PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Equipment

erhager
03-06-2006, 05:51 PM
What equipment did you guys start the business with?

Palmer'sLS
03-06-2006, 06:05 PM
i started with a 42" lt1000 craftsman mower, craftman trimmer, and a h.h. craftsman blower. this year i will be working with some far better equipment....commercial equipment is a wonderful thing

qualitylawnmanagement
03-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Don't go and buy a $12,000 rider if you don't know if you will have the money to pay for it at the end of season. Depends if your doing small properties or big properties. I would go with a 36in hydro walk behind and a if you know you will have money for a bigger ztr I would go to a 60in.

qualitylawnmanagement
03-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Also if your on a tight budget, and want good commercial equipment go look at lesco your able to get a 60in and a 36in hydro walk behind for just over $9000.00.

MysticLandscape
03-06-2006, 06:22 PM
I started with a 36in encore, tanaka 7600 (2) and tanaka tbc 230 (2) also a enclosed trailer and a f250.

Tom c.
03-06-2006, 07:02 PM
What size gates? measure all the gates on the accts you are going to cut. That will tell you what to buy, I carry a 21 in toro and a 36 in Bobcat ,Echo trimmer and blower. As you get larger pieces of property to do then get into the larger toys!!!Look for leftovers from last year for a good deal.

markuscb
03-06-2006, 07:22 PM
I use Wright Standers (52") and have a Ferris 36" and 32" for small gates.

plantzpropertymanagement
03-06-2006, 09:53 PM
i started with a cubcadet ztr 42inch and i still use it its small which i like cause i can get in a lot of small spots its not the best mower but it gets the job done especially for someone just starting out it runs for like 2500.

cwlawley
03-06-2006, 10:08 PM
I started with a Murrary 42" lawn tractor and a homelite weedeater and backpack blower. It got me started. Now I have a 48" Exmark, paid for, Stihl trimmers, Husquavarna Blowers, Etc.

CAG
03-06-2006, 10:52 PM
I started with a 48 scag wb and a 48 scag ztr with collection system. wb cost $800 , ztr $3400 six years later still have them and the wb never had a major repair and very very little repairs on the ztr. Over the past years I will say i have upgraded and don't use them as much but still they do cut a couple accounts weekly. The money these machines have made me is ridiculous and whats really funny is I could sell them tomorrow for the same price i bought them for..The wb I could probably sell for more!! I almost forgot to add that the $800 for the wb included 4 lawn accounts, 3 I still have. If your planning for your business to grow then buy stuff that you grow into not grow out of..

mike lane lawn care
03-06-2006, 11:11 PM
started last year, LOL. useda push MTD mower and an MTD yard machines tractor. this year i went with a new simplicity broadmoor and still have the MTD push, maybe in a couple of years i will be picking up some real commercial equipment

daveintoledo
03-07-2006, 12:25 AM
if you made it through your first year you didnt have very meany customers..... machines are rated by hours of service.... most homeowner machines are rated at around 100 hours..... mowing 20 hours a week that is little more then a few monthes...

please search for the threat " if i could start over what would i do different" the most common ansewer is " i would have not wasted money on homeowners equipment... it COST more money in the long run....

ask some of the older people who have been in busines longer....:)

start with what you have, and upgrade quickly...

besides, there is no way you can compare the way a yard looks cut with a professional mower vs a homeowners mower , you can see the difference a mile away......

beautifullawns
03-07-2006, 07:42 AM
36" walkbehind, 2 redmax trimmers, redmax 7001 backpack blower, trailer, and truck. Bare essentials to start. It wasn't a big investment but started us out right.

Splicer
03-07-2006, 08:50 AM
50" Garden Tractor w/20HP Kohler PRO V-Twin, 30" Rear Engine Riding mower w/Tecumsah 10hp, Ryobi 2 cyle split shaft trimmer, Ryobi 4 cycle split shaft trimmer, Lawn roller, plug aerator, tiller, blow/vac, dozer blade, 1 ton bucket van, borrowed trailer.

