PDA

View Full Version : Do you leave any tools at job site at nite?

mrusk
03-07-2006, 12:25 AM
I was wondering if you guys left any tools at your job sites at night. Last year i often found my