PDA

View Full Version : Sprayers for herbicide control

mattingly
04-11-2000, 09:05 PM
hey guys and gals,<br>I was wondering if any of you young inventors and experienced people know what I can do to treat large areas of lawn without purchasing a large tank sprayer? I don't want to put up this larger initial investment this year but, I do have one client that wants me to roundup about an acre to acre and a half. What can I use, if anything that will be effective and not take me four hours? Another question would be how can I apply my post emergents? Would a granular be fine? Does it work as well? I think lesco sales a granular with momentum on it. Will this do the trick? I plan on developing a better more efficient spraying system next year but I don't want to buy something expensive this year. What are your thoughts on these topics?<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY

Lazer
04-11-2000, 09:21 PM
Don't use granular for broadleaf weed control.<p>For broadleaf: Use a M60 Spray Kit from Perma-Green (www.ride-onspreader.com) for 350.00. Works great for fertilizing and spraying broadleafs at the same time, or each independently.<p>For Round-Up: Since you won't be treating 65M of Round-Up often, I would back-pack this area.<br>

steven Bousquet
04-11-2000, 09:46 PM
hose end sprayerby orthro $15

Barkleymut
04-11-2000, 09:51 PM
Use a backpack sprayer and if using the customers hose to refill is out of the question use a 55 gallon Rubbermaid trash can as your water source. Rinse it out well before you leave home and then fill it half full. Use a 2 liter bottle or milk jug to refill your sprayer. This is what I do when I am spraying several homes in one day.

cantoo
04-11-2000, 11:36 PM
I have lots of sprayers, I never use two different chemicals in the same sprayer no matter how good a job you do cleaning you might still have some residue left behind. Get a back pack sprayer for the round up and another one for broad leaf control. I also have a 30 gal sprayer with 10' booms that I made to fit on my Walker that I use for broad leaf control.

DTM65
04-12-2000, 02:56 PM
I don't know what you consider a big investment. I purchased a boom sprayer I can pull behind my mower. 25 gal tank, 12 V pump, 3 nozzle boom, $250. Made by Brinly Hardy. I thought it was pretty cheap. Time=money.<br><p>----------<br>D. Tom<br>

mattingly
04-13-2000, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys,<br>Hey Lazer, does the spray kit really work well? What are your experiences with it?<p>I can't get a boom sprayer because I don't have a riding mower right now.<p>Would it really work to use ortho hose end spray kit? Attach the thing directly to the hose and put in the amount of Roundup you need then go at it?<p>TIA<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY

DTM65
04-13-2000, 01:12 PM
I have used a hose end sprayer with Round-up to kill off my yard and around 1000 feet of fence row brambles. Worked pretty good.<p>----------<br>D. Tom<br>

Lazer
04-13-2000, 04:34 PM
The M60 Spray Kit attaches to any square hopper spreader allowing you to spray weeds as the same time you're fertilizing.<p>I absolutely love 'em and would not make broadleaf hericide treatments without them.

lawrence stone
04-13-2000, 07:14 PM
Matt wrote:<p>&gt;I can't get a boom sprayer because I don't have a riding mower right now.<p>Buy a 15 gal 12vt sprayer from Northern tool<br>mount it to a some plywood then mount it<br>to whatever you got. Add a y valve and make your own boom from pvc.<p>

vegomatic40
11-18-2001, 09:17 AM
Not so sure about the "hose-end sprayer" idea. You would need a lot of garden hose and even more water pressure to reach a property of that size. I would stick with the backpack sprayer for both the broadleaf and veg. kill app's. The rinsing for getting the Roundup out of the tank is no big deal. Just run clean water through the tank 2-3 times and after, use a product like Lescol to clean up any possible residue. Spray all of the rinse tanks on the property you are trying to kill (thus avoiding any tree-hugger-liberal-save-the-planet issues). Residue should be no problem since it requires a fairly large concentration of Roundup to do the job (min. of 3oz/gal)

mowerman90
11-18-2001, 11:12 AM
Go to Home Cheapo and get yourself a Solo backpack to spray your 1 1/2 acre property. You will pay for it from the profit you get spraying the Roundup. Around here the going price for spraying roundup on yards is .02 per sq ft. You can use the backpack for all your spraying needs if you properly maintain and rinse it throughly after each use. Or better still, make it a dedicated sprayer, and keep it filled with roundup to carry on your trailer to do spot spraying of beds on your mowing route

Dochere
11-18-2001, 09:51 PM
Echo and solo both have a halfway decent backpack sprayer. You can get them at home depot and off ebay for around 80-100 bucks. Get a 5 gal. unit if possible(you will find 5-4-3 gal units). Pre level, 5 gal mixes (or your size req.), and carry them with U, use a garden hose or spicket to fill your tank.

keifer
11-18-2001, 10:53 PM
I dont know about roundup but primetol has a pellet form of there chemical you can run threw your spreder just have to wait for the rain after that. P.S I dont know if i spelled primetol right.