Don't let Dave get you down. These machines are built to withstand a helluva lot ,ore than 100 hours. The GT I just got not long ago but the 30" RER I have had for years and just beat the snot out of it and it is still running just fine. And that is after constant abuse cutting 3 properties weekly BEFORE I tought about making a living with it. Take care of the equipment, ANY equipment and it will take care of you.:clapping:

daveintoledo
03-07-2006, 09:23 AM
50"
Don't let Dave get you down. These machines are built to withstand a helluva lot ,ore than 100 hours. The GT I just got not long ago but the 30" RER I have had for years and just beat the snot out of it and it is still running just fine. And that is after constant abuse cutting 3 properties weekly BEFORE I tought about making a living with it. Take care of the equipment, ANY equipment and it will take care of you.:clapping:

if you dont beleive me, ask some peole who have been at this 20 years... i see you have 0 years of experiene..... so you will learn///

if you ever mow 40 hours a week , it wont last long.... good luck....

Signature Landscaping1
03-07-2006, 09:31 AM
A nice 36'' w/b should do it for you, and maybe echo, or redmax handhelds

howardsells2000
03-07-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm starting with a Snapper 21" Commercial, a 36" Ferris WB and a Ferris 52" WB.

jarroo's lawncare
03-07-2006, 01:54 PM
i started with a snapper 28" rider, murray 21" and a ryobi trimmer. also had a 4x6 trailer to pull it.

All_Clear
03-07-2006, 03:06 PM
I started with scissors, a level and lots of time :laugh:

start with what you have, and upgrade quickly...

besides, there is no way you can compare the way a yard looks cut with a professional mower vs a homeowners mower , you can see the difference a mile away......

I agree with Dave... Start with what you can afford or already have and upgrade ASAP!!!

This is good advise, truly there's no reason to argue about it.

Will a craftsman, Murry, Mtd, ect... mow over 100 hrs... Yes more then likely
Will it mow for years? Yes quiet possibly
Will it give a professional cut... No. But it will cut the grass, but the two are uncompairable!!!
Will you have to maintain it more then normal... You can count on it!!!

If you care about your business and your customers, you'll upgrade as soon as your able... otherwise, your just another guy chasing a mower for money!!!

All_Clear

rfed32
03-07-2006, 05:05 PM
i started with an48'' 1980's keyys and a 1992 mini-van (which was my dads so i used it on the weekends) later that year i got my suv runnin (ford explorer 1994) and bought a trailer for 250, put 250 into it...then worked for a 60'' rider that was junk when the keys craped out on me...ran that set up for another year...now im runnin that same trailer, just picked up another used trailer (freebie) i have a 1996 s10 4x4 a 36'' gravely 2005 and some junk weed wacker and junk blower...i also have used stuff that ive had layin around my house...bought a sears tiller from the guy next door for 25 bucks and fixed it runs great now...snow blower 35bucks yard sale fixed it runs good...plow 700 bucks junk didnt fix it but works good

start with what u can afford...if u can fix things its even better b.c u can get broken things cheap...but the sayin u have to spend money to make it is true but the thing sales men dont understand is...they think u have to spend lots of money to make it, but u can spend little money and make just as much...thats what i did and right now im happy with where im at...if u dont have a limit go balls to the walls if u do that keep it simple

The Friendly Green
04-06-2006, 07:42 PM
This is what I started with, mind you I'm doing more of the lawn care side. Grab a few mowers from your local store (make sure they have a warranty because they'll be toast by the end of the year) and you're good to go. Then purchase as you need. If you get an acre or so client, pick up a bigger mower. But for now, just keep it basic, keep your costs down.

blakeg314
04-06-2006, 07:52 PM
dont go out and buy cheap equipment.. it will fall apart on you fast it is not worth it go with redmax or stihl handhelds.. 36 or 48 wb sounds goot to me to start of with