PDA

View Full Version : Gas Cans

ztrguy
03-05-2006, 04:47 PM
What size gas cans do you carry on the trailer?

I have four 5 gallon gas cans for the ZTR mowers and two 2.5 gallon gas cans for the oil/gas mix. I'm thinking about using 5 gallon gas cans for the handheld equipment this year. I'm tired of having to mix gas/oil every day. Anyone else using 5 gallon cans for handheld equipment?

Turfdude
03-05-2006, 04:53 PM
We do it the same way... straight gas 5 gal, mixed 2.5 gal. less chance for the BDI (brain dead idiot) employees to f-stuff up that way. WE do also carry mixed oil & the crew chiefs are responsible for any field mixing 2.5 gal/bottle for redmax 50:1.

BTW, anyone know where to locate 2.5 gal cans anymore?? most have now gone to 2 gals.

ztrguy
03-05-2006, 04:56 PM
BTW, anyone know where to locate 2.5 gal cans anymore?? most have now gone to 2 gals.

That's another reason I want to go with 5 gallon gas cans for the handheld equipment. It's hard to find a 2.5 gallon can anymore.

grass-scapes
03-05-2006, 05:43 PM
I have trouble finding cans that are NOT ventless. I hate those newer ones...Splashing gas everywhere.

Northern Tool and Equipment has 2.5 gal cans, AND the kind with the vent. Ive got 6 5 gallon but Im going to get some more incase they quit making the vented kind all together.

Green-Pro
03-05-2006, 05:54 PM
I have trouble finding cans that are NOT ventless. I hate those newer ones...Splashing gas everywhere.

Northern Tool and Equipment has 2.5 gal cans, AND the kind with the vent. Ive got 6 5 gallon but Im going to get some more incase they quit making the vented kind all together.

Lowes has vented 5 gallon cans, I just picked up one for diesel last week. I think it was around $6.
I use 2.5 gallon cans for handheld, I would think the 5 gallon for handheld would just spill all over the place when full.

Bunton Guy
03-05-2006, 07:34 PM
All of our gas mowers & diesel trucks are filled up at the shop before they leave. The ONLY gas cans we have on the trucks are 2-cycle....that way no mistakes can be made:hammerhead:

Saves time also..no gas station trips ever! diesel & gas delivered & put into our tanks bi-weekly.:weightlifter:

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
03-05-2006, 08:00 PM
If You Want To Switch To 5gal Cans But Are Affraid That Someone May Mistake The Straight Gas With The Mixed Gas. I Believe Home Depot And Lowes Sell Blue Water Cans That Look Just Like The Red Gas Cans. Unless They Are Color Blind. There Will Be No Mistaking The Different Gases.

Green-Pro
03-05-2006, 08:05 PM
If You Want To Switch To 5gal Cans But Are Affraid That Someone May Mistake The Straight Gas With The Mixed Gas. I Believe Home Depot And Lowes Sell Blue Water Cans That Look Just Like The Red Gas Cans. Unless They Are Color Blind. There Will Be No Mistaking The Different Gases.

I may be wrong but I thought blue cans referenced kerosene.

lawnmaniac883
03-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Has anyone used the "new and improved" self venting cans from home depot? What a POS those are. I just bought a 5 gal and it is the biggest chunk of sh!t I have ever had to use. Thinking about putting on a vent in the handle and drilling out the stuff in the filler neck. Anyone done this?

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
03-05-2006, 08:23 PM
I use 5 gal for both. They can't mess it up. Well I guess they could. On the can itself it says the word "MIX" on all sides of it. We have not had a problem yet, and it sure helps in cutting down on trips to the gas station for mix gas.

RB Lawn
03-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Has anyone used the "new and improved" self venting cans from home depot? What a POS those are. I just bought a 5 gal and it is the biggest chunk of sh!t I have ever had to use. Thinking about putting on a vent in the handle and drilling out the stuff in the filler neck. Anyone done this?

