PDA

View Full Version : Large commercial bid

The Turfinator
03-06-2006, 03:53 PM
I put a bid on a community of 50 /two unit condos and hope my pricing is fair. Most of my work up until now has been residential. I measured 250k Sq. Ft. and gave them a price of $875. per app. $1750. grub and $2187. for aeration. I measured the entrance and any large areas separate then figured a 3000 sq. ft. average lawn per condo and multiplied by the number of condos. Before faxing the quote to the property manager I told her that I could lower my price to meet my competition within reason and she seemed OK with that. I am now waiting to hear back from her. What do you think my next step should be? Any creative ideas to secure the deal?
Thanks in advance!
Dave

GrazerZ
03-06-2006, 08:58 PM
My first thought when I read your post was, why would you ever say you could lower your price. If you can do it for less than you should charge less. never tell someone that. You could let them know that you are willing to work with their budget if you need to, which is not the same.
The prices seem fine. I'm not a fan of the guesstamite lawn measuring. We measure it all by hand. weather it 15,000 sq ft or 10 acres.
I would offer a call in about a week to see if you could answer any questions that they may have. But do not appear desperate no matter how much you could use the account. Hope this helps.

turf hokie
03-07-2006, 09:24 AM
My first thought when I read your post was, why would you ever say you could lower your price. If you can do it for less than you should charge less. never tell someone that. You could let them know that you are willing to work with their budget if you need to, which is not the same.
The prices seem fine. I'm not a fan of the guesstamite lawn measuring. We measure it all by hand. weather it 15,000 sq ft or 10 acres.
I would offer a call in about a week to see if you could answer any questions that they may have. But do not appear desperate no matter how much you could use the account. Hope this helps.

I agree with GrazerZ, your numbers may be a little low for my area. But when dealing with commercial or HOA properties. I give my price and then tell them if it does not fit into their budget we can adjust the program to fit the budget. That means if they want a lower price they get a cheaper service as well. I never tell them that I can meet the competitions price -- why not?? -- because they never compare apples to apples and my program usually includes more than the competition

The Turfinator
03-07-2006, 11:36 AM
You guys are right! I guess I'm being to eager to land my first large account. I always stand behind my pricing on residential and use the selling points of personal service and quality products. I should be doing the same with commercial. They said they only want 3 or 4 apps, so I will offer them a discount on 5 or 6 apps. and stand firm with my 3 or 4 app pricing.
Thanks

cwlawley
03-07-2006, 12:23 PM
It's alright. I think 98.9% of all business owners lowballed there first business estimate just to get it. If they say they didn't they're lying.

turf hokie
03-07-2006, 12:41 PM
It's alright. I think 98.9% of all business owners lowballed there first business estimate just to get it. If they say they didn't they're lying.

I see a typo, I think you meant 99.8%. Heck, I probably still do it without even realizing it if I know I'm up against someone I don't like or I really want the job.;)

cwlawley
03-07-2006, 05:33 PM
^ You're right. Me too. I think it takes several years to get good at it and even more to be in a position where you don't need to win every bid you have.

somo1
03-07-2006, 06:17 PM
I read a quote once. "If you are closing 98% of your bids, there is something wrong and your bidding too cheap". Why lower a bid, it cost the same amount per thousand/sq. ft. to treat any size area. The only difference is driving time. I personnally would much rather have 200 small accounts then 2 big ones. When you go back to do service calls your not making any money and they take too long. If the condos management contacted you for a bid, you must consider that they are unhappy with who is treating it now! Why lower your bid to compete when you will probably make the same mistakes that they are. You don't have the time or are making enough money to spend the required time on the property to do a good job. Charge more and spend more quality time on each property=better results.