PDA

View Full Version : Sthil BR 600 Back Pack Blowers

CuttinUP
03-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Has any one bought one of the new BR 600 Sthil BP blowers yet? The numbers are very impressive. I have the BR 420 and it has been awesome. Looking at getting a second BP blower and want one that has a little more force. I have heard allot of good things about the Redmax 7001 also, but it is allot older technology and the dealer told me to stay away from any of the new Strato Charged engines.

mowerman90
03-05-2006, 01:14 PM
"Looking at getting a second BP blower and want one that has a little more force."

Then don't get the BR600........because it doesn't have a little more force.....it has A LOT more force. You can read threads all day long on this forum about Redmax being more powerful, Shindawia is better, etc. etc. but the BR600 is lighter/more comfortable and gives more blow for the dough IMHO!

John Gamba
03-05-2006, 01:35 PM
"Looking at getting a second BP blower and want one that has a little more force."

Then don't get the BR600........because it doesn't have a little more force.....it has A LOT more force. You can read threads all day long on this forum about Redmax being more powerful, Shindawia is better, etc. etc. but the BR600 is lighter/more comfortable and gives more blow for the dough IMHO!

i'll secound this:clapping:

mdb landscaping
03-05-2006, 02:13 PM
we are slowly replacing all our br420s as they blow up. we currently have 4 br600's and they are unbeleivable. much better than the 420's. hopefully they last a little longer.

John Gamba
03-05-2006, 02:34 PM
we are slowly replacing all our br420s as they blow up. we currently have 4 br600's and they are unbeleivable. much better than the 420's. hopefully they last a little longer.

Hay Matt:waving:

lazer 46
03-05-2006, 02:51 PM
You can tell spring is around the corner. We are reviving the BR 600 discussion. OK, I love mine and I also have the Red Max 8000. I will use the 600 more than the 8000.

Lawnworks
03-05-2006, 03:19 PM
I am a huge fan of the br600s... well until last month. 2 of 3 my units are having new shortblocks ordered as we speak. A bearing went out in one, and the other dropped a valve. The third blower has a broken handle. These things were not designed to hang on a trimmer trap evidently. There is also a crack in the handle on one of the blown blowers also. So it is not concidence. We run stihl brand 2-cycle to manufactures spec and most of the time a little rich just to be sure. These blowers are all a few months old and were purchased after Stihl had all the recalls. They are all under warranty, but it makes me wonder how long they will last after the warranty. Unfortunately, I will be purchasing echo blowers from now on. They are heavier, bulkier, and not as comfortable... but they don't "blow" up. This is really disappointing to me, because I love Stihl and love the blowers. I just don't want them to blow-up after warranty.

bearcatlawn
03-05-2006, 03:21 PM
What is the price difference between the two? We have 3 of the 420's and they do ok. I couldn't see forking over the money for the 8000's.

Ky.Smoke
03-05-2006, 03:56 PM
I am with Bearcat. I have 2 BR420 and they a great. I dont know if the money would be worth it if it was alot. What is the difference, I tried to search online but couldn't find it.

Sir mowsalot
03-05-2006, 03:58 PM
What is the price difference between the two? We have 3 of the 420's and they do ok. I couldn't see forking over the money for the 8000's.
I used to think that too, but once i bought mine i cant beleive the power they have.

Ky.Smoke
03-05-2006, 04:07 PM
I did find it online at www.etpetersen.com
BR420 - $399
BR550 - $399
BR600 - $469

While were at it is it worth $100 more for the FS110 Trimmer over the FS80 Trimmer?

Richard Martin
03-05-2006, 04:39 PM

And I'll third this.

The BR600 has been a great blower for me with the exception of the gas cap. I just don't care for it, never will.

ed2hess
03-05-2006, 05:12 PM
There are two things on the 600 that are bad, the gas cap and you can't take off sections of the snout. In close places we sometimes remove the end pieces. That wire discharge device will probably be busted in the first year.I do like the momentary off switch ....that is a winner. We got the 420.

