PDA

View Full Version : Trade in or sell myself ??

AboveTheCut
03-05-2006, 09:34 PM
I purchased a Exmark Lazer Z AS 52" with the ultra cut deck and 23 HP Kohler last year around this time. I only have 129 hours on it. I looked at the new 56" Lazer HP with the 27hp Kohler and the new Triton deck. I am very impressed with the changes they made to this machine. I wish this was out when I purchased but it wasn't. I would like to either sell or trade mine and get the new one. However, I am afraid of getting screwed. I read posts where people pay insane prices for older models with tons of hours. Any suggestions on how I should go about this or how much I should try to get without putting myself in the poor house. Thanks.

sheshovel
03-05-2006, 09:47 PM
I think you should sell yourself

Jcs Lawn and Landscape
03-05-2006, 09:49 PM
sell it yourself dealers always will screw you so they can make the profit

procut
03-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Definatly try to sell it yourself, you will probably get much more than what the dealer will offer you. Heck, you might even be able to sell it using the marketplace forum on this site.

Green-Pro
03-05-2006, 10:47 PM
I plan to sell my mowers rather than trade in, based upon what my dealer told me I could expect on trade. He flat out told me if I had the luxury of time (I do) I would be better off to sell it myself.

jtkplc
03-05-2006, 11:18 PM
I agree with the other guys, sell it yourself. Otherwise you will take a big loss so your dealer can make money off of it.

milo
03-05-2006, 11:45 PM
your dealer might give you $3000.00 for it. you could sell it in 1 day for 3600.00 sell it yourself.

CAG
03-06-2006, 01:47 AM
I think you might want to hold on to it for another year or so because you probably get the same amount for it with 400 hrs..

Richard Martin
03-06-2006, 04:16 AM
One of the advantages of trading it in is you get the value of the mower up front. If you sell it yourself you will get more but it could take a while to sell.

MOW ED
03-06-2006, 06:08 AM
Pros and cons both ways so you have to know what its worth. If you trade it in you will pay less tax on the purchase from the dealer as the end price will be reduced therefore less tax. If you can sell it for more than you can save it is great but how long will it take you to sell? Give e-bay a try but remember that there are fees to selling there also. You can also put it on this site for free and see if you get any hits. Good luck.

Richard Martin
03-06-2006, 06:19 AM
If you trade it in you will pay less tax on the purchase from the dealer as the end price will be reduced therefore less tax.

That little trick won't work in Maryland. The trade-in deduction is made after the sales tax is computed by state law.

AboveTheCut
03-06-2006, 12:15 PM
More specifics. The new machine I want is $7500. Dealer offered me $5500 for mine (129 hrs). Mine new sells for $7200 I think. Right now I am just trying to see how many options I have, what the market is for a slightly used lazer is, and if all the changes Exmark made to the new machine is worth $2500. Thanks again.

LwnmwrMan22
03-06-2006, 01:22 PM
That little trick won't work in Maryland. The trade-in deduction is made after the sales tax is computed by state law.

That's rediculous...

I'm surprised Minnesota hasn't come up with that yet.

AboveTheCut -

I'd offer him $1500 and your mower, if you want the new one that badly.

If he's a decent dealer, and you bought this mower from him last year, he'll probably say something like $1800 and yours, you just have to decide.

I agree with another post as well, wait one more year. Your mower with the 400-500 hours will still be worth a little less, but not that much, probably $500 or so. 2-3 years is a decent time to trade if you have a decent dealer to work with. Yearly, you're going to get sunk, even with selling yourself.

Alot of people will say "for an extra $1500, I can have a brand new one".....