PDA

View Full Version : Burn out. Old dogs what do you do?

sildoc
03-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Alright. It is just beginning the season for full time work and I am already burnt. I am half tempted to sell at the end of this year and take a ok full time job. I am sooooo tired of bustin but 5-6 days a week for 9-10 months and then work a week a month for the other two. Profit is ok around 40-50 a year net but doesn't make up for missing out on camping and fishing with the youngins. How do the big dogs cope???
I know get big enough that the employees do the work but heck that is another 5 years projected. IF I hire now for 1 crew My net will drop to roughly 10000 for the year and I can't live with that.
I guess I am looking on how to have the cake and eat it too.
There is lots of work here but at certain times. spring and fall mid summer weans out and you play catch up with regular customers. fall comes and every one wants leaf clean up now.
Housing market is so crazy that I loose at min 2 customers a month to moving out of my area and gain 3 then toss 2 because of wanting a golf course on a weed field budget.
I guess what i'm asking is how do you make it through the burn out early in the season?

SodKing
03-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Stop concentrating on money. If that is what you are in this business for, then you are in it for the wrong reasons. I enjoy what I do, every day, every challenge. Sure there are other things I could do but would I rather do them? No...I like where I am and where I am going. The good money is just a side effect of doing a good job.

Tonyr
03-05-2006, 06:29 PM
I have that burnt out feeling, so I've decided to move on and try another venture. my broker has my mowing biz listed here, feel free to check it out.
http://www.fcbb.com.au/listings/l0056.html

I am going into the tipper truck industry, ya know, carrying sand, gravel etc, working on development sites etc.... ewasy work, air con cab etc lol.

Restrorob
03-05-2006, 06:37 PM
I have that burnt out feeling,

Don't blame ya there Tony after that Deere Saga, Good luck with ya new venture.

sildoc
03-05-2006, 06:40 PM
Stop concentrating on money. If that is what you are in this business for, then you are in it for the wrong reasons. I enjoy what I do, every day, every challenge. Sure there are other things I could do but would I rather do them? No...I like where I am and where I am going. The good money is just a side effect of doing a good job.
Its not the money. Not at all. It is the time I have to make it in. You know those times it is when you want to play.
I am trying to get the aeration phase going. Hopefully in a couple of years I can work 6 months of the year and play in summer and winter. This year I am getting rid of my far very low profit accounts and tightening it up to a 15 mile radius. Hopefully that will bring me more time with the family. I do like working for myself and saying hey I will take an hour here to go to one of my kids school functions and then work an hour longer. That is great but the fact of taking a summer vacation when the kids have no school is what is extinguishing my flame.

Tonyr
03-05-2006, 06:52 PM
Don't blame ya there Tony after that Deere Saga, Good luck with ya new venture.

Thanks Mate!

We have a couple more months of solid season left yet, last winter was wet and hot, so no break, this summer has been a hot one, yeah, with everything that has happened this year, I've lost interest, constantly tired and worn out.

shame really, the new deere is fantastic, I don't want to sell it lol!

if only I could just mow and not do any of that trimming/edging etc stuff that buggers my tired old arthritic arms lol.

Oh well, what I've learn't in this business will help me in the next, so all is ok.

take care!:drinkup: :waving:

Green-Pro
03-05-2006, 06:59 PM

Very well said. when you thoroughly enjoy what you do to make a living it often will translate into your family life also. Striking the balance between work and family life can be a razor thin line.

CURBAPPEAL NC
03-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Amen brother!

sikagrass
03-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Have you got any friends that could fill in for you while youre gone for a week? What I do is do every single job I can to get caught up before we go and then my buddy (that I can trust) gets my service calls while I am gone and he takes on my helper too. I try to let my customers know as far ahead as possible the dates I will be gone and never got any flak from them. Always worked for me,feels great being a tourist for a change. Id hate going back to a regular job.

mmacsek
03-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Very well said. when you thoroughly enjoy what you do to make a living it often will translate into your family life also. Striking the balance between work and family life can be a razor thin line.
BINGO!!! Some days I do better at family life than others. My wife works with me FT. I think my kids get short changed but they still have it better than I did. Speaking for myself, I have it better being self employed and giving up some of the above discussed things. This is my 6th year full time and I have not been laid off yet and my health ins. is more stable. It was expensive making co payments working for someone else. I take a vacation every year when our children have Christmas break. There is going to be trade offs no matter which route you take. That is a decision you need to make. Unfortunately the world is a different place than the 60's. Good Luck Matt

Bunton Guy
03-05-2006, 08:31 PM
I run a full time operation with employees....I go on vacation when I want to. Spend plenty of time with my family when I want to. I race motocross most weekends out of the year. I spend most Mondays at the Chiropractor after races and re-cooperating (sp?)

What are you doing wrong? thats what I would try to figure out. I work the company I don't let the company work me. Do I make millions...by all means no but im not in the poor house either. My company grows slow...so that I can manage the growth + get time to spend living outside the company.

Toy2
03-05-2006, 08:45 PM
It really is a nice feeling when you have money coming in and it has nothing to do with mowing......can you get a part-time job, and mow on the side? I said at the start of this that I would never work for the "man"....but i did eat my words...the last 4 months of 2005 screwed me big time...drought....now I feel better knowing I mow when I want to, not have too. Good luck!

ECS
03-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Pur child is out on her own. Last year (first year solo) we were in a tight situation) we worked 7 days a week all summer. This year we will be camping and I can enjoy the mountains on my horse and I am very much looking forward to it. I feel you pain as I have been in thaqt situation before. If it is not the money, hire a friend to help you for a week, 10 days or 2 weeks if possible. The slowest time of the year for me is during elk season, so this works out good for me. My wife comes up to camp when she can. My elk camp is only 15 miles from home so this works out well for me. She gets her vacation by having me out of her hair for awhile. :) The other time of no work is the spring, and one of these days I will talk her into going on a small vacation. I hope to take some 3 day weekends this year. These are our vacations together. Leave on Friday by noon and come back on Sunday afternoon/evening like we used to do.

sildoc
03-05-2006, 09:56 PM
I run a full time operation with employees....I go on vacation when I want to. Spend plenty of time with my family when I want to. I race motocross most weekends out of the year. I spend most Mondays at the Chiropractor after races and re-cooperating (sp?)

What are you doing wrong? thats what I would try to figure out. I work the company I don't let the company work me. Do I make millions...by all means no but im not in the poor house either. My company grows slow...so that I can manage the growth + get time to spend living outside the company.
I do run the business. I don't let the business run me. I figure to take on employees It will take at min 2 years to get where I am at now and then another 2 to be ahead of where I am at now. Plus I have 2 x the head aches. I am trying to figure out a happy medium where I still make a decent living but whittle out the crap. I am no means full and but need no more work. I want to whittle the clients down to 3 days of strait work durring the grow season and pick up extras when I want. That is where the problem is. I dont feel like doing it. Thus my burn out allready. Im sure it will get better when I see the major checks rolling in but now after the slow season It is very non motivational.