Yeah, the new self venting cans suck big time!:mad: I purchased a few a week back, took them home and messed with them, took them back to the store the next day.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Ok I know this is off topic, But I want to know how you are using 2.5 gallons of mix everyday? I know Im solo but a gallon last me almost a week. Im just curious

wayne

cantoo
03-05-2006, 09:39 PM
My wife uses 2 gal jugs and fills the mowers up at gas stations. 5 gal jugs are too heavy for her. We spray paint the mixed jugs blue so no mistakes made. I wouldn't use the kerosene jugs for mixed just spray bomb the red ones blue.

On a side note I wonder what size of jugs sheshovel has?
Anyone know? :canadaflag:

samk
03-05-2006, 09:50 PM
How about the big 14 gallon portables anyone using these? Just bought enclosed trailer thought it would be easier then lugging 3 or 4 five gallon cas around

ALarsh
03-05-2006, 10:22 PM
I will be using a 15 gallon blitz "fuel station" mounted to the trailer this season along with 5 gallon mixed.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay3?storeId=6970&productId=200317034&R=200317034

samk
03-05-2006, 10:38 PM
[QUOTE=ALarsh]I will be using a 15 gallon blitz "fuel station" mounted to the trailer this season along with 5 gallon mixed.

that looks nice the one i thinking of getting is plastic and on whells its 14 gallons and 99 bucs

steve45
03-05-2006, 11:16 PM
How 'bout these: http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=18589

Not for use in California. Note: you have to buy at least one hose assembly for these. The square ones are easier to stack side-by-side.

YardPro
03-05-2006, 11:21 PM
Ok I know this is off topic, But I want to know how you are using 2.5 gallons of mix everyday? I know Im solo but a gallon last me almost a week. Im just curious

wayne

we go through almost 10 gallons of mix per week.

Richard Martin
03-06-2006, 04:31 AM
What size gas cans do you carry on the trailer?

I have four 5 gallon gas cans for the ZTR mowers and two 2.5 gallon gas cans for the oil/gas mix. I'm thinking about using 5 gallon gas cans for the handheld equipment this year. I'm tired of having to mix gas/oil every day. Anyone else using 5 gallon cans for handheld equipment?

I mix 2 stroke in a 5 gallon can and then pour it into a 1 gallon can. I don't spill any that way and the occasional helper I get can't screw it up.

cborden
03-06-2006, 08:27 AM
I've been considering going with a 100 gallon tank in the bed of the truck. I've been carrying 6 five gallon cans in the trailer and two 5 gallon cans for pre-mix. I saw a enclosed mowing trailer burn last summer and it was easy to tell when the fuel cans ruptured, this will not stop all fire concerns, but it will free up some much needed space in the trailer. This truck is only used for mowing, anyone else ever consider going with a bed tank?

Signature Landscaping1
03-06-2006, 08:42 AM
blue does mean kerosene, I was thinking about getting one of those gas caddys anyone have any thoughts on them?

SPLC
03-06-2006, 09:06 AM
If you buy a larger tank like the 14 gal one (great idea IMO) make sure it is metal. Octane is actually lost in plastic gas cans over a period of time. With metal cans it cannot be lost, FYI. I have heard this from a few reliable sources. Maybe someone can post the scientific reason for this. That's the reason all NASCAR crews use metal gas cans.

samk
03-06-2006, 09:09 AM
I saw a enclosed mowing trailer burn last summer and it was easy to tell when the fuel cans ruptured, this will not stop all fire concerns, but it will free up some much needed space in the trailer.
this is my concern with going with the 14 gallon portable.

hartmas
03-06-2006, 09:37 AM
I just bought two of the 5 gallon Eagle Type I safety can with the yellow funnel that stays on the can. Has anyone used those?

naturescape
03-06-2006, 10:02 AM

That's TOTALLY illegal! Make sure all gas and gas/oil mixtures are in RED cans!

Sammy
03-06-2006, 01:10 PM
A lot of you need to find out what is and is not legal in your state.:hammerhead: Hate to see any of ya going down the road in a ball of flames !;) Let's all be safe !:usflag:

In most states it is illegal to:

#1- Carry more than 10 gallons of gasoline, in small containers, in the bed of your truck or combined with what is on your OPEN trailer

#2- Carry ANY amount of gasoline in a enclosed trailer.

