PDA

View Full Version : I Need Some Input

Signature Landscaping1
03-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Im buying a few more things i need for this season.
I need a new spreader, which one??
I want to buy my oil in bulk, should i buy quaker state or what brands of oil do you guys use??
Im getting shirts done, i have a local place that does them should i stick with them or order them online?

Thanks,
Joe

Signature Landscaping1
03-06-2006, 05:22 PM
anyone? please

EXspyguy
03-06-2006, 05:28 PM
I have not found any bulk oil that is any cheaper than buying in quarts. I like spyker spreaders. I like dealing local. My local guy has my artwork on file and can zap out somthing anytime I need it.

qualitylawnmanagement
03-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Go buy a case of oil. I like using Quaker state oil. On spreader I use a push one from earth way 100lb Cost you around $420 for it but nice unit.

westwind
03-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Lesco spreaders, mobil oil, and i would go local for your uniforms. Cost may be a little more, but you can change, order, and create a new contact a lot easier.

Signature Landscaping1
03-06-2006, 06:56 PM
yea i want to use quaker state, and i dont want to spend $400 on a spreader, im gunna go with earthway, i only need it on two accounts i picked up a small commercial so ill need it. for the shirts local is the best, i know the guys over at the store, and there know for thier quality work so ill go with them.

mow king
03-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Sure you shouldn't just sub out those 2 accounts? Your age coupled with a commercial account and not being a certified applicator could spell disaster.

jsbmaine
03-06-2006, 07:49 PM
What do you mean by bulk oil? I buy my SAE 30 by the quart, and all the trucks and big machines get John Deere Torq Guard 15w40 diesel oil, which I get in 55 gal drums. JD Hydraulic oil in 55 gal drums, gear oil in 5 gal pail with a hand pump on it.

I think for the equipment you have buying the oil by the case would be easiest. It's a pain using the drums, and you need a forklift to get them off the truck.....

but, you could buy it in 5 gal pails and use a pump. I don't know that there is a lot of $ savings that way, but it's nice to have a hose to put the oil where you want it.

As for spreaders, I have a vicon 3pt hitch that holds about 3/4 ton, and an old pull behind that holds 10 tons.... however it is not nearly as accurate. This past year I mostly sprayed a 30% nitrogen solution, so I did it with a 500gal truck mounted sprayer.

Depending on how much you are expanding your business, all this may be too large for you.

Jeff

jsbmaine
03-06-2006, 07:51 PM
I want to buy my oil in bulk, should i buy quaker state or what brands of oil do you guys use??

except for the really cheap wal mart suff, oil is pretty much oil, especially the single grade stuff most small engines use. (SAE 30) i think you can shop for price and be pretty safe here.

Daner
03-06-2006, 08:00 PM
except for the really cheap wal mart suff, oil is pretty much oil, especially the single grade stuff most small engines use. (SAE 30) i think you can shop for price and be pretty safe here.
I agree Stick with the small jugs of oil the 5 gal pails and the drums can get messy and heavy:weightlifter: ....Good luck

Signature Landscaping1
03-06-2006, 08:11 PM
there not really commercial, its the front of our neighborhood, which is 1/2 acre of mowing, taking care of shrubs/pruning, weeding, eding mulching etc..

Signature Landscaping1
03-06-2006, 08:12 PM
im not sure bout the fertilizing, hell prob just hire seascape or something like that. So basically, ill deffinatly buy a case of oil, probly quaker cuz ive used it before.