PDA

View Full Version : Mini ex: new or used

Wing 97
03-06-2006, 08:35 PM
I'm about to purchase a mini excavator and have been given a choice between a new machine for 40500 and a used 05 machine for 33400. The used machine is a rental with 275 hrs and looks to be in new condition and still has two months of warrantee left. I know I am going to buy one or the other just don't know if it is worth it to go new. I don't want to say what brand it is(afraid Iwill get a biased opinion)but I will say it is a 7000lb machine. Any thoughts would be appriciated since there seems to be alot of knowledge floating around here.

ToroLandscaper
03-06-2006, 08:49 PM
tell us the brand name so we can tell you if it is a good price or not becouse alot of times brands vary in prices....with out knowing anything else i would say go with the 05 used one with only 275....the only thing is go over it VERY carefully becouse ALOT of times rental machines have been beatin

Dirty Water
03-06-2006, 08:54 PM
How many months of warantee do you get on the new one?

qps
03-06-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm about to purchase a mini excavator and have been given a choice between a new machine for 40500 and a used 05 machine for 33400. The used machine is a rental with 275 hrs and looks to be in new condition and still has two months of warrantee left. I know I am going to buy one or the other just don't know if it is worth it to go new. I don't want to say what brand it is(afraid Iwill get a biased opinion)but I will say it is a 7000lb machine. Any thoughts would be appriciated since there seems to be alot of knowledge floating around here.

Won't name a brand:dizzy: ....o.k.. your paying to much....you gotta look past the paint color lovers...or haters....gather your info and make a decision...

qps
03-06-2006, 09:03 PM
How many months of warantee do you get on the new one?

12 months I think..

Wing 97
03-06-2006, 09:08 PM
OK it is a bobcat 331 cab, heat, AC, and 24 inch digging bucket. The dealer is close and have other purchases there. Tried the machine today seems to be tight and doesn't appear to be abused.

thepawnshop
03-06-2006, 09:30 PM
I have a JD 35D for sale! Just kidding...kind of. Gettin ready to list mine before the week is out. I think a used machine is a good deal when you find a machine that hasn't been abused...you just never know what the previous owner did with it. Since you are getting it from a reputable dealer (I assume), you should be OK...plus 275 hours is nothing!

Scag48
03-06-2006, 09:33 PM
If you're buying from a respectable dealer, I say go for the used piece and save yourself some money. Nothing wrong with used iron.

Wing 97
03-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Just needed to be pushed one way or the other. The intial intent was to buy used but when the dealer started to work the numbers for new it started to get a little fuzzy.

Scag48
03-06-2006, 09:51 PM
If the price was within $3-4K for new vs. used, I'd definately go new. The added warranty, no worries about the history of the machine, and the interest rates are usually a little better when you buy new. Other than that, used is just fine if everything checks out fine.

qps
03-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Just needed to be pushed one way or the other. The intial intent was to buy used but when the dealer started to work the numbers for new it started to get a little fuzzy.

just my opinion, I would rather buy new if possible......but 275 hrs is very low and you shouldn't have any issue's...good luck...

Wing 97
03-06-2006, 10:07 PM
You are correct Scag48 but the difference in intrest rates between is 1.5% infavor of the new machine, not enough to sway me toward new. Do the prices sound reasonable. Unfortunately all three dealerships around me are owned by the same guy and they have to sell to there region. Soit is not possible to price shop in my area apples for apples.

qps
03-06-2006, 10:29 PM
You are correct Scag48 but the difference in intrest rates between is 1.5% infavor of the new machine, not enough to sway me toward new. Do the prices sound reasonable. Unfortunately all three dealerships around me are owned by the same guy and they have to sell to there region. Soit is not possible to price shop in my area apples for apples.

Baloney...don't get caught up in the only one dealer in the area scam...takeuchi tried the same thing and I ended up getting a quote almost 11K cheaper....do your homework...good luck:)

Scag48
03-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Yeah I wouldn't believe that crap either. All the Cat dealerships in our state are owned by the same parent company and you'd be surprised at how much prices differ in varying regions. I do believe the price on the used piece is on par, I would try to negotiate cheaper just for the hell of it, but it's not too far off.