PDA

View Full Version : Bad Boy Mowers ?

mmsd
03-05-2006, 10:51 PM
I saw my First Bad Boy machines today at a home show. This thing "looked" pretty nice. Anybody know anything about these units?

procut
03-05-2006, 10:54 PM
A dealer in my area just had an open house this weekend featuring bad boy mowers, I wanted to get down there, but didn't get a chance. My understanding is they have some reasonable prices. It seems like I can remember them being a sponsor of this site, not sure if they still are or not. If anyone has some info on them I'd like to hear it as well.

Restrorob
03-05-2006, 11:00 PM
A salesman brought one by the shop a while back, Me and the Boss checked it out and road it around. It had nothing on our Dixie Choppers and I didn't see where it was very maintenance friendly, Also didn't like the non grease-able deck spindles.

Green King
03-05-2006, 11:12 PM
I have demoed one and run the montana version as well. If you are brush hogging might be worth looking at. Otherwise I would steer clear of them for normal commercial mowing.

extoro
03-05-2006, 11:15 PM
I have demoed one and run the montana version as well. If you are brush hogging might be worth looking at. Otherwise I would steer clear of them for normal commercial mowing.

Heard they weren't building for Montana any longer - anyone else heard this?

DixieFerris
03-05-2006, 11:16 PM
took one for a ride at the Expo 2005 in Kentucky, felt like a really bad riding go cart. Built like a tank, very hard to maintenance, and very rough to say the least. No thanks

Travis Followell
03-06-2006, 05:16 PM
I drove one around the dealers lot a little bit about a year ago and it seemed like a impressive mower. I thought the machine was very comfortable and the steering was easy and responsive and I thought it rode decent too. Overall I really liked it and a very good mower for the money IMO. I didn't get to cut with it but I bet it would do a really good job because the deck is 5 1/2 inches deep with a 19000 fpm blade tip speed.

deereman
03-06-2006, 10:01 PM
You will have to ask Mr. Whiteslawnservices. He thought that he knew all about them BadBoys!:laugh: :laugh:

whiteslawnservices
07-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Well I dont ever ever ever wont that mower again thats all i can legaly say :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :laugh: You will have to ask Mr. Whiteslawnservices. He thought that he knew all about them BadBoys!:laugh: :laugh:

mowerman62383
07-02-2007, 08:48 PM
I demoed the 60" Lightening 32hp for the day. It is a real nice mower. The stripes it leaves are really defined and the ride was very comfortable. The only problem that I found was when you turn it spins more than normal but that could have been the tire pressure. In overall I would recommend this machine to others!

Dave Carney
07-02-2007, 09:12 PM
took one for a ride at the Expo 2005 in Kentucky, felt like a really bad riding go cart. Built like a tank, very hard to maintenance, and very rough to say the least. No thanks

Very hard to maintenance? With all the swing open panels?

puppypaws
07-02-2007, 09:44 PM
I saw my First Bad Boy machines today at a home show. This thing "looked" pretty nice. Anybody know anything about these units?

Just keep watching this forum, I have a 60" Lightening with a 32 hp Vanguard I am comparing with my Hustler Super Z 66"/28efi. I have run the Bad Boy 10 hrs. as of today and I am posting measurements of the machines when I finish this post.

jtrover
07-03-2007, 12:31 AM
A salesman brought one by the shop a while back, Me and the Boss checked it out and road it around. It had nothing on our Dixie Choppers and I didn't see where it was very maintenance friendly, Also didn't like the non grease-able deck spindles.

Your 100% correct, with dixie choppers horrible customer support, failure to stand behind their product, and the fact that you will spend more money in maintenance on a chopper during the second year of using it than your original payment was. How on earth can Bad Boy compete with Dixie Chopper! Chopper is only good at one thing, putting LCO's out of business.

rundm
07-03-2007, 07:48 AM
Can't see what the problem could be. I love mine. 26 horse lc kawi lightening model with 52in deck. Still pretty much brand new, but no problems yet and cuts high grass without any problems what so ever and I let my grass get pretty high before I cut. What maint problems could there be? Everything opens up. It took about 5min to change the oil the other day. Little hard to get to but nothing out of the ordinary. RG

whiteslawnservices
07-03-2007, 01:41 PM
All I know is that its Rough riding in a field and I bought 2 and returned them 3 weeks later

puppypaws
07-03-2007, 03:43 PM
All I know is that its Rough riding in a field and I bought 2 and returned them 3 weeks later

How long ago was that and which model did you have?

Torquer
07-03-2007, 03:55 PM
I have a lightning with the 32 hp Vanguard and a 60" deck. This independant suspension and the top of the line seat is the best ride I've had once the tire pressures are adjusted. The big block Briggs is an awesome engine and the cut is fantastic! Access is easy and the mower is built like a tank. Best of all the price can't be touched. What's not to like?

puppypaws
07-03-2007, 04:12 PM
I have a lightning with the 32 hp Vanguard and a 60" deck. This independant suspension and the top of the line seat is the best ride I've had once the tire pressures are adjusted. The big block Briggs is an awesome engine and the cut is fantastic! Access is easy and the mower is built like a tank. Best of all the price can't be touched. What's not to like?

I am running the same mower now and I am trying to figure out what he had that rode so rough.

Do you have the springs or new torsion rubber suspension on the front like the pictures I posted.

That 32 Vanguard is not bothered by anything on the 60" deck, I would love to try it on a 72".

What air pressure are you running?

Likestomow
08-11-2007, 04:22 PM
I demoed the Lighting model a few months ago. It had the suspension features and the 32 Briggs, so it had way more power than needed.

Coming from using a Dixie, well the ride was different and the controls were stiff. But I knew that was how it was going to be so it wasnít a surprise.

To me, the biggest advantage of the Bad Boy mower is their deck. That thing cut smooth, and didnít leave any thing to clean up. The electric lift took a little to get used to also, but still I liked that feature.

I have seriously considered buying a Bad Boy deck and retrofitting it on one of my Dixies. I think that would be a wonderful marriage.

puppypaws
08-11-2007, 06:30 PM
I demoed the Lighting model a few months ago. It had the suspension features and the 32 Briggs, so it had way more power than needed.

Coming from using a Dixie, well the ride was different and the controls were stiff. But I knew that was how it was going to be so it wasnít a surprise.

To me, the biggest advantage of the Bad Boy mower is their deck. That thing cut smooth, and didnít leave any thing to clean up. The electric lift took a little to get used to also, but still I liked that feature.

I have seriously considered buying a Bad Boy deck and retrofitting it on one of my Dixies. I think that would be a wonderful marriage.

That is something I did not understand and talked with the people at Bad Boy about. They put the electric lift deck on as a standard feature and give people the foot assist lift as a option. I told them it should be the other way around, I use my foot assist a great deal crossing uneven terrain and ditches.
The one I have on my 66" XR-7 deck is very easy to move up, as a matter of fact you will lift it into transport by accident sometimes because it works so smoothly.

The Bad Boy deck would not cut as clean as my Super Z with the XR-7 deck cutting at 2.75". The Bad Boy even with new fusion blades would leave some stragglers where the XR-7 would leave nothing at a faster speed and I ran them side by side with an exact comparison.

The Bad Boy has a place in the market but it is not a top contender at this time. I think with time they will gather a little more of the market, they are a very new company that is still learning but doing a good job of listening to their potential customers.

Happy Frog
09-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Does the foot assist option replace the electric lift or is it coming as an add on to the electric lift to quickly adjust the deck "on the go"? ;)

puppypaws
09-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Does the foot assist option replace the electric lift or is it coming as an add on to the electric lift to quickly adjust the deck "on the go"? ;)

It comes as an optional accessory to the electric lift. I told the factory that the foot lift should come standard with the electric lift being the option.

My 66" Hustler deck lifts extremely easy with your foot (so easy sometimes I kick it into transport by accident) I use it to change heights for a great number of reasons, crossing ditches, clearing objects and other things.

The electric lift is OK if everything you mow is like a table top, you set it and forget it.

Happy Frog
09-03-2007, 02:20 AM
It seems like a must have to me...
Then you have the best of both worlds: electric to set it up where you want and foot assist to kick it up in a snap when needed.:clapping:

Sweet Tater
09-05-2007, 09:54 PM
:confused: Ya'll sure this is a serious mower? I just looked at their site, they acually have an air foil wing for the mower.;)

Happy Frog
09-06-2007, 12:43 AM
These mowers look very solid in the way they are built.:usflag:
Like you, I do not care much for the "bad boy" aspect of the company. I believe that their advertisement style (see Big S..... video clip) is not serving them at all.:nono:
Also, I would like them to update their web site to reflect the changes they made on their mowers (they still have the old pictures with the springs instead of the rubber choc absorbers).:hammerhead:
However, I believe they are going to be a major contender in the next two year or so (keep this in mind and watch).
I like the electric deck control with the pedal assist: you set your deck on a flip of selector switch and have the ability to kick the deck up in a snap with the pedal to get over curb sides and what not...:clapping:
Their choice of engines is also hard to argue with: all their mowers have plenty of power for their deck size and they are all very reliable engines for what I have read on this forum.
What is it not to like about them?:confused:

whiteslawnservices
09-19-2007, 09:42 PM
No bumpy bad boy for me period yeap it mows fast but your back and teeth sure feel it haaaaaaa

puppypaws
09-19-2007, 10:55 PM
No bumpy bad boy for me period yeap it mows fast but your back and teeth sure feel it haaaaaaa

I ran the Lightening model with the 4 wheel torsion rubber suspension wide open, which is 14 mph and it did not ride bad at all. I let the air down to 10 lbs. all the way around and it handled rough ground better than most and I have a vertebra problem in my lower back.

Which Bad Boy are you speaking of being rough?

befnme
09-20-2007, 12:21 AM
dont buy one just yet. let em get all the bugs out. i bought the pup model 60" deck and it been nothing but probs. wiring coming undone all the time on the control arms, bearing squeeling like crazy (no way to grease them), valves need to be adjusted on the engine, been through 2 antiscalp rollers (1 each side) their oem rollers are crap, the elec deck adjustment always travel down over time if you dont keep your eyes on it........etc. i wont even go on any more. oh yeh but it only has 80+ hours on it.

puppypaws
09-20-2007, 01:01 AM
dont buy one just yet. let em get all the bugs out. i bought the pup model 60" deck and it been nothing but probs. wiring coming undone all the time on the control arms, bearing squeeling like crazy (no way to grease them), valves need to be adjusted on the engine, been through 2 antiscalp rollers (1 each side) their oem rollers are crap, the elec deck adjustment always travel down over time if you dont keep your eyes on it........etc. i wont even go on any more. oh yeh but it only has 80+ hours on it.

Yes, they have a ways to go but the difference is like night and day between the Pup and the Lightening at this time period. I ran one for a month and it was a good mower for the money, nothing like my Super Z but it has a place in the market and their people really listen to customer feed back.

rundm
09-23-2007, 09:59 AM
amazing, a guy just down the road from me got one of the pups 3yrs ago because it was the economy model and did not want to spend extra on the lightening model. he mows right at 3 acres once or twice weekly depending on the rain that we get. he loves his, had told me 6 months ago that the only thing that had gone wrong with his so far was that his belt broke and had to be replaced. runs like a horse and cuts most anything in its way. one of the main reasons why I bought the one I have right now. I went ahead and sprung for the lightening model with lc 26hp kawi. I also love mine and have not had any problems what so ever with mine yet. I will say that I do not have many hours on mine yet either. I hope it continues to be trouble free. RG

puppypaws
09-23-2007, 10:08 AM
amazing, a guy just down the road from me got one of the pups 3yrs ago because it was the economy model and did not want to spend extra on the lightening model. he mows right at 3 acres once or twice weekly depending on the rain that we get. he loves his, had told me 6 months ago that the only thing that had gone wrong with his so far was that his belt broke and had to be replaced. runs like a horse and cuts most anything in its way. one of the main reasons why I bought the one I have right now. I went ahead and sprung for the lightening model with lc 26hp kawi. I also love mine and have not had any problems what so ever with mine yet. I will say that I do not have many hours on mine yet either. I hope it continues to be trouble free. RG

I liked the Lightening I ran for a month, it has the torsion rubber suspension the Pup does not and this makes a considerable difference in open areas where you are able to utilize the 14 mph speed.

It will be nice if you keep us informed on the number of hours and any points you think could be changed for the betterment of the mower.

whiteslawnservices
05-06-2009, 02:24 AM
To me personaly I think I would rather use a JOHNDEERE THAN ANY BAD BOY THEY RIDE AND HANDEL SO MUCH BETTER AND USE THE BAD BOY 800 HRS AND TAKE IT IN FOR A TRADE IN ON A NEW ONE YOU WILL GET 2500-3000 MAYBE USE A
JOHN DEER 900 HRS AND GET 6500-TO 7500.00 REAL MONEY TRADE IN SO APPLES AND ORANGES I WILL PERSONALY STICK TO MY DEER

Razorblades
05-06-2009, 09:47 AM
To me personaly I think I would rather use a JOHNDEERE THAN ANY BAD BOY THEY RIDE AND HANDEL SO MUCH BETTER AND USE THE BAD BOY 800 HRS AND TAKE IT IN FOR A TRADE IN ON A NEW ONE YOU WILL GET 2500-3000 MAYBE USE A
JOHN DEER 900 HRS AND GET 6500-TO 7500.00 REAL MONEY TRADE IN SO APPLES AND ORANGES I WILL PERSONALY STICK TO MY DEER

I can't think of one person that has any intelligence about them, that would pay $7500.00 for a JD or any other brand, that has 900 hrs on it.

puppypaws
05-06-2009, 12:08 PM
I can't think of one person that has any intelligence about them, that would pay $7500.00 for a JD or any other brand, that has 900 hrs on it.

I can understand this as being a true statement. A Scag TT holds the highest resale value of any zero turn mower on the market today, and I really don't see a TT with 900 hrs. bringing $7500.00.

My dealer told me once he figured around $12.00 per hr. depreciation on a mower with 100 hrs., and it goes down as the number of hrs. increase. I would think it could possibly get into the $5.00 per hr. range for depreciation at 1000 hrs. In other words, $5.00 X 900 hrs. would put a $10,000.00 mower at $5500.00 by a dealers standards, this is not to say if it is immaculate an individual would not pay the original owner more for the mower. What this comes back to is; the worth of something is what someone is willing to pay. There is nothing made worth any amount of money, unless someone is willing to buy and pay for it.

Happy Frog
05-06-2009, 05:39 PM

And you revive a thread dead for more than a year to make a statement like this one? :laugh::laugh::laugh: