PDA

View Full Version : Exmark: Small ZTR or Walk behind. Help!

KB
03-06-2006, 01:38 PM
In 2000, I bought an Exmark Turf Tracer 48"/17Kaw. I LOVED the mower and the quality of the cut, but I wanted a bigger/better toy so I sold in and in 2001 bought an Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"/23Kaw. I loved it too and although I was always pleased with the cut, I actually lost a job because the lady did not think that it was as good a cut as with the walk behind. It did "dip" a little on slopes leaving the lines in the lawn where the TT did not. Anyway, I am no longer in the business (it was part time) but I do want a mower for home use. I plan on keeping whatever I get until I go to the grave, but if I did have neighbors who wanted their lawn mowed, I would for a little extra cash. Would you go walk behind again (better quality of cut and lower price) or small rider (more expensive but easier on me as I get older)? Do you feel that a walk behind provides the better cut? In live in N. Georgia and their terrain varies from flat to very hilly. Thanks!

bwilder10h
03-06-2006, 03:08 PM
I don't think one mower cuts better than the other because it's a rider or a w/b. It has more to do with deck design, blade sharpness and how fast you are going.

Personally, I would stick with a w/b because they do cut nice and the same deck on a Z would cost you double the money.

Just stay away from Toro super flow decks. I have one on my 44" w/b and it sucks. If I could do it over, I would get an Exmark.

EXspyguy
03-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Check out Exmark's new phazer ztr. Price is in line with a TTHP.

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
03-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Isn't An Exmark Technicaly The Same Thing As A Toro Except For Minor Differences?

Tadams
03-06-2006, 08:49 PM
What part of GA are you from KB? I'm in Cartersville- about 40 miles north of Atlanta on I-75.

If you liked the cut of the 48 WB, I'm sure you would love the cut of the 48 Lazer hp.

justanotherlawnguy
03-06-2006, 10:21 PM
My belt drive 36 metro cuts just as beautiful as the 60 Lazer. The 60 obviously looks nicer because there are less passes. As far as quality of cut, when I first started all I had was the metro and It cuts awesome, alot more work and the machine will beat you up a bit.

As long as there are sharp blades my Metro, Lazer HP, and Lazer all cut awesome.

FdLLawnMan
03-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Isn't An Exmark Technically The Same Thing As A Toro Except For Minor Differences?

The frames are the same & I believe the drive system is the same. The difference that I know is different is the decks are completely different. I tried them both & I thought they both cut excellent great. They were both 60" decks. I bought the Exmark only because of the dealer.
As far as which one to buy the walk behind is lighter so not as much compaction & it is easier to control on smaller lawns. But they are not as fast & the ZTR can carry a bigger bagger if you are into that.

Mike Immel
Mike's Total Lawn Care