#3- You can't have a metal bed tank that is larger than 100 gallons.

#4- Carry more than 110 gallons combined. (100 gal. tank & two 5 gal. cans.)

#5- Carry more than 110 gallons combined what is on your truck and on your OPEN trailer.

#6- Put gasoline in a water can or milk jugs.:hammerhead:

steve45
03-06-2006, 06:23 PM
If you buy a larger tank like the 14 gal one (great idea IMO) make sure it is metal. Octane is actually lost in plastic gas cans over a period of time. With metal cans it cannot be lost, FYI. I have heard this from a few reliable sources. Maybe someone can post the scientific reason for this. That's the reason all NASCAR crews use metal gas cans.
My guess is that it has nothing to do with octane. I'm sure that NASCAR crews don't store fuel in containers for very long, certainly not long enough for it to degrade. I'd bet that it's to prevent sparking from static discharge.

sheshovel
03-06-2006, 06:50 PM
My wife uses 2 gal jugs and fills the mowers up at gas stations. 5 gal jugs are too heavy for her. We spray paint the mixed jugs blue so no mistakes made. I wouldn't use the kerosene jugs for mixed just spray bomb the red ones blue.

On a side note I wonder what size of jugs sheshovel has?
Anyone know? :canadaflag:

None of your business!

PGA
03-06-2006, 06:55 PM
If its trouble identifying them just buy the metal tags that you can hook to the spout that read MIXED or STRAIGHT. The tags are also different colors.

But I carry one 5 gallon for the mixed which I fill up about ever other week and one 5 gallon for regular just in case I run out. Which I usually dont because Im anal about keeping the tank at least 1/2 full.

cantoo
03-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Damn she, I've been waiting for you to notice this. You sure don't miss much.

sheshovel
03-06-2006, 11:11 PM
That's cuz I know a special trick to tell when anyone is talking about me
I am psychic

SproulsLawnCare
03-07-2006, 02:06 AM
For all of you who have already bought any of those ventless cans, it helps to drill an 1/8" hole right behind the handle.

SKAT LAWN
03-07-2006, 02:38 AM
yes. we use 5 gal cans for mix and regular, just label.

3 shindy t270
2 shindy 261
1 shidy 630 blower
2 echo 650 blowers:
97 4x4 4 door chvy
16 ft landscape trlr:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Richard Martin
03-07-2006, 05:06 AM
A lot of you need to find out what is and is not legal in your state.:hammerhead: Hate to see any of ya going down the road in a ball of flames !;) Let's all be safe !:usflag:

In most states it is illegal to:

There is also a limit to how much fuel can be carried without a permit. I think, but am not sure, it's around 25 or 50 gallons in Maryland.

cantoo
03-07-2006, 11:17 PM
She,
That's cuz I know a special trick to tell when anyone is talking about me
I am psychic.

You have a typo in your post that spell check didn't get.

"I am psychopath"

ps, did you have to look in a dictionary too? It still don't look right to me.

sheshovel
03-07-2006, 11:43 PM
That's cuz your cross eyed cantoo!

cantoo
03-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Bedtime, gotta be up in a couple of hours. Pouring concrete at 7
I'll have another smartazz comment later.

Sharp Services
03-08-2006, 01:23 AM
If You Want To Switch To 5gal Cans But Are Afraid That Someone May Mistake The Straight Gas With The Mixed Gas. I Believe Home Depot And Lowe's Sell Blue Water Cans That Look Just Like The Red Gas Cans. Unless They Are Color Blind. There Will Be No Mistaking The Different Gases.

I also use the big blue 5 gallon can for the mix and the standard red 5 gal can for the regular gas. No problems so far ... if works for me.

Sharp Services
03-08-2006, 01:31 AM
I also use the big blue 5 gallon can for the mix and the standard red 5 gal can for the regular gas. No problems so far ... if works for me.

I almost forgot ... the blue cans I use are labled for fuel and were purchased for 6.95 at Walmart.