PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys charge the same for fert, herb, pesticide applications?

instyle
03-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Hi,
I am new to the chemical world. I am in the process of becoming certified to apply. Just wondering if you guys chage the same price for all three types of applications....based on the same house.
Or do you charge more for one?

Also when giving bids for commercial accounts....how do you base you prices?

Thanks a bunch.

Jason from Canada

Killswitch
03-06-2006, 01:05 PM
I suggest you get some experience by working for someone else first. Not trying to be a prick but it doesnt sound like you have much if any. You can learn a lot working for Tru Green for a year, get licensed, some apps and production under your belt and learn about the turfgrasses in your zone.

PGA
03-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Hi,
I am new to the chemical world. I am in the process of becoming certified to apply. Just wondering if you guys chage the same price for all three types of applications....based on the same house.
Or do you charge more for one?

Also when giving bids for commercial accounts....how do you base you prices?

Thanks a bunch.

Jason from Canada

I charge the same for all APPS except for grub control.

All my producuts (pre-ems and ferts) are relatively the same in price, give or take a few dollars so I give them a set price depending on the sq ft.

Grub is priced at 50% more then a reg app.

work_it
03-06-2006, 01:15 PM
I suggest you get some experience by working for someone else first. Not trying to be a prick but it doesnt sound like you have much if any. You can learn a lot working for Tru Green for a year, get licensed, some apps and production under your belt and learn about the turfgrasses in your zone.
I agree that working for somebody else for a year is a good idea, but not TG/CL. He needs to find one of the more reputable companies in his area that concentrate on quality instead of quantity.

PGA
03-06-2006, 01:25 PM
I dont mean to sound like a jerk but give him an answer that relates to the question.

I started doing apps this year. I run a FT mowing company and decided to branch out and offer more. I couldnt of left my company and worked for someone else to get experience. I have to learn as I go.

He might be in the same situation.

Lets keep this on track.

Killswitch
03-06-2006, 01:25 PM
I worked there for five years, and other large companies. I know they have their limitations, but their training in pretty invaluable for the price.

Killswitch
03-06-2006, 01:29 PM
I dont mean to sound like a jerk but give him an answer that relates to the question.

Do you own this place dude? I cant tell this guy what I think but you can tell me.

instyle
03-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Yep, I have way too much invested in my company right now to go work for someone else. Chemical applications is not my focal point, or anywhere close to it. But, I will be certified and lisceneced to apply, so I am am going to learn as I go. Iam just looking for some advice.
Ps: I am not going to be taking any work away form anyone on this site.

Thanks for the help PGA.

jason u
03-06-2006, 01:31 PM
In regards to pricing, price by the area to be applied to, except for commercial accounts where time needed becomes a factor, it's much easier to apply fert to 20,000 sq ft lot than to a 20,000 sq ft condo or apartment.

Best of Luck

P.S. What part of Canada??:canadaflag:

Killswitch
03-06-2006, 01:35 PM
I thought my advice was sound. I read the post and assumed he was some 18 year old trying to get into a new business without experience.

*shrugs*

PGA
03-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Do you own this place dude? I cant tell this guy what I think but you can tell me.

No I dont own it.

You can tell anyone what you think but instead of wasting your time and his stick to the subject.

Its threads like these that get way off base and the question is never answered.

Ok....."dude"?

PGA
03-06-2006, 01:44 PM
I thought my advice was sound. I read the post and assumed he was some 18 year old trying to get into a new business without experience.

*shrugs*

Or you could of read his profile and seen he's been in business for 5 years...

PGA
03-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Yep, I have way too much invested in my company right now to go work for someone else. Chemical applications is not my focal point, or anywhere close to it. But, I will be certified and lisceneced to apply, so I am am going to learn as I go. Iam just looking for some advice.
Ps: I am not going to be taking any work away form anyone on this site.

Thanks for the help PGA.

Im in the same boat you are. I just started to do apps this season. Ive been around long enough that I know most of the companies around me wether they are small or large. I spoke with some of them and got their pricing scale. I adjusted it to what I thought I needed to make a healthy profit.

My advice to you is do the same. Find out what your pricing for the product is going to be and work from there. Call around and get some estimates from other companies also. Its helpful to know what others are charging so your not charging to much but its enough to make a good profit.

Killswitch
03-06-2006, 02:00 PM
No I dont own it.

You can tell anyone what you think but instead of wasting your time and his stick to the subject.

Its threads like these that get way off base and the question is never answered.

Ok....."dude"?

I dont think it was a waste of time. You didnt either apparently since Ive occupied fifteen minutes of yours.

:)

Killswitch
03-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Call around and get some estimates from other companies

Your advice is to call other companies and see what they charge?

lol

Get real. Dude.

PGA
03-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Your advice is to call other companies and see what they charge?

lol

Get real. Dude.

Uhh yeah, its called knowing what your market can bear. Its basic economics and taught in highschool.

You can try to turn this into a pissing match which you will inevitably lose or you can offer sound advice.

Do what you think is right.

work_it
03-06-2006, 04:02 PM

I started doing apps this year. I run a FT mowing company and decided to branch out and offer more. I couldnt of left my company and worked for someone else to get experience. I have to learn as I go.

He might be in the same situation.

Lets keep this on track.Sorry the answers he was getting didn't appease you. The chemical lawn business isn't something you just decide to get into, run out and get a license, get a base of knowledge through the state extension office, and go out to experiment on people's lawns. If you don't have the time to spend working for another company then you may want to consider hiring somebody with the experience and knowledge you're lacking.

As for pricing, that depends as well. I take into consideration levels of liability, chemicals involved, and time. Other factors may apply, but that covers the basics.

PGA
03-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Sorry the answers he was getting didn't apease you. The chemical lawn business isn't something you just decide to get into, run out and get a license, get a base of knowledge through the state extension office, and go out to experiment on people's lawns. If you don't have the time to spend working for another company then you may want to consider hiring somebody with the experience and knowledge you're lacking.

As for pricing, that depends as well. I take into consideration levels of liability, chemicals involved, and time. Other factors may apply, but that covers the basics.

Apology accepted.

And just to let you know. There are tons of people who actually go to school for this and NEVER spend one day working for another person.

If the question he asked had anything to do with gaining experience you would of been right on with your answer. Since it didnt...

Funny how I didnt insult anyone yet both of you come back like to gals on PMS.

Lighten up ladies and stick to the subjects.

work_it
03-06-2006, 04:17 PM
You're the one who stated that you didn't want to sound like a jerk...but you did anyway. So, you want to meet me for tea and crumpets bi#*h?

Or I can be more like you PGA. Humm...that would go something like this....'Do like me dude! Call around and get prices from guys that know what they're doing and won't screw up people's lawns. Then go out and have at it bud. Just try not to screw up too much, and if you do screw up remember one word...denial.'

PGA
03-06-2006, 04:30 PM
You're the one who stated that you didn't want to sound like a jerk...but you did anyway. So, you want to meet me for tea and crumpets bi#*h?

Or I can be more like you PGA. Humm...that would go something like this....'Do like me dude! Call around and get prices from guys that know what they're doing and won't screw up people's lawns. Then go out and have at it bud. Just try not to screw up too much, and if you do screw up remember one word...denial.'

Im really not to sure what your trying to do. If you want to call names I would suggest you go somewhere else to do it.

Maybe a grade school playground?

For someone who is almost 40 years old I would suggest you start taking a more adult approach to things that bother you.

Also dont put words in peoples mouths. I never told him not to get an education for himself. I never told him not to learn things. He asked a question about pricing and I gave him an answer. I also never said to do it like I did so that is another lie. I gave him advice and suggestions. Wether or not he chooses to listen to it is up to him.

If you spent more time giving ideas instead of picking fights and threatning people on a message board you might be more well liked.

You have my pity.

coyoteman
03-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Jason, We charge a different rate depending on the application. You need to realize here in Canada we are very limited to the products available so in some cases you are stuck paying the high prices for some products. For example a 10L jug of Sevin is 3 times more then a jug of Par 3. So you need to figure out your cost and your expected profit to find the price for each app. But we do offer equal billing to our customers which is the total for the year divided by the number of apps. you intend to do. Hope this helps.

work_it
03-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Awe, thank you so much for your pity PGA, but I don't need it. Nor do I want it. Hey, I was just trying to make you feel like you fit in with (as you put it) "the girls". As for picking fights and threatening people; so sorry you're feeling that way, but that wasn't my intention. As for other members on this and other sites, they know me for being straight up honest and someone who doesn't mind cutting through the BS to get to the problem at hand. And if you're willing to insult me I'm willing to reciprocate. I'm not here to be gentile and spare other people's feelings. I try to offer the best advice I can, and sometimes the advice I render is to help someone recognize an underlying problem.

In this case it is inexperience and lack of knowledge. Since he already has a company up and running that is demanding of his time; then it's safe to say that he doesn't have the time to work for somebody else. This is why I later advised him to consider hiring somebody with the knowledge and experience to handle lawn treatments. That person would, more than likely, also know the going rates and price structures in his area. After all, how is somebody in Kentucky, Texas, California, or the transitional zone going to help him with price structure?

Another reason I gave the advise to hire somebody is because of a few business articles and interviews I've read that made a lot of sense. They basically boiled down to saying, 'You can't expect to do everything yourself and do all of them great. Instead, hire great people to surround you and let them do what they do best. Your job is simply to let go of the reigns and let them do what you hired them to do.' You can also consider it as hiring a mentor.

Of course, I understand that there's going to be plenty of people who don't agree with that advise. That's OK too. Unlike some, I really don't mind reading other peoples opinions/views, and I like a wide array of perspectives.

PGA
03-06-2006, 06:20 PM
I agree with most of that.

Keep in mind I was not telling him what to charge. I gave him the different options of what goes into pricing an application and how to figure it out. In no way did I compare what I charge to what he should be charging.

The fact is to many people on this site are quick to tell people to use the search button, tell them to get certified or completely give an off-the-wall answer. I was very polite in asking both of you to keep to the subject. I wasnt rude or insulting in any way shape or form yet I was called names. Thats childish.

I have my company up and running also. I chose to get into the application side this year also. I see nothing wrong with that. Some of us cant afford to hire people to do the work for us. Some of us dont have the time to work for someone else and who in their right mind would hire and train their competition? I know I wouldnt.

Its not that I didnt agree with your advice. I just didnt think your answer was suited for the question. It was like asking what kind of truck he should buy and you telling him to make sure it comes with a CD player. BUT WHAT TRUCK SHOULD IT BE?

And BTW, being honest with someone doesnt mean you call names. The 2 dont walk hand in hand at all.

instyle
03-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Okay thanks guys. I have learned a few things here.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
03-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Sorry you had to read alot of crap to get a little helpful info.

timturf
03-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Sorry you had to read alot of crap to get a little helpful info.

I agree!

To answer your question, I charge differently. Why, because you have fix cost up front, like insurance, license, phone, adv, equipment, product, time selling your company (what does it cost to get a new client) turn over rate.

I offer a 4 application program, with the 3rd application is the most expensive, followed by the 1st app, then the 4th app, with the 2nd being the most cheapest.

I offer two payment plans, pay in full after first visit, with a discount, or make 3 payments, payment of 45% after first visit, 30% after 2nd visit, and 25% after 3rd visit.

Hope this helps!

turf hokie
03-07-2006, 09:32 AM
I charge the same per application. BUT I have a clause in my contract that the prices are based on a "yearly program" if a contract is cancelled midseason then I will pro-rate the services rendered.

It is taking a chance but the only company around here that doesn't charge the same per round is TG and we all think that is b/c they expect to lose their customers. I expect to keep mine for the entire season.