PDA

View Full Version : Sawzall vs. ratchet pvc cutters?

ray24/7
03-05-2006, 09:04 PM
I am thinking about buying a cordless reciprocating saw to replace my ratchet cutters, and am wondering what everyone here prefers and why. Most models i have seen are a little on the heavy side... does anyone know of a smaller lightwieght model?

Dirty Water
03-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Victor racheting cutters cannot be beat for 1" and smaller PVC.

I use a Dewalt Sawzaw on large pipe projects (2" - 4").

sheshovel
03-05-2006, 09:51 PM
I prefer my ratchet because of the clean cut they make and you dont have to worry about getting pvc dust in your way.

jerryrwm
03-05-2006, 11:03 PM
I prefer my ratchet because of the clean cut they make and you dont have to worry about getting pvc dust in your way.

There's your answer. If you prefer the Victor cutters then you should stay with them. You won't be happy with the sawzall because of the weight, and probably the PITA in getting it into awkward positions. If you use a sawzall on a regular basis then you'll be better suited for it.

You might try one of the cordless jigsaws for small diameter pipe for installations. Lighter weight, compact size. Just a thought.

I prefer a good solid hacksaw with 18 tooth blade, but's that's just because I'm usually doing some kind of repair and pipe sizes vary so much, and they are usually larger than my Victor can handle.

Jerry (who is now in SE Wisconsin and looking at about 3" of fresh fallen snow.)

emg35
03-05-2006, 11:44 PM
We use alot of large pipe and have gone to the stihl TS 400 Cutquik for pipe over 2".

Erik

Green Sweep
03-06-2006, 05:23 AM
Cordless Milwaukee (The Hatchet) Sawzall for 2" PVC & up.

PurpHaze
03-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Our Klein rachet cutters work for pipe up to 1-1/4" in size. Then we can either use our Lennox PVC/ABS hand saws on pipe larger than that. They come in two lengths and we use both depending on pipe size. We also use a DeWalt sawz-all on larger pipe depending on what we're doing. If we're cutting away larger pipe in the ground we'll often use the DeWalt to make the first cuts. Then we'll use the hand saws to perform the final straight cuts if the cut has wandered. This often happens when the pipe is bowed or under some other type of pressure.

One thing you have to be careful about with a sawz-all is that until you get good with it the cuts can wander, not creating a very straight cut. If the pipe is cold and unbraced there is also the chance of having the last bit of pipe break off. We use a Lennox "Fire & Rescue" blade with ours as it seems to have the best tooth pattern for our needs.

koster_irrigation
03-06-2006, 10:08 PM
rex wheeler 5290 1/2" - 1 1/4" ratching pvc cutter. the blades are outstanding. perfect square cuts every time.

ive also tried Ridgid brand ratcheting cutters, ......horrible. World known for their pipe wrenches, ive got two offset aluminum ones in the truck dont get me wrong.

And my opinion on the saw zaw, why pay 200 bucks or better for a cordless saw? ok try a souix chief brand hand saw, blows that lennox crap out of the water.

www.wheelerrex.com

www.souixchief.com

koster_irrigation
03-06-2006, 10:19 PM
^^^www.siouxchief.com ^^^^

PurpHaze
03-07-2006, 08:28 AM
ok try a souix chief brand hand saw, blows that lennox crap out of the water.

We don't have the Sioux Chief here but the Lennox crap has worked pretty well for us. :clapping:

You screwed me up on my Sioux spelling. I grew up on Sioux Rd. in Westminster, CA in a tract called the Indian Village. It was one of the words that I always knew how to spell since I was quite young. :laugh:

bicmudpuppy
03-07-2006, 08:59 AM
I like my sawzall. I use whatever version of kwick cutter is on the shelf at the parts house for small pipe applications. One of the benefits of "ham hands", I don't see much pipe a pair of cheap cutters won't cut vs a ratchet cutter. On larger pipe, I like my sawzall. Where a sawzall shines in my opinion, is that repair hole that is so tight you would otherwise need to hold a hacksaw blade with your hand. The longest blade available on the sawzall does wonders.

PurpHaze
03-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Where a sawzall shines in my opinion, is that repair hole that is so tight you would otherwise need to hold a hacksaw blade with your hand. The longest blade available on the sawzall does wonders.

I'll second that notion, even in large holes dug with our Bobcat. Two of our last three large mainline repairs had a LOT of roots in the hole and we couldn't dig worth beans right next to the pipe for fear we'd wipe out the wiring also. Used the DeWalt to cut out a large enough section of pipe for repairing with Dressers and to start pumping out the hole. Once the main was pumped down then it was easy to go in with shovels and peel back the roots and remove them without damaging the wiring. So much faster than with a hand saw. :clapping: