PDA

View Full Version : is this a good price for 15 acre apartment complex

JAX LANDSCAPING
03-06-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm getting 8 payments at $1900 a month for 7 months of work and that includes cutting and trimming the grass no edging.then trimming bushes,trees and shrubs twice a year and spring and fall cleanups which there is not alot to cleanup.tell me what you guys think about it.

Thanks Mike

jtkplc
03-06-2006, 10:38 PM
I cut a 46 unit condo complex and I get about that amount of money per season for strictly mowing. I'm not sure about the acreage, but it's over 10. I would say you are charging a decent price. Also remember prices vary with location.

Killswitch
03-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Too low......Originally I posted and thought it was 7 acres....not 15!

Yikes bro.....no wonder you got the job.

Maybe Im wrong but thats a pretty low hourly rate. Maybe it works for you but Id like to see a little better price.

GStover
03-06-2006, 10:50 PM
What do you mean by "no edging...?"

Killswitch
03-06-2006, 10:52 PM
eeeks. 35 an acre?

:dizzy:

Runner
03-06-2006, 11:12 PM
WOW!!! THAT is LOW! This is just another prime example of where "big" numbers can sound good on paper, but when you ration it out,...it is squat. Let's do this....
We have 8 payments of $1900 which gives us $15,200. Now,...we divide that out over 30 mowings. That gives us $506 per mowing. Divided out over 15 acres, this is $33.73 per acre. NOW, we get to do our free shrub trimming, our Spring clean up as a courtesy, and let's not forget out complimentary fall cleanup - which by the way, WILL be costing fuel, labor, and many other expenses, as well. By the time this mowing is done, the trimming is performed, and all the hard surfaces are blown off, the employees will be making much more than the company will. As a matter of fact, by the time you figure up wear and tear on the equipment, fuel, insurance, administrative costs, and taxes, I think I'D be re-considering this one. 16 grand does NOT equal 16 grand. After all expenses, there is nothing left, and this is time that could be spent somewhere else MAKING money.

samk
03-06-2006, 11:18 PM
way to low for mowing and trimming never mind shrub care and cleanups. should be somewhere around 700.00 to 1100.00 a week. with 700 still being low but in the ballpark.

SKAT LAWN
03-07-2006, 12:22 AM
$15,200 more than you had. Sacrifice is not good in this business, unless you come out on top soon.

LwnmwrMan22
03-07-2006, 12:51 AM
I'm getting 8 payments at $1900 a month for 7 months of work and that includes cutting and trimming the grass no edging.then trimming bushes,trees and shrubs twice a year and spring and fall cleanups which there is not alot to cleanup.tell me what you guys think about it.

Thanks Mike

Are you talking about 15 acres total?? Or 15 acres of turf to maintain??

Are there alot of sidewalks through the turf areas?? Or very few??

How many shrubs are there??? Are the trees mature?? Or newly planted??

It could be a decent price, it could be low.

It's going to depend on the location and how smart your employees are as to whether you can make money or not.

I say this, because I can mow a Wal-Mart that I've got all year and not take out the blower to clean things up. If I fall behind, and my dad helps me, I've got to blow everything off, because he doesn't pay attention to where the grass clippings are going.

If you've got smaller areas, it'd probably pay to invest in an operator controlled discharge chute, if you haven't already.

If you could save yourself an hour or two each week without having to blow grass back off of the hard surfaces, back into the turf, it would save you time and money.

As I said, it could be a fair price, depending on certain situations, but it could also be quite low.

JKOOPERS
03-07-2006, 01:04 AM
dont forget about picking up trash and fixing flats tires at the complex. good luck with that one :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

CAG
03-07-2006, 02:54 AM
i would say typically your are way low their is a lot of factors of course to consider. If you were getting 10k for mowing for the year you better be out their in a couple hours with a of couple guys.. then the remaining 5k for clean up and shrub trimming?? If their is not a lot of grass then their is a lot of parking lots(lots of sweeping), and if their is not a lot of parking, then their is a lot of mulch beds with shrubs(lots of trimming), and i yet to see a 15 acre complex that doesn't get a lot of leaves.. My advice would be to bite the bullet do the best job you guys could and hope to get a lot more next year!!

Lwnmwrman22 If it takes him a hour or two just to blow off the walks he is in big trouble!!!

qps
03-07-2006, 08:01 AM

Thanks Mike

I'm going to say this account may cost your money, or in a few months into the season you'll want to walk away from it.....we cut a 10-12 acre condo complex for 1400.00 a cut....:dizzy:

YGWBill
03-07-2006, 02:45 PM
just got 3acre mall to mowe and trim shurbs for just a little over 14,000

JAX LANDSCAPING
03-16-2006, 10:25 PM
thanks to all that have responded,sorry i didnot get back sooner .you guys are right but i didn't mention that the job was only 5 minutes from my shop and it one of them low income property housing and to me its a start being that its my first year in buisness formyself.but next year it will go up about 100-300 more a month.Thanks again for the responses Mike.

CAG
03-17-2006, 02:41 AM
I wouldn't assume that you have to sell yourself short because its a low income property.. I got really good money for a couple years doing some projects because some people don't feel comfortable working in those areas and no one was bidding them..