PDA

View Full Version : proslide

fire1man
03-05-2006, 04:33 PM
can anyone tell the difference between the proslide and the proslide xt also where can you parts for besides novae thanks

jtkplc
03-05-2006, 04:50 PM
The XT has a thicker skid plate. Call Novae and they will tell you dealers in your area that carry their products and they can order parts for you.

sildoc
03-05-2006, 04:52 PM
The problem you are going to have here is that most have the regular old proslide. They are great in aspect but loose the spring back over time. I believe that the xt has tried to fix this problem. I can tell you that those of us that use the proslide won't go back to the ole wheel routine. However regardless of what you buy there are draw backs. One of the proslides are wear on a plate and the replacement of the shocks that draw the slide up. These are needed around every season pending the amount of lawns you use it on.
As for the parts all of the dealers should be able to get you the parts.

fire1man
03-05-2006, 05:09 PM
okay thanks just got a regular proslide off ebay with a new wear plate but sometimes i have to help it retract so i figured the gas shock probably needs replacing.i installed it today and rode around on it and i really liked it and will probably buy another.i currently have been using a single wheel velke and a dual wheel velke

Palmer'sLS
03-05-2006, 05:28 PM
hey fire1man, i too live in the old dominion....i have a proslide that is in wonderful shape, i am looking to et rid of it...

TJLC
03-06-2006, 08:51 AM
okay thanks just got a regular proslide off ebay with a new wear plate but sometimes i have to help it retract so i figured the gas shock probably needs replacing.i installed it today and rode around on it and i really liked it and will probably buy another.i currently have been using a single wheel velke and a dual wheel velke

I have three Proslides and LOVE them. I also would never go back to a wheeled sulky or velkie. When my shocks wore out, instead of replacing them, I just used a bungie cord to help it retract. Probally sounds cheesy, but it works fine. Mine are the old style slides. Hope this helps a little.

naturescape
03-06-2006, 10:08 AM
There's quite a difference between old and new, the new 'slides have all different part to keep up with the increased weight of the thicker wearplate. I have an old and new one. It took a long time for my new one to wear in, the gas shocks on it are so much stronger! But I love it now. If you make your own wearplates tho, as I do, it is a bit easier to bend the thinner ones.......

MIKE'S LAWN MAINTENANCE
03-06-2006, 10:22 AM
There's quite a difference between old and new, the new 'slides have all different part to keep up with the increased weight of the thicker wearplate. I have an old and new one. It took a long time for my new one to wear in, the gas shocks on it are so much stronger! But I love it now. If you make your own wearplates tho, as I do, it is a bit easier to bend the thinner ones.......

naturescape I am just in Farmington Hills and i was wondering if you could tell me where to buy a new Proslide. Thanks Mike

naturescape
03-06-2006, 07:16 PM
naturescape I am just in Farmington Hills and i was wondering if you could tell me where to buy a new Proslide. Thanks Mike

I think you can get em pretty much anywhere, but you'll have to order it. Let me know if you have any problems getting one. You might try ebay. I recommend the proslide XT.

I have not seen ONE other company, besides mine, in metro Detroit using one yet!

jtkplc
03-06-2006, 07:52 PM
I think you can get em pretty much anywhere, but you'll have to order it. Let me know if you have any problems getting one. You might try ebay. I recommend the proslide XT.

I have not seen ONE other company, besides mine, in metro Detroit using one yet!

I've only seen one around in Jackson. I just don't think many know about it.

zim bob the landscaper
03-06-2006, 08:46 PM
do they ever rip up grass on the turn ? i was thinking about getting one but that was a question i had about them

naturescape
03-06-2006, 08:55 PM
do they ever rip up grass on the turn ? i was thinking about getting one but that was a question i had about them

Nope. You can hit something like a pipe or raised cement tho, be careful.

MIKE'S LAWN MAINTENANCE
03-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Thanks naturescape i will check them out.

Roger
03-06-2006, 10:07 PM
I bought one, but it would not work on a 35" Exmark hydro Viking. The mower is too light, too narrow of footprint. I posted my experiences 3-4 years ago, so you do a search to read the threads. Those considering a ProSlide, think twice if you are intending to use it on a small machine. I have never seen another LCO in this area with a ProSlide mounted on his w/b.

naturescape
03-06-2006, 10:16 PM
I bought one, but it would not work on a 35" Exmark hydro Viking. The mower is too light, too narrow of footprint. I posted my experiences 3-4 years ago, so you do a search to read the threads. Those considering a ProSlide, think twice if you are intending to use it on a small machine. I have never seen another LCO in this area with a ProSlide mounted on his w/b.

I first used a Proslide, 9 yrs ago, on an Exmark belt drive 36". NO PROBLEMS with it for me. And no problems on 5 or so machines since then.

They (the slides) DO require some regular maintenance tho.

Roger
03-06-2006, 10:29 PM
naturescape ... You are not alone -- I've seen a few other posts saying this. I had one yard that was flat and the ProSlide worked well there, but only one of 45 wasn't going to work for me. The ProSlide simply "drove" the machine. I was unable to make straight lines, unable to make slight adjustments in direction. On small slopes upward, the front was off the ground and I had to struggle with upward force on the grips to keep the mower at the right height. In short, the added energy to control the machine far outweighed the savings of riding.

I am not large -- 5'9", about 165#, so too much weight wasn't the issue. I bought a RullRider, double wheeled sulky afterwards. My intention was to run it in castered mode. However, that did not work very well either -- sulky gained too much control over the mower. Handling was better than the ProSlide, but unworkable. I converted the BR to trailer mode, and it works very well. I've logged hundreds of miles! No, not quite what I would have liked, but the BR made the mower much more productive, working jobs that I would never have walked.

naturescape
03-07-2006, 12:03 AM
naturescape ... You are not alone -- I've seen a few other posts saying this. I had one yard that was flat and the ProSlide worked well there, but only one of 45 wasn't going to work for me. The ProSlide simply "drove" the machine. I was unable to make straight lines, unable to make slight adjustments in direction. On small slopes upward, the front was off the ground and I had to struggle with upward force on the grips to keep the mower at the right height. In short, the added energy to control the machine far outweighed the savings of riding.

I am not large -- 5'9", about 165#, so too much weight wasn't the issue. I bought a RullRider, double wheeled sulky afterwards. My intention was to run it in castered mode. However, that did not work very well either -- sulky gained too much control over the mower. Handling was better than the ProSlide, but unworkable. I converted the BR to trailer mode, and it works very well. I've logged hundreds of miles! No, not quite what I would have liked, but the BR made the mower much more productive, working jobs that I would never have walked.

Most of my lawns are pretty flat. Too bad it didn't work for you, it rides so smooth.

sildoc
03-07-2006, 12:24 AM
Yes as those of you that have small machines that use the proslide allready know that you need 40 or so lbs of weight on the front of the machine. If you add at min of 20-25 you will notice that the front will not even bounce when you step on.
I guess there is a learning curve to every thing so to make a straight line wether you use a trailerable sulky/velke or proslide you need to practice and have a steady hand.