PDA

View Full Version : Building pillars out of coventry wall?

WildLake
03-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Ep henry says to chisel of a few inches to make the side of the block match the front in order to make 90 degree corners for pillars. This still doesn't look good enough when you do it. Is there a similar block that you can buy 90s for, or am I stuck chiseling. Thanks

UNISCAPER
03-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Country manor. Use the large and the small block turning them 90° and they make perfect 20"x20" columns.

If you don't like a chiseled face then after you lopp the end off use a meat tenderizer for block and beat the crap out of the borken end. It will actually blend as though is was cast like you need it.

WildLake
03-05-2006, 07:21 PM
when you do the 20x20, do you do this or just leave it aloan

UNISCAPER
03-05-2006, 07:26 PM
With Country Mano, all you do is set a large and small, then reverse one right next to what you laid. Then turn the next course 90°. There is nothing more to do unless occasionally you get a factory edge that shows, then use the meat beater on that small spot and your off. Glue every course and if you go over 3' you will need to pour a footing to the depth wher frost won't hurt you. Use a piece of #6 rebar or a post in the center so yo might have to notch cut the inside of the block.

WildLake
03-05-2006, 07:33 PM
So on a single pillar, you must "tenderize" (Ha Ha) the side of one block on all four sides of each course.

UNISCAPER
03-05-2006, 07:37 PM
If you want the split face to appear as though it was cast as such. Otherwise you will have the broken chisel face which won't necessarily match the factory facing.

WildLake
03-05-2006, 07:41 PM
So its your opinion that the tenderizer is a better match than the chisel. I don't like the chisel. If you have a patio with a wall that has an entrance, the smooth face at either side of the entrance doesn't bother me at all but you know how it looks on a pillar. I hate that. I will try the tenderizer.

UNISCAPER
03-05-2006, 07:58 PM
If there is too much haning over, chisel first, or even saw cut. Then use the tenderizer. The thing is if you saw cut you have a precise break where you need it and you can make the effect you want by using the tenderizer. It will take a little adjusting, but once you get the hang of it, you'll see what I'm talking about

WildLake
03-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the advice.

YardPro
03-05-2006, 08:18 PM
use a block splitter ( guillotine).

gives a precise cut and leaves a split face.

WildLake
03-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Thats something that Ive always wondered about. Have you used one for this purpose?

bigviclbi
03-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Can't you get a coventry corner piece? I build the pillars with the 16" corners that come in 6" heights.

YardPro
03-05-2006, 10:55 PM
yep, we own a guillotine. it is an expensive buy ( $1,200.) but worth every penny. we can use it for pavers as well. you can use it to cut antiqued pavers, and it creates a "rough" cut that matches the paver.

they are awesome for walls. We use it to cut all ends of blocks, top caps, etc.

here's the link
http://www.pavetech.com/newtools/wallsplitter.shtm

cgland
03-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Contry Manor is a soft split product, while EP Henry is hard split...two totally different looks. If you don't want to chisel or buy a splitter, go to your supplier and buy pre-split corners and stack as Bill mentioned. I believe it will give you a 22" pillar.

Chris

YardPro
03-06-2006, 12:28 AM
the soft split is the "pitted" look? is that correct?

cgland
03-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Yes. As the unit is lifted fromthe table, a bunch of "fingers" smear the face to give it the look it has.

Chris

UNISCAPER
03-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Our manufacturer uses what they call a line tumbler. After the stone is cast in a 0 slump, it goes along a beltway and then through a process that hammers the faces. Each Keystone licensee will use a little different way of achieving a similar effect.

WildLake
03-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Isn't country manor already finished on one of the ends. We have used double sided and I think I remember it having one of the ends finished. Does CM come in 3"

Dreams To Designs
03-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Wild Lake, if you have access to Techo-Bloc, they have pillars in kit form. The pillars are 6" blocks but are simple to assemble right off the pallet. If that is not an option, go with a splitter and you will be able to make a column in any size you desire with almost any block. You should be able to rent a splitter from your paver dealer if you choose not to buy one.

Kirk

UNISCAPER
03-08-2006, 12:14 AM
You use the cast cap stones on Country Manor for the 3" pieces. Other than that, it's all 6"