PDA

View Full Version : Season Opener

Sir mowsalot
03-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Well tomorrow is the first day back to work, Yahoooo. Finally can get out of the house and go make some $$$. Spring cleanups with the temps in the low to mid 40's. By the end of the week highs in the 70's, so here we go. Anyone else in the northeast-midatlantic start yet?

lawnguyland
03-05-2006, 09:06 PM
I wasn't gonna start until next monday, but I may go out friday since it will be so nice and get the rust out. Tomorrow the ground will still be frozen so I'd do more harm than good. Tuesday trade show. Weds buy supplies. Thurs get equip ready, friday maybe start?!?!?!?!

twj721
03-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Mine started last week and finished 3 of them and starteed on the 4th one but it consist of 5 school grounds so I'll be busy all this next week Also saw and killed my 1st snake of the season I was weedeating and looked bown and there the little bugger was scared the jimmy christmas out of me weedeater did him in but I made sure the weed eater was not spining toward me Taht time of year again

Jpocket
03-05-2006, 10:24 PM
I may not start for another 2 weeks, honestly. We'll probably start advertising "officially" next week. I usually start clean-ups kinda late, but once we are rolling it's FULL steam ahead.

samk
03-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Lawns are like rocks around here. going into the 40s this week. maybe two to three weeks out ?

dKoester
03-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Started March 1st

LwnmwrMan22
03-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Gotta get rid of the 8" of snow on the ground first....

It'll be mid - end of April here.

AL Inc
03-07-2006, 12:43 AM
Still quite a bit of snow on the ground here....I'm prepping equipment this week, I have some RR tie and fencing work scheduled for next week, but it looks like clean-ups won't start until after St Pat's day. Can't be any worse than last year, we didn't get started until April 1st.

ProStreetCamaro
03-07-2006, 12:48 AM
We have a couple mulch jobs and a couple cleanups to do and with the warm weather this weekend I expect the grass to start getting green again. So we should start cutting in the next 2 weeks or so if the weather holds out.

just Cuts
03-07-2006, 01:16 AM
I started 6 days ago. Clean-ups. Have some mulch jobs later this week.

Richard Martin
03-07-2006, 06:09 AM
Today is my day. The wife and I are going on vacation at the end of this month so I have 14 days (M to F) to get a whole bunch of work done.

Sir mowsalot
03-07-2006, 07:58 AM
Well i did my first clean up yesterday, took 5 hours, and im spent. I have more i had scheduled for today, but im to sore to do anything, LOL, taking the day off to recover. OUCH, i hurt.

grasswhacker
03-07-2006, 08:04 AM
We have a couple mulch jobs and a couple cleanups to do and with the warm weather this weekend I expect the grass to start getting green again. So we should start cutting in the next 2 weeks or so if the weather holds out.

Why are you putting mulch down with ground temps so cold?

Signature Landscaping1
03-07-2006, 09:28 AM
70 in PA why not 70 in MA

mkwl
03-07-2006, 10:34 AM
I started 6 days ago. Clean-ups. Have some mulch jobs later this week.

Where in NJ are you???? I still have snow on the ground in places here in Northern, NJ! The lawns are brown, and still soft, and frozen in places. I'll get my equipment ready this weekend, and maybe start cleanups the week after next.

Brendan Smith
03-07-2006, 11:03 AM
60's and 70's here, rolling already. actually cut my first lawn of the season last weekend.

EDEN77
03-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Am starting this afternoon with a cleanup. Will be putting bark down this week. Why not mulch with temps this cold ? When spring comes, the temperature will easily extend below a thin layer of mulch.

just Cuts
03-07-2006, 12:12 PM
MKWL I'm in southern Burlington County.

Mr Budget
03-07-2006, 12:21 PM
To much snow in central Michigan yet:cry:

Fox Landscape Services
03-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Mine are on year round so cleanups have been done for quite some time. Start mulching this Sat.

grasswhacker
03-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Some info for all you who are anxious to mulch so early.

Timing the Application of Mulches

Mulch is usually applied first in spring after the soil has warmed and begun to dry from winter rains and snow. Depending on soil texture (size of soil particles, e.g., clay [very small]; silt [medium]; and sand [large]), temperature and other weather conditions, this is usually mid to late spring. Mulching too early can delay drying of soil and subsequent root growth which is dependent upon sufficient aeration (oxygen content in soil) and reasonably warm temperature in the root zone. In seasons of more than ample rainfall and/or cool temperatures, mulching should be delayed until late May or June.

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:WxgkVdk_YUwJ:ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1083.html+mulching+too+early&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=5&client=firefox-a

just Cuts
03-07-2006, 06:11 PM
The large companies around here have been mulching and landscaping for a few weeks now.Some never stopped from last year,worked right through winter.We really didn't have as cold of a winter here like in past years.

mkwl
03-07-2006, 06:27 PM
MKWL I'm in southern Burlington County.

Where's that, southern third of NJ?

rodfather
03-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Where's that, southern third of NJ?

pretty much yes

LwnmwrMan22
03-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Some info for all you who are anxious to mulch so early.

Timing the Application of Mulches

Mulch is usually applied first in spring after the soil has warmed and begun to dry from winter rains and snow. Depending on soil texture (size of soil particles, e.g., clay [very small]; silt [medium]; and sand [large]), temperature and other weather conditions, this is usually mid to late spring. Mulching too early can delay drying of soil and subsequent root growth which is dependent upon sufficient aeration (oxygen content in soil) and reasonably warm temperature in the root zone. In seasons of more than ample rainfall and/or cool temperatures, mulching should be delayed until late May or June.

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:WxgkVdk_YUwJ:ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1083.html+mulching+too+early&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=5&client=firefox-a

I agree.. there's an ideal time to do each and every bit of work.

Just like with mowing. You shouldn't mow if it's dewey, or too dry. You should never cut more than 1/3 of the blade of grass off. You should never cut in the rain.

However, we all know that work gets done when the customer wants to get the work done.

If I had access to mulch, I'd be doing it now. We still have snow on the ground, but I've got accounts that the entire mulched area is completely snow free.

Like an earlier post stated, when you're just topdressing the mulch, that 1" isn't going to hinder / help much in the temp factor.

Ol'time Lawncare
03-07-2006, 07:21 PM
I'm starting up monday with spring clean-ups. lets see how long the weather hold out!

mrusk
03-07-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm hoping to do a small paver job middle of next week. I have some small jobs lined up but no signed contracts on some larger estimates i have out. I don't plan to start clean up untill April 1st. Start mowing April 15th.

Mailed a couple hundred letters out today. Have a add starting in the Newspaper thrusday, and have adds running in 4 other papers next week. By april 1st i doubt i'll be working less than 70hours a week if my advertising works at all.