CuttinUP
03-05-2006, 11:23 PM
The third blower has a broken handle. These things were not designed to hang on a trimmer trap evidently. There is also a crack in the handle on one of the blown blowers also.

Are you hanging them from the handle? I have the Gear Caddy System and had to buy an attatchment peice that bolted to the blower to hang it from.

Oldtimer
03-06-2006, 12:20 AM
We run stihl brand 2-cycle to manufactures spec and most of the time a little rich just to be sure

Do not run extra oil.

Do you put a couple of extra quarts in your truck just to be sure?

Oldtimer

lawnman_scott
03-06-2006, 07:00 AM
What is the price difference between the two? We have 3 of the 420's and they do ok. I couldn't see forking over the money for the 8000's.You have to see the performance difference too. I have the 420's too, and until the day I bought the 600's they were pretty darn good also. That day they turned into peices of crap.

Lawnworks
03-06-2006, 08:02 AM
We run stihl brand 2-cycle to manufactures spec and most of the time a little rich just to be sure

Do not run extra oil.

Do you put a couple of extra quarts in your truck just to be sure?

Oldtimer

No I do not put extra oil in my truck! I believe my truck is not a 2-stroke. Did the extra oil cause the internal damage??? I don't think so. Will it gum up the carborator... maybe. I will take my chances and run it slightly rich than lean.

bigjeeping
03-06-2006, 09:05 AM
I need 2 new blowers... I was looking at the 550 at the dealer, but I didn't see any 600's there.

Is there a big difference between the 550 and 600? I am thinking about 2 550's at the moment unless I can be convinced otherwise!

H2OandNcutter
03-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Hey Guys,

After much thought I purchased a BR 600. When delivered it was not assembled properly, admittedly a dealer problem. The tubing continues to fall apart seemingly from a defective clamp. The blower has only been used by me, as I'm a solo, and has had perhaps two to three tanks of fuel run thru it so far.

I will say I like the ease of starting, the quietness, and the smoothness/minimal vibration which my back really appreciates.

In my opinion the blower's abilities are underwhelming. Maybe my expectations were too high but frankly I'm not very impressed with the way it blows! I've only used handhelds and older Echo backpacks in the past.

And, it doesn't run very well. I've had a many instances of it cutting out at full throttle as well as stumbling badly when coming off idle. When I e-mailed Stihl they said there is a weighted fuel pickup/filter update to address this problem. Nice of them to deliver the blower with a known problem that went unrepaired!

When you purchase a premium product, at a premium price, from a premium manufacturer one expects to be both pleased and satisfied! So later this week it will be back at the dealer for their chance to make things right. I'll be taking my Stihl chain saw and Stihl hedge trimmer for repair as well. Both leak fuel. Both have received very light usage, would pass for brand new, are used exclusively by me, and are less than a year old.

Thanks,

RS

HenryB
03-06-2006, 05:42 PM
The 600 was a lot weaker than the Redmax 8000. I'm just being honest. With out the narrow tube on the end it felt like the 420.

CuttinUP
03-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Hey Guys,

After much thought I purchased a BR 600. When delivered it was not assembled properly, admittedly a dealer problem. The tubing continues to fall apart seemingly from a defective clamp. The blower has only been used by me, as I'm a solo, and has had perhaps two to three tanks of fuel run thru it so far.

I will say I like the ease of starting, the quietness, and the smoothness/minimal vibration which my back really appreciates.

In my opinion the blower's abilities are underwhelming. Maybe my expectations were too high but frankly I'm not very impressed with the way it blows! I've only used handhelds and older Echo backpacks in the past.

And, it doesn't run very well. I've had a many instances of it cutting out at full throttle as well as stumbling badly when coming off idle. When I e-mailed Stihl they said there is a weighted fuel pickup/filter update to address this problem. Nice of them to deliver the blower with a known problem that went unrepaired!

When you purchase a premium product, at a premium price, from a premium manufacturer one expects to be both pleased and satisfied! So later this week it will be back at the dealer for their chance to make things right. I'll be taking my Stihl chain saw and Stihl hedge trimmer for repair as well. Both leak fuel. Both have received very light usage, would pass for brand new, are used exclusively by me, and are less than a year old.

