PDA

View Full Version : New mower or used?

CompletePropertyCare
03-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Iím in a bit of a dilemma. Iím working with my local Exmark dealer on buying a new 52 in. hydro walk behind. My back up mower is a Kubota 60 inch tractor (last resort) all my friends and family think Iím crazy for going and buying a new mower, they all say go used for half the price. I see it much differently, if I go and buy something used there is a greater chance that something will break, then Iím stuck with the tractor and a 21-push mower. Additionally in just a few years I will most likely need to replace anyways. The new mower is a decent size buy but has a warranty and someone else hasnít beaten it on. Whatís the consensus?

MysticLandscape
03-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Buy new, it will save you $$ and time in the long run. Instead of buying a used one and then sinking more money into it just get a new one right off the bat, you will get some good use out of it before any major repairs are needed.

jarroo's lawncare
03-06-2006, 03:26 PM
when i first started mowing i bought a brand new exmark 48" viking, my girlfriend thought it was a bad idea but i got it payed for. i also made through the whole season without having any trouble. other than the maintenence that was all that was done to it. in my opinion i would not buy a used mower, the way i see it is that buying a used mower is not like buying a used cars. i know that my mowers that i have are used wide open all season long but are maintained regularly. i would go for the new mower you never know what a used one has been through.

westwind
03-06-2006, 06:07 PM
If it is affordable, new. We buy all of our equipment new, that was not always the case. When i started my first co. used was the most affordable.

qualitylawnmanagement
03-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Buy all new equipment. If you don't have money up front for a big mower then most dealers has 6 months same as cash with zero interest. Always buy new cause you never know how the other guy used it. I know on my machines I beat the piss out of them. My dixie chopper only has 504 hours on my mower and bent my deck a couple of times, broke my armrest holder and bent tire rims, thats it so far but thats why I replace them every two years.

lawnguy001
03-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Nothing wrong with buying new . But when you 've been in the business for a while , you'll know what to look out for when buying used. Last 2 mowers I bought were purchased in the off season, co. going out of business, needing fast cash. I buy nothing more than 2 years old , with low hours. There are good deals out there, if you're patient.

cwlawley
03-06-2006, 10:10 PM
I only buy used mowers. You can check them out, or bring them to a mechanic. The warranties on new mowers are crap and a used mower can be a lot more affordable no matter if you have a business that is started or a big business.