PDA

View Full Version : concrete edging

plantzpropertymanagement
03-06-2006, 08:18 PM
What do you guy's think about concrete edging? is it worth getting into and also how easy is the process?

JKOOPERS
03-06-2006, 08:50 PM
i know there is a big demand for it once people start a co in an area try this thread http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111

daveintoledo
03-06-2006, 11:29 PM
alot of the work is ment for southen states, it doesnt seem to last up north...no personal experience, just read from posters on hear there have been some problems....

PMLAWN
03-07-2006, 07:00 AM
There is a concrete guy in our hood that does not do it any more because he said there is no money left in the business. Too many guys out there doing it for next to nothing. His exact words were "Us concrete guys that make real money will let all you lawn jockeys that don't know how to price work, do the curbing from now on"
I laughed with him but he is right, It is all being done by the fly by nighters for very little money. I would do a lot of research in YOUR area before investing 10K in a set up. Doing it part time as an add-on and fighting low rates makes ROI hard to achieve.

ozd12005
03-07-2006, 09:58 PM
After being in the Home Improvement business for 17 years and 1000's of concrete jobs later I have hung up my concrete tools and will no longer be doing much of it at all. Not only cuz my knees say give it up lol but have seen a huge increase in not only in the cost of concrete (ozinga, prairie, willie) but forms, wire mesh, rebar, lime stone etc.

As for the curbs I have seen a few handfuls of tinted and stamped landscape curbs done in the area and was amazed at how many cracks are already present in the newly poured curbs. (100% assured they dont have the proper base ) IMO the cost of the material would be about 3 times the amount as to the cost of a 3 high retaining wall

Runner
03-07-2006, 10:24 PM
It is not for us up here in the northern states. If we spent the money putting it in, it would be all busted up by the next late spring. This stuff is just not meant for ground heaving.

Mr. Vern
04-17-2006, 01:03 AM
It is a tremendous profit center for us. You really need to do the market research in your area, but here where we are it is a big money maker. If it's installed correctly it will last indefinitely (we don't have any freeze thaw to deal with). I have a crew dedicated to doing it full time and they are backlogged for 4 weeks right now. If you get into it in a good market, it very well could take over your business. The real drawback for me is that it takes several bids to keep a crew busy for a day. We can knock out anywhere from 2 to 4 jobs a day and so our estimator has to be running pretty hard to keep the work in front of the crew. I would seriously consider it. and do the research in your local market to make sure it will support it. I have noticed 2 marketing challenges for the product; either the market is saturated, or the product is not well known so you have to spend a lot of time educating the public. I am fortunate in that I was able to buy out an existing company with all of the equipment and employees and just add it to my company. The previous owner has been doing it in our area for 10 years so the market is very aware of the product but not saturated with competitors. Do your homework and give it some serious consideration, there are potentially larger profits and a steady revenue stream.