Thanks,

RS

Sounds like you need to find another dealer. They assemble them at the dealer and set the carb adjustments. Don't blame the manufacture for the dealers lack of mechanical ability.

CuttinUP
03-06-2006, 06:36 PM
The 600 was a lot weaker than the Redmax 8000. I'm just being honest. With out the narrow tube on the end it felt like the 420.

My dealer sells both Redmax and Sthil. The owner of the store has told me that the Redmax products that have the Stratto Charged engines on them are junk, But he said that the Redmax 7001 has the old style engine and that it is his favorite bp blower, but he said that the Sthil BR 600 seems to be a little better but they haven't been out long enough to say one way or the other. But they get in more of the Stratto Charged Redmax products in for warranty work then the non Stratto charged engine products. Thats just what I have been told.

lasher66
03-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Does anyone know if the Stihl 600 are as strong as the echo pb650. I have all echo equipment and I am going to be switching dealers and they sell Stihl, so I was wondering if the 600 is comparable to the echo 650?

Jason

John Gamba
03-06-2006, 06:45 PM
, so I was wondering if the 600 is comparable to the echo 650?

Jason

Yes:weightlifter:

lawnboy dan
03-07-2006, 06:29 PM
sthil quality isnt what it once was

John Gamba
03-07-2006, 06:32 PM

It is for my 600 and everything else thats sthil

greenscapes,inc.
03-07-2006, 07:05 PM
I have about 6 stihl backpack blowers sitting in my shop. They havent been touched for 3 seasons since I switched to shindaiwa. After switching I will never buy another stihl product.

John Gamba
03-07-2006, 08:01 PM
I have about 6 stihl backpack blowers sitting in my shop. They havent been touched for 3 seasons since I switched to shindaiwa. After switching I will never buy another stihl product.

What works best is best:weightlifter:

Oldtimer
03-07-2006, 09:50 PM
lawnboy dan
LawnSite Senior Member Join Date: Oct 2005

Lawnboy dan,

Please cite some examples and document them.

Oldtimer

Lawnworks
03-08-2006, 06:17 AM
So am I the only one that has had trouble w/ a br600?

John Gamba
03-08-2006, 06:34 AM
So am I the only one that has had trouble w/ a br600?

I'll post a pic later today on it blowing threw two feet of snow:weightlifter:

YardPro
03-08-2006, 07:18 AM
we bought the br600 last year and are very impressed with it.

ProMo
03-08-2006, 07:38 AM
I was talking to a freind yesterday and he said his dealer is getting a lot of the br600's back with blown motors

John Gamba
03-08-2006, 07:49 AM
I was talking to a freind yesterday and he said his dealer is getting a lot of the br600's back with blown motors

My dealer didnt say anything yesterday about sthil at all. I will ask him about this today. I like my 600 but i dont put the hours on them like i use to.

Dixie Bluegrass
03-13-2006, 08:56 AM
I have had my old Br400 for 6 years and it ran very good up until the end. Just bought a Br600 and my brother just got one too. Lot more power and I like the compact size too.I will say though that I didn't think this blower was very powerful until it got broken in. After that the power was awsome. I took the nose cone off mine and it has even more power. I don't think that you can go wrong with this blower.

CuttinUP
03-14-2006, 01:55 PM
I'll post a pic later today on it blowing threw two feet of snow:weightlifter:
Hey John, How about that pic. I would like to see that. Thanks

John Gamba
03-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Hey John, How about that pic. I would like to see that. Thanks

This pic doesn't do it justice:cry: This was the two footer we got. The truck had three feet on it and the ground was drifted.

CuttinUP
03-14-2006, 02:11 PM
So did it blow the snow off beside your truck there. I can see the car across the street. Thats pretty wild. I will be purchasing one of these BR600 probably next month. My BR 420 works great but I am sure the 600 will save some time.:clapping:

John Gamba
03-14-2006, 02:24 PM
So did it blow the snow off beside your truck there. I can see the car across the street. Thats pretty wild. I will be purchasing one of these BR600 probably next month. My BR 420 works great but I am sure the 600 will save some time.:clapping:

I blow a trench with it next to the truck then i blew off the truck. I am impressed with the blower. Oh it starts great in the cold too.

