PDA

View Full Version : Rezloh Cutting Edge--Anyone using one?

Bob E G
03-06-2006, 11:16 AM
I am thinking about putting one on a skid steer. How are they for cutting, cleanup. How well do they wear? Are they as good as a tooth bucket? Kind of pricey. Just wondering if they are worth it. I like the idea of having ONE bucket.

ksss
03-07-2006, 12:48 AM
I have one on a 73" bucket. It has about 3K collective hours on it maybe a tad more. It is getting wornout. It is great edge and I will buy another. As far as having one edge, well I don't know that I would go that far and yes I know what they advertise. When the edge had about 250 hours on it I was picking topsoil up off asphalt. I put the edge on the asphalt to scrap and promply stuck the edge into the pavement. Actually my only complaint is trying to pick material up off of asphalt or concrete. I don't bring that bucket if I know that I will have to pickup off of an improved surface. You end up doing more shoveling than your probably used to. Other than that it beats a tooth bar and a straight cutting edge in every way. It levels better, can act as a scarifier and yet can leave a smooth finish. They do cost enough but they last and they have a lifetime warranty against breakage.

Scag48
03-07-2006, 12:56 AM
Wow, those look awesome! I watched the video and they do leave a nice, flat finish. Kaiser, would you suggest we put one on our 60" combo bucket? We only have one bucket and it has to do everything, including levelling, perfectly as we can't just switch buckets for different conditions. At times I wish I had a tooth bar, but I'd have to have another bucket. With this, it looks like it can do everything a tooth bar can plus leave the nice finish that a bolt on edge leaves. What do you think?

ksss
03-07-2006, 01:22 AM
Other than picking up material off of concrete/asphalt, it is excellent. Typically I will push material that is on the street to a curb and roll the bucket up the curb to fill the bucket. You don't do that with the Rezloh edge, instead you shovel. It is very surprising how effective the edge is at digging into hardpack soil, frost and rock. After this much time with one you really have no choice but to replace it with another. I really have come to depend on the edge in tough ground conditions. As far as using it on your only bucket, I would as long as your carefull on some surfaces. It is a habit to scrap material off of a roadway by placing your bucket at 30 to 45 degrees and go. Like I said above, with that edge you will no doubt go right through the asphalt.

Scag48
03-07-2006, 01:24 AM
We don't work on too much asphalt, that's the good thing. How much does a set of these edges cost?

ksss
03-07-2006, 01:43 AM
They wont be bad for a 60" but I think they are about 5-600 for a 73". I got mine at cost at the time as they were wanting to get some out in this market. There is about a 25% mark up from wholesale to retail. You might be able to dicker it down from list price. I did not mention this before but they come in three pieces. Makes it nice when putting it on and if you break a portion the entire edge does not need to be replaced. If you get one they are left, center, and right specific. you'll want to watch that when you put it on.

janb
03-07-2006, 01:44 AM
We don't work on too much asphalt, that's the good thing. How much does a set of these edges cost?

it depends... where you buy it. Rezloh (washington based, as am I, and you too!) never replied to my requests for dealers so...

for an 84" (3 sections wide, as are most applications, ...this was news to me)

Bobcat wanted $1295 (of course payup )
Case wanted $895 + shipping (via rezloh rep (ex-Western Power employee) was available in Lewiston)
and I bought mine from Case (WP-Portland) off their excess inventory for $525, but I needed to drill different holes since it had odd spacing

I haven't used it yet, so no report... I mounted it on my 4 in 1, which I feel ideal, as it still gives me straight edges on the clam portion for getting that last bit of material (via pinch or back drag)

very interesting, is that the early edges (5/8" plate) were wearing out too fast on heavy skids, due to significant downpressure at edge, so now they are 1" for my application. This thing is beefy and I expect it will outlive me, as I usually work in pretty soft conditions

ksss
03-07-2006, 01:49 AM
I'll bet that was not easy drilling holes in 1" hardened plate.

janb
03-07-2006, 02:20 AM
I'll bet that was not easy drilling holes in 1" hardened plate.

I drilled my bucket, instead of the edge, as it would require the Csk, + square hole for plow bolts. (I miss the EDM machines (wire (.004" like 4 axis band saw, amazing fast and accurate +/- .000050") and sinker) of my previous employ)

with mag drill, It took ~ 1 hr and I dulled one 7/8" drill (real good, need a replacement, hit a hard spot)

BTW - I met up with the 'Robotics team' from Rigby HS at western nationals last saturday (PDX). They had some brut force, and could really smack the high tech versions, but the scoring was not in their favor. There were some amazing creations, (~30 teams) My favorite scored about 30 shoots with Nerf basketballs in last 4 sec (gatling Gun) It set the national 'high score' record :clapping: http://robotics.nasa.gov/first/2004/portland.htm

Bob E G
03-07-2006, 11:40 AM
I talked with the guy at Rezloh. He told me about the 1" thick edge. He told me that guys were wearing out the 3/4" edge somewhat quickly, and that the 1" would make quite a difference. Didn't get a price, but he told me it is not much more, for the thicker edge.

Sorry to hear that you can't scrape the street clean, though. Since to me, that was the big plus of this edge.

janb
03-07-2006, 12:54 PM
...Sorry to hear that you can't scrape the street clean, though. Since to me, that was the big plus of this edge.

you can get the road surface clean due to large flat surface of edge, and material climbs up the ramped teeth and jogs, but... eventually you end up with the material that can be trapped in the 3"x3" jogs between teeth. You can back drag that into a furrow, but, then it will be shovel time, unless you have a graveled shoulder at the site.

Bob E G
03-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Yea, the shoveling would be a drag. How clean can you scrape the pavement? Is it almost as good as a straight conventional edge?

janb
03-08-2006, 12:23 AM
"pretty clean" you have an 8-10" x 1" edge, teeth in front, flat on rear. Teeth break up the compacted dirt clods, and back drag for final 'clean sweep' (left with a thin ridge of material to sweep or shovel) It seems the broom is a good finishing touch anyway (customers and 'city inspectors' like to see you using those)

Bob E G
03-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Sounds like a good way to go, for me. Thanks for all the good info!