PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a dual exhaust on their work trucks?

tcls83
03-06-2006, 01:14 AM
I was thinking of getting an exhaust for my 97 Ram this spring. I want it for just to enjoy the sound of the V8. Anyone run an exhaust on their trucks? I also use this truck for plowing, and enter driveways in the early a.m. hours, would this anger customers? Maybe I should keep the old exhaust and swap that back for every winter.

Also, anyone recommend a good sounding exhaust? I kind of want a deeper sound to it, almost to feel a vibration in the cab. I dont really want much of a high pitch sound to it. I was thinking of just putting it before the rear wheels, so it would be heard in the cab better. People say they get sick of the noise, but I have owned loud trucks before, and never really get sick of it.

Madstriper
03-06-2006, 01:21 AM
I just got an 02 F250 with the 5.4 V8. First thing I did was get a cat back dual, done by a local shop. He put a Magnaflow turbo type muffler with two outs and then two 4" inch chrome tips. Love it, not to loud, but when you get on it, it sure sounds nice. Its not much louder at idle than stock, but its a deeper, throatier sound. But I have no clue what people would think while you are plowing. I live in central mississippi and we get the white stuff, which is usually frozen, about once every 6 years at best. You can push some down here, wish we got a little at least.

Jamesgateslandscaping
03-06-2006, 02:16 AM
Flowmaster, plain and simple, the most simple kit to bolt right on, isnt to loud either:usflag: . I have a 70 series on my 1/2 ton dual out the sides, sounds amazing.
James

tcls83
03-06-2006, 02:25 AM
Thanks-

Yeah, I've had Flowmasters before, sound good, well made, but I am looking for something a little different this time. Still will consider them though.

Which ones give you that strong pulsating "TAT-TAT-TAT" sound when you put your foot to the floor. Flowmaster has given me that sound on an old Chevy I own, but I've heard others that give that sound better, and they don't sound like flowmasters. Turbo Mufflers, Striper?

NewImageLawn&Landscape
03-06-2006, 02:52 AM
No duals but I put on a 4" MBRP Turbo back system, when I get a load on the engine you can really hear the turbo scream. Sounds good , but sorta loud when i'm plowing.

stroker51
03-06-2006, 05:15 PM
I got true duals with glass packs on my 83 that I plow with, not really too loud, sounds good right above idle, too many exhaust leaks when I stand on it to know how it sounds then:laugh: . Now, it is an old truck so the glass packs are acceptable, it don't sound like that is the sound you want though. A REALLY good sounding exhaust is my straight pipe on the old 7.3 Powerstroke, hear the turbo whistle!

tcls83
03-06-2006, 07:13 PM
I kind of like glasspacks though. Don't know if many newer trucks have them, wonder what kind of sound it would give a newer truck?

Jpocket
03-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Glass packes are kinda old school...definitley some type of turbo muffler

Madstriper
03-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Glasspacks are old school, but you can still get them. If you want the sound you described, go with glasspacks but dont get larger tips, stay with the same size as the pipe. It will sound like what you are looking for, espicially after the baffles wear out. When I was a teenager, (man, I hate to admit that was over 20 years ago) I would get the pipes hot by driving the truck for half hour or so, cut off the truck and stick the hose pipe up the tail pipe and fill the mufflers with water, just not too much pressure, dont want water in the engine, but it sure sped up the process of removing the baffles.
Good luck!!!!! If you are single, I hope you like redneck women, cause thats what kinda girls go for glasspipes........aka......redneck pipes.........I love em, just too old now..............lol
John

jsbmaine
03-06-2006, 08:02 PM
I have duals on my 85 ford w/ 460. I just bought the pipes at ViP, and then welded them up in the shop. Then I used a couple flowmaster mufflers I got off ebay. It's loud, but not really bad. My 95 powerstroke is louder, but the engine on that drowns out the exhaust. I used to plow with both, but I sold the 85 yesterday.
Never had a complaint, but people up here are used to old trucks and snow.:clapping:

POPO4995
03-06-2006, 09:32 PM
When I had my 2001 Ram 5.9L 360, I had Magnaflow dual mufflers, and 3 inch stainless tips come out at 45 degree angles. The sound was awesome...not too loud while plowing unless you really get on it. The tips out the sides really let the sound bounce off your surroundings and give you the good cab sound...:usflag: Here's the best pic I got of the tips

UNISCAPER
03-06-2006, 09:46 PM
180° headers and 4" tuned exhaust with no mufflers on a '46 Chevy with a 427 and double clodds. It's a little loud but if anyone does not like it they can roll up their windows or turn the radio up..

Jpocket
03-06-2006, 10:21 PM
I have duals on my 85 ford w/ 460. I just bought the pipes at ViP, and then welded them up in the shop. Then I used a couple flowmaster mufflers I got off ebay. It's loud, but not really bad. My 95 powerstroke is louder, but the engine on that drowns out the exhaust. I used to plow with both, but I sold the 85 yesterday.
Never had a complaint, but people up here are used to old trucks and snow.:clapping:

Yea I wish more ppl. ran old trucks around here, I only know of 1 or 2 actual "Companies" that still run the 73-87 chevys everyday. Most have em but they just sit at the shop. Personally thats all we run.

