PDA

View Full Version : need help with anual bluegrass suppresion

hardcharger
03-05-2006, 07:28 PM
hey guys , im having trouble with annual bluegrass or ;poa,anna as they callit sometimes, im wanting a dirt cheap product and i want to keep the fescue around the area intact so roundup is not on the menu. any ideas? 24d wont kill it that i know of:) :confused:

teeca
03-05-2006, 08:55 PM
dimension has always done good for me.

teeca
03-05-2006, 09:08 PM
also, not sure of the turf in your area, but here in the north the best time to treat is as a pre-m. the poa dies-off after hard frost or after seedhead falls. post products get expensive, and depending on the temp and stress on the rest of the lawn, you may end up hurting it as well.

hardcharger
03-05-2006, 09:40 PM
i did some pre emerge earlier in 2005 but i still have a few patches around i want someting post emergent and cheap, dimension works well im a day late and a dollar short so to speak:dizzy:

ProLawns
03-06-2006, 04:19 PM
The only post emergent that I know for poa annua is ethofumasate (prograss). I've never used it but I hear it works best if you spray in the fall, unfortunately it's expensive. I did the Dimension mid Aug then seeded 60 day later route last fall. It really cut down on the poa but the new fescue didn't establish as well as without the Dimension.

ThreeWide
03-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Never used prograss either, but I've read research data suggesting you can use it to supress seedhead production in the Poa. Not necessarily killing it, but if you supress the seedheads it becomes less visible in a stand of Fescue.

It all depends on the application rate.

Putting out a preemergent 60 days prior to seeding is a common practice, providing that you don't overapply. Anything over the lightest application rate will provide too much coverage into you seeding window.

B&B
03-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Atrazine now & in Oct. It cost $10.00 per gal.

ThreeWide
03-07-2006, 07:40 AM
Atrazine now & in Oct. It cost $10.00 per gal.

Can't do that on Fescue.

John Gamba
03-07-2006, 07:52 AM
Core aerate the area first then cut the area very low and bag the seed heads.I have had very good luck in the past doing this.