PDA

View Full Version : billbugs/overseed tall fescue

mrkosar
03-05-2006, 01:07 PM
i have read many things about how billbugs are hard to control because once you realize the damage you cannot control it. also, have been told that big eye bug is the predator...but say i just started a customer on an organic program, and they don't have a healthy soil yet. the big eye is not in great enough numbers to control the billbug, and the customer has majority kentucky bluegrass with no endophytes. how can i prevent billbug damage without applying an insectiside?

also, i've been told mixing turf type tall fescue into an established bluegrass looks funny because of the clumping. is it possible to overseed tall fescue into bluegrass?

nocutting
03-05-2006, 05:28 PM
i have read many things about how billbugs are hard to control because once you realize the damage you cannot control it. also, have been told that big eye bug is the predator...but say i just started a customer on an organic program, and they don't have a healthy soil yet. the big eye is not in great enough numbers to control the billbug, and the customer has majority kentucky bluegrass with no endophytes. how can i prevent billbug damage without applying an insectiside?

also, i've been told mixing turf type tall fescue into an established bluegrass looks funny because of the clumping. is it possible to overseed tall fescue into bluegrass?
Look at it this way, work on the soil, [ the bugs are only makeing your job easier as they get rid of high maintance turf anyway]......grass, while a perennial doesnt live forever.....start useing a slit seeder, use endophytic dwarf type tall fescues and ryes.....do this for three seasons, by the time the DTTF mature, most of that blue should be between 15-25% [ try working with a local seedsman, not the homedepot].........Sounds like you've been told alot?.......Think You needs some actual experance, so give the most obvious a try [ seeding], it will take you sometime to get "Benifical Releases" down to a science.......Good Luck and keep tryin:usflag: