the dump, manual is quicker and less costly to fix. i got the tines, aerator, and plow, but only use them maybe once a year. the 2 electric dumps are available after market and you can always add later. 13 is best on hills with 18 set up right a #2 choice for slopes. bigger is not always better, my friend.

Bull
03-05-2006, 05:52 AM
I demoed a 26 back last fall and it pulled down somewhat when I was cutting through some bermuda which grows really dense on some of my properties. For the most part though it would be used on fescue and working around areas with beds, walkways and parked vehicles. I will look into the specs on the 18 and thanks.

crzymow
03-05-2006, 09:07 AM
do you dump your grass on the properties you mow or take with you? and if you take it with you, how do u load it in your truck..thanks

Mowingman
03-05-2006, 09:33 AM
I was running 2 Walkers until last year when I phased out my smaller residential properties. I like the 20HP Kohler, with 42" mulch, and 48" GHS decks. The engines on both machines gave me zero problems. One had about 1200hrs, and the other had 1700 hrs.
Be sure you get the big capacity hopper, as even that one can fill up quick. I would not spend the money on the highlift dump, if that is the one you had in mind. You can not use that on anything but perfectly level ground. Get the removable plastic bins that fit inside of the hopper. Then, you can just pull them out and quickly dump them into a trash can, trailer, or truck bed.
My first Walker allowed me to double the amount of lawns I could do in a day when I was a solo operator.

Brianslawn
03-05-2006, 11:15 AM
we back on to the trailer and dump the grass on the front. we have dump boxes on 2 of the trailers (16'&20') for easy unloading then. we used to scrape the grass and leaves off with the tractor. i use the my 18 mostly on bermuda yards with no problem

John Gamba
03-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Does anybody know who makes the 31Hp engine?? Is it FI--l/c??

MOW ED
03-05-2006, 02:37 PM
John I believe it is a Kohler Aegis LC and FI 31HP. My dealer says around 12K+ for one. Check this link out it is a dealer but it is more detailed than you cna find on Walkers site. http://www.zimmfamily.com/products/Walker/mtlghs31spec.html

Supposedly the thing has a bigger blower and is faster than the other Walkers. We all know Walkers don't speed but 7MPH isn't too bad. I can mayby see a guy that mows 5 days a week for 6 to 8 hours a day buying the beast but I am happy withe the 26. I know Brian has had prob's with the 26 but my experience is different. Mine has almost 1500hrs on it and has been very reliable. It is a 2000 year model also which was brave of me because the did release a few in 99 but 2000 was the first test of the new engine on a production level. It did have one design flaw that was found almost in the first 100 hours. Kohler used a Bosch fuel pump that had a very fine screen on the intake of the pump. So fine that the Kohler was burning the pump up trying to pull fuel thru. It was a quick warranty fix and she has been pretty good since.
Walker is a good machine and it makes me lots of green in the spring time. good luck.

John Gamba
03-05-2006, 02:57 PM
John I believe it is a Kohler Aegis LC and FI 31HP. My dealer says around 12K+ for one. Check this link out it is a dealer but it is more detailed than you cna find on Walkers site. http://www.zimmfamily.com/products/Walker/mtlghs31spec.html

Supposedly the thing has a bigger blower and is faster than the other Walkers. We all know Walkers don't speed but 7MPH isn't too bad. I can mayby see a guy that mows 5 days a week for 6 to 8 hours a day buying the beast but I am happy withe the 26. I know Brian has had prob's with the 26 but my experience is different. Mine has almost 1500hrs on it and has been very reliable. It is a 2000 year model also which was brave of me because the did release a few in 99 but 2000 was the first test of the new engine on a production level. It did have one design flaw that was found almost in the first 100 hours. Kohler used a Bosch fuel pump that had a very fine screen on the intake of the pump. So fine that the Kohler was burning the pump up trying to pull fuel thru. It was a quick warranty fix and she has been pretty good since.
Walker is a good machine and it makes me lots of green in the spring time. good luck.

Thank You. i heard the bigger engines will get the bigger fan or blower. The info looks good.

I may look at one and i had alot of the 26Fi's on lazers and liked them alot.

John Gamba
03-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Has anybody used the 74" deck on a nice lawn?? How was the cut and do you know the blade speed??:usflag:

edward hedrick
03-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Precision Work had a 74 at Schmidts field day in Aug 04. Seemed like a big

deck for 5 mph Ed

Mr.Mow-It-All
03-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Has anybody used the 74" deck on a nice lawn?? How was the cut and do you know the blade speed??:usflag:

Yeh, I had one last year. It was provided a very nice cut and because it stuck out so much further than the wheel base, it would hold any hill I put it on. There were some hills that I had to mow with a 21 push and would still slip every now and then with the push. I doubt that to many people looking at the 74 will be mowing many hills though. Mine were along the side of a big highway.

I bought mine in 2003 when I bought my mower because I couldn't afford two mowers. I had about 12 properties that averaged about 3-5 acres that about 1/2 ( maybee a little less) had to be bagged. So on the large open areas I would switch the decks so I didn't have to bag 2+ acres that was being paid for. After a while I got pretty good at switching decks, but in the heat of the hot august days it would be a pain the the butt to change 3-4 times. I could do it in about 5 min, but it took a lot out of me, it was pretty heavy. Begining of 2004 bouth the ferris to replace the 74" and sold it.

Don't know the blade tip speed, but I mowed some thick stuff with it and never realy had a problem.

Good luck

Bergeros
03-05-2006, 10:02 PM
What about the Diesel... any fans of those? I have one and have had great success with any of the implements and decks I have put on it. I ran a 62 I borrowed from a friend and loved it. My friend uses it to cut fields in August... it's a power house. I also use the power broom, aerator, and run the 48 inch GHS. What a great machine.

Brian..what is your secret for hills. I can back up anything without issue, but sometimes going up hills forward it just starts to spin... any help would be great. :usflag:

gene gls
03-05-2006, 10:44 PM
What about the Diesel... any fans of those? I have one and have had great success with any of the implements and decks I have put on it. I ran a 62 I borrowed from a friend and loved it. My friend uses it to cut fields in August... it's a power house. I also use the power broom, aerator, and run the 48 inch GHS. What a great machine.

Brian..what is your secret for hills. I can back up anything without issue, but sometimes going up hills forward it just starts to spin... any help would be great. :usflag:

Hi Scott,
There is no secret, if it spins going forward just go backwards. You getting ready???

Brianslawn
03-05-2006, 10:59 PM

i got low profile turf tires on my 18, stock on 13. the 13 will climb hills the best. forward up is hard and cant always be done. heavier operaters are usually more successful. as for sideways across the hills... learn to use the handles on deck. for sideways on 45* slopes... you got to be acrobatic. i'll probably just have to post a pic this spring.

higgyandson
03-05-2006, 11:16 PM
Hey Brianslawn - We mow in an area of the country where everyone wants it bagged. We are set up with a dumptruck with a blower/vac to load clippings/leaves will the smaller engines handle hills with someone 250 lbs. plus have the GHS ??

DixieFerris
03-05-2006, 11:18 PM
If anything Walkers will make you slower, poor ground speed, small motors, poorly designed hand controls, and the bagging attachments don't help at all. They do a nice job if you have the time, most of us don't

slowpoe
03-05-2006, 11:27 PM
I bought a 26hp FI in Oct. of 98,one of the first ones out.I have had good luck with it other than a few safty switches & bad wire connections,key switches etc.Probably because it is left out in the weather 24/7.It has 3000hr. on it.Im a owner operater & do all the maint. my self which I think helps out a lot.I change oil & filter every 50-100hrs. & the inner & outter air filters a few times a yr.We will see how many hrs I can get out of it.Right now the fuel pump quits sometimes,but I think its another bad connection at the pump.I think it needs new rings to as with the 62" I use will slow it down in the tall stuff.

As for hills I can back up some steep ones as long as I push back on the seat & down on the mower deck to keep the rear wheels down.

I mow most of them side ways as long as there is no grass in the hooper.Its all in the lean with your body weight hanging way over to the high side:dancing: & you have to use the controls like traction controll devices.If one of the tires break loose the rear end will get to far down the hill & its all over with.If you keep the weight distributed right & keep the tires going at the right speed(tire toward bottom going faster than the one toward the top)you would be amazed at the hills you can mow.I do not have the nobbys & if you do break loose on wet grass or slick dry grass, it can end up a scary ride to the bottom & I have almost rolled it so be careful:nono: .This summer I will take some pics of one of the hills I mow that always amazes me & the costomer when I do it all with the Walker & not the walk behind,which do have to use on certian days.:walking:

Brianslawn
03-06-2006, 01:35 AM
Hey Brianslawn - We mow in an area of the country where everyone wants it bagged. We are set up with a dumptruck with a blower/vac to load clippings/leaves will the smaller engines handle hills with someone 250 lbs. plus have the GHS ??

go with the 18. ive had a couple former employees who considered the 18 their favorite. both were around 250 and were only people who could mow hills as good as me. the one taught me how to even. sit on the fender, hold the top of the seat with right hand, left on controls, left foot on deck about where you normally would position it, and right leg across seat. of course, youre laying on your back hanging of mower. be ready to shift and spin if it breaks loose! 20 and above have the dash on the side and you cant do this. the 13 is real good, too, but under powered a bit for thick bermuda. dump grass when half full on hills until you get used to the extra weight. better yet, just mulch it or have one mower for open cut and hills with no hopper and 54" deck

John Gamba
03-06-2006, 06:18 AM
Precision Work had a 74 at Schmidts field day in Aug 04. Seemed like a big

deck for 5 mph Ed

This is what i was thinking:waving:

crzymow
03-06-2006, 06:13 PM
thanks for all the info everyone.