NEUSWEDE
03-06-2006, 10:22 PM
I just got an 02 F250 with the 5.4 V8. First thing I did was get a cat back dual, done by a local shop. He put a Magnaflow turbo type muffler with two outs and then two 4" inch chrome tips. Love it, not to loud, but when you get on it, it sure sounds nice. Its not much louder at idle than stock, but its a deeper, throatier sound. But I have no clue what people would think while you are plowing. I live in central mississippi and we get the white stuff, which is usually frozen, about once every 6 years at best. You can push some down here, wish we got a little at least.

Can you post some pictures? I have an 04 F-350 with the same engine, been looking for a set-up and I like what you have. I have always liked the sound of magnaflow.

Thanks

AintNoFun
03-06-2006, 11:18 PM
all my ford diesels have the mufflers cut out of them and i just ordered some stacks for the peterbilt.. i love making noise!

howardsells2000
03-07-2006, 01:52 AM
In 2004 I bought my F-150 brand new and before I had 50 miles on it, I put on a Flowmaster Cat Back System. I love it.

SKAT LAWN
03-07-2006, 03:53 AM
yes. 97 chevy v8 4x4 4 door. no problems so far.

:)

tcls83
03-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Hmmm, Glasspacks? I like the old-style sound. Or maybe turbo mufflers. Exiting off both sides before rear wheels with a stock look.

Anyone have it set up before the rear wheels? Its just a 1500 short-box 4x4 with a 318. Anyone take out or gut the cat?

stroker51
03-07-2006, 10:01 PM
I dunno how legal it is to mess w/ the cat on a gasser, esp. a newer one. On a few of our old farm pickups, we cut out the cat, but when you are going through pastures and such, it is a fire hazard, so it is a LOT safer for us to do this. The last truck we did was a 97 with a bale bed that my cousin bought, and the guy who put the glasspacks on it didnt really like that there was no cat, but since he didnt cut it out it wasnt his problem. For everyday street use, I dont think it is a very good idea to do anything to the cat on a gasser, now a Diesel is a different story:cool2: I would just do a cat-back deal.

JTS Landscaping lawn
03-08-2006, 09:38 PM
i have 3" duals on mine not sure what kind though came with the truck when i bought it. i use mine as a personal and work truck and i havent had anyone complain yet i use it for plowing and everything. im putting 4" tips on it hoping that it will sound a little deeper.

LawnGuy73
03-09-2006, 09:23 AM
I like to keep the factory look on my trucks. I think it looks more professional.

PaulJ
03-09-2006, 09:40 AM
I had a true dual system put on my '77 gmc last fall after the new engine went in. I went with a quiet turbo type muffler 'cause I didn't want to scare my old lady customers pulling up with glass packs. They still have a nice rummble tothem aspecialy when the 4-barrel opens up just not a load rummble.
My Dad had a '78 that wold go through mufflers like crazy like two sets a year. They were lifetime warranty mufflers but he got tired of the hassle and put glass packs on and they would last several years and would just sound better with age. the neighbors on the next farm over almost a mile away said they could hear that truck start up in the mornings. I Loved driving that old truck.

man of stihl
03-18-2006, 09:52 AM
i have headman headers into true duals containing magnaflow cats, hooker header aerochamber mufflers, and back into 4 inch stainless 45 degree slash cut tips that come out behind each tire at a downward swept angle. im 16 and i love the sound of that v8. i dont plow with it soo... it sounds real good to me tho. everyone knows my truck and they here me coming.. gotta love that v8 rumble:cool2:

lawnsbyrj
03-18-2006, 09:16 PM
3 chamber flowmasters are a little more quite but my 99 ram had 2 chambers and until the welds rusted out they were just fine and now i need to add them to my flat bed , i just cant get used to that quite of a truck

BRAAAP
03-18-2006, 10:10 PM
I've had straight pipes on all of my trucks nothing sounds better! 86 dodge
99 dodge and my 02 ram its not to bad plowing with them but towing a enclosed trailer sucks:hammerhead: .

FearThisDeere
03-18-2006, 11:07 PM
I have a 3" in 2.5" out dual Flowmaster origional 40 with 4" stainless tips. It is load when you step on it, but with just regular driving it has a nice deep tone. You can hardly hear it unless you step on it. I have it on my plow truck, but don't really think what my customers are going to think next year!:rolleyes:

The Yard Barber, Inc.
03-18-2006, 11:16 PM
my friends Z-71 sounds the best i have ever heard. It goes from headers to 3" pipes, then "X" together and out with 3" then out to 4" pipes for about 2-4 feet (depending on length of truck) then back to 3" pipe to 3 1/2 " stainless tips. him, our friend and i did it and it sounds great.