PDA

View Full Version : 86 Chevy cuts off

Shay
04-23-2001, 01:10 PM
I have an 86 Silverado that just cuts off on me. When I try to start it back up it just turns over and over. I can come back later and it usually starts right up. I have replaced the distributor cap, coil, rotor button, and module(under the rotor button). The plugs have about 1500 miles on them.
What gives???? I'm on the verge of putting this thing in the river.

85w/350
04-23-2001, 01:55 PM
You said it turns over later on? does it actually run later on? If not you might have your plugs in the wrong firing order. Other than that sounds like either carb problems specifically the choke. Or you arent getting gas to to the carb for one reason or another. Have you changed the fuel filter lately? Your post is a bit sketchy fill in with more details like the engine we are dealing with...aftermarket carb? Mods?

Shay
04-23-2001, 07:52 PM
It has a stock 305. No after market parts. I bought it used about 2 years ago. It's been fine until recently. I know it's getting gas because I can see it spray into the carb from under the hood. Would choke problems cause it to cut off on me while I'm driving? If so, how can I check the choke?
My choke light was coming on for awhile, but I unplugged it and then plugged it back in and it stayed off. However, when it cut off on me today there was no choke light or warning whatsoever.
It cut off on me today and wouldn't start back up. I came back about 3 hours later and it cranked right up and I drove it home.
I'm not even close to being a mechanic, sorry if I sound a little elementary. Thanks all.

[Edited by Shay on 04-23-2001 at 07:54 PM]

04-23-2001, 08:27 PM
Next time it cuts out on you, right away check to see if the choke is closed - pull the air cleaner cover off & look right into the carb. With the engine warm, the choke is not needed and if it comes on, the mixture is too rich and the engine dies. Once the engine cools off (the 3 hours you referred to in your post) it will start back up.

Just one idea - hope it helps.

Dave1250
04-23-2001, 09:05 PM
I`m not sure but if you have fuel injection the fuel pump might be going . My truck would run fine every once in a while I would start it and it would stall out have to let it sit awhile then it would start up. The dealer could not find the problem untill theytried everything eles . Just a guess good luck

85w/350
04-23-2001, 09:57 PM
dave 1250 also has another good point regardless of if its fuel injected or not because with a 305 in an 86 Silverado chances are more than not that its a carb engine...you still may change the fuel pump they are really cheap at any auto parts store and can be changed by just about anyone on an old chevy :) Just another thought.....