PDA

View Full Version : moss kill on new lawn?

Martee
03-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Question for all you fert pros. I have a lawn I did last fall. The customer put moss kill on the lawn and most of the lawn was gone then. I dethatched, aerated, top dressed with good soil and reseeded. It is looking good now but has moss coming back, is it too tender to put moss kill on it again. Still wet and around 40ish degrees here. Any help would be great thanks.
And no I dont have a license for this and so I wont do it myself will call someone or homeowner said they would do it and fert also.

Puttinggreens
03-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Is it moss or algae?

Microbe
03-06-2006, 12:06 PM
WHY DON"T YOU ASK THIS QUESTION IN THE ORGANIC LAWN CARE FORUM! Just an idea....... Get to the root of the problem and stop masking the symptoms....

Prolawnservice
03-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Soil Test, find out whats out of whack. Check for too much shade as well.:hammerhead:

Martee
03-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the input, it is not algae and it isnt due to shade in the sun all day except for a small cherry tree. I will have a soil test done and see what comes up. I added 4" of new good soil before I put down the new seed.
thanks again

richallseasons
03-07-2006, 10:51 PM
get a soil test but it sounds like you need to lime,your ph is low or sour or acidic however you may refer to it in your neck of the woods

KLMlawn
03-07-2006, 10:59 PM
get a soil test but it sounds like you need to lime,your ph is low or sour or acidic however you may refer to it in your neck of the woods

The above is the right approach, along with overly moist soil, lots of shade, poor drainage ....
Aerate, check pH and lime accordingly, try thining out surrounding trees to increase light, and if all else fails, have someone licensed come in and apply some quicksilver .... that works too.

lilmarvin4064
03-08-2006, 08:14 AM
I've heard quicksilver works pretty good, but what rate do you use? A buddy of mine has a bottle of it, and I would like to test it out. The label on his bottle is not listed for moss control but I remember seeing that they were going to add it to the label on newer bottles of quicksilver. I've read anywhere from 2 to 7 oz/acre. FMC says 6.7 oz/acre for moss control. This is way over the labeled rate on his bottle, the highest it goes is 2.1 oz/acre. Would 6.7 oz/acre be too high a rate to use of fescue?

Fert Guy
03-08-2006, 06:26 PM
the 6.7 oz per acre rate on QuickSilver is only for use on Penncross or Crenshaw Bent Grass. The label does not mention any other varities of turf. Only that if using on another kind of turf, a small test area should be done to determine tolerance