ALBsun1
03-14-2006, 04:52 PM
I haven't had any problems with my BR600. I got it in November, so far so good, hopefully it stays that way. The only two things i don't like are the fuel filter problem, as it will cut off sometimes when still half full. Also, it starts on the first or second pull always, but sometimes the pull start is jerky, meaning it doesn't pull smoothly, and sometimes will knock the unit over when i try to start it. i don't like that. But, aside from that, it's power more than makes up for those small shortcomings. I don't plan on using that for cleaning of sidewalks after mows, as it is overkill i think, i would rather use my lighter kawasaki and save the 600 for leaves.

John Gamba
03-14-2006, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=ALBsun1]. The only two things i don't like are the fuel filter problem, as it will cut off sometimes when still half full. QUOTE]

Have your dealer put the longer fuel line in:cool2:

Dixie Bluegrass
04-02-2006, 08:30 PM
I had the same problem with my Br600. I asked a Stihl rep about it and he said to point the fuel filter in the opposite direction. For example, if you are facing the back of the blower with the Br600 emblem facing you the filter is pointing towards the west side of the blower. Try turning it towards the east side. It did a world of difference on mine.

kmann
04-03-2006, 03:33 AM
I did find it online at www.etpetersen.com
BR420 - $399
BR550 - $399
BR600 - $469

While were at it is it worth $100 more for the FS110 Trimmer over the FS80 Trimmer?
Yes it is, the 110 is a great trimmer.

nice-n'-strait
04-05-2006, 09:42 PM
ok i have the 550 but i tell you what. it works like a charm and the 600 is even that much better. you cant go wrong

bwilder10h
04-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Agreed. I just got the 550 and it's amazing how most of the grass can be blown off the driveway at or just above idle. Not to mention it sounds like a turbine is on my back when you crank it up ... ;)

Lawnworks
04-08-2006, 12:28 AM
Good luck guys... they are going to blow-up! I have had my third major engine problem and this one was supposed to be w/ upgraded parts. It is covered under warranty... I guess that is good. Do yourself a favor and go ahead and tell your dealer to order you a shortblock so you don't have to wait a week on it to come in.

HenryB
04-08-2006, 09:24 AM
I don't think these are really tested under long hard commercial use.

John Gamba
04-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Good luck guys... they are going to blow-up! I have had my third major engine problem and this one was supposed to be w/ upgraded parts. It is covered under warranty... I guess that is good. Do yourself a favor and go ahead and tell your dealer to order you a shortblock so you don't have to wait a week on it to come in.

I just talked to my dealer he said they have only had good news about the 600.

My 600 is doing great.

anj
04-08-2006, 10:09 AM
I Have The 550 And It Has Been In The Shop Once And Will Probably Go Back Again. It Seem To Lose Its Power After Long Use. Its Not Even A Year Old Yet.

Oldtimer
04-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Check the valve adjustment on the 550.

Lawnworks
04-09-2006, 07:35 PM
We have been using our blowers all winter because we are in the deep south. So I would be willing to bet some of you northern guys will see problems in a couple of months.

My dealer said Stihl is aware of the problem and is doing everything they can to address it.

John Gamba
04-09-2006, 07:56 PM
We have been using our blowers all winter because we are in the deep south. So I would be willing to bet some of you northern guys will see problems in a couple of months.

My dealer said Stihl is aware of the problem and is doing everything they can to address it.

Lawn

what did yours do??

Lawnworks
04-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Two of the instances, the they dropped a valve. The other was a bearing failure. Also 2 of 3 backs have cracked or broken off completely due to lack of support.

Sawmac
04-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Have have a br 600's, Great investment! Easy to start very comfortable and has a hella of alot of kick. My only suggestion is try not to run em to rich the tend to dirty the spark arrestors and bog down a bit

rob7233
04-09-2006, 11:06 PM

I agree with Greenscapes. Yep, stihl is stihl "junk" (shi**y). Lots of recalls on their line> ignition coils and such!! They will just let their warranty program take care of it while YOU lose Time & Money !! Echo quality has gone down also. They always seem to develop carb/fuel problems after 2-3 years use. I heard some of the same things about the REDMAX strato-charged engines but can't say what that's about. Just heard shop mechanics say they're harder to work on. IMO the Shindaiwa EB 630 backpack blower has a great balance of power, reliability, weight, features. The new ones now have a right hand throttle option like the Stihls instead of the left hand "stalk".

Richard Martin
04-10-2006, 01:31 AM
I agree with Greenscapes. Yep, stihl is stihl "junk" (shi**y). Lots of recalls on their line> ignition coils and such!! They will just let their warranty program take care of it while YOU lose Time & Money !!

I've been running one Stihl or another since 1997 and I can say that I've never had any problems with anything other than a carb here and there. I don't care for the new style gas caps and I did have to put a heavy fuel filter in my BR600 but other than that they've been fine. I've never had anything recalled.

Richard Martin
04-10-2006, 01:32 AM
Also 2 of 3 backs have cracked or broken off completely due to lack of support.

What kind of blower rack are you using?

6'7 330
04-10-2006, 02:16 AM

I have used Stihl exclusively for trimmers and stick edgers, hedge trimmers for years and years, no quality problems.

As far as Stihl backpacks go,the old BR 400 could take a licking, keep on ticking.In terms of longevity, they would last and last.When other companies such as Redmax and Echo introduced more powerful blower's, we dropped Stihl's backpack blowers.If Stihl's backpacks could rival Redmax in terms of power, we would consider coming back to stihl for backpacks.

Those among you who purchased the 600, how did it do on heavy fall leaves?

John Gamba
04-10-2006, 06:26 AM
Those among you who purchased the 600, how did it do on heavy fall leaves?

Very well especially getting the leaves out of the bushes around the house.

Lawnworks
04-10-2006, 06:26 AM
Trimmertrap racks

John Gamba
04-10-2006, 06:27 AM
Two of the instances, the they dropped a valve. The other was a bearing failure. Also 2 of 3 backs have cracked or broken off completely due to lack of support.

Thanks lawn!!:waving:

Richard Martin
04-10-2006, 07:06 AM
Trimmertrap racks

ST-1 or ST-2? If it's the same rack that's used for the BR400/420 that is the wrong rack.

John Gamba
04-10-2006, 07:32 AM
ST-1 or ST-2? If it's the same rack that's used for the BR400/420 that is the wrong rack.

I use the Grid-Iron BP holder for the 600 and 750 echo.

lawnboy dan
04-10-2006, 07:35 PM
i am tru with sthil also-its junk now. nothing but problems . i have replaced more carbs and ing modules than you would believe.

Steppenwolf
04-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Have been happy with the 600 so far. Took a little getting used to the tube,a little stiffer than the 420's. Only ran about 25 tanks of gas thru it so far,it does some serious blowing. Easy starting for sure,like the quick turn off and always on ready to start set up,gas cap works well but I am still getting used to it,just a matter of time.Setting the valves should be a piece of cake, did it on a trimmer motor,Stihl gave me the kit to do it with. Have been using Stihl products since I guess about'90 and like the fact they won't sell cheap imationations to the Big Box stores.

John Gamba
04-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Have been happy with the 600 so far. Took a little getting used to the tube,a little stiffer than the 420's. Only ran about 25 tanks of gas thru it so far,it does some serious blowing. Easy starting for sure,like the quick turn off and always on ready to start set up,gas cap works well but I am still getting used to it,just a matter of time.Setting the valves should be a piece of cake, did it on a trimmer motor,Stihl gave me the kit to do it with. Have been using Stihl products since I guess about'90 and like the fact they won't sell cheap imationations to the Big Box stores.

Well said:clapping:

Lawnworks
04-10-2006, 08:38 PM
i am tru with sthil also-its junk now. nothing but problems . i have replaced more carbs and ing modules than you would believe.

I don't think they are junk at all... I love my 600. I just hope the problem does not reoccur after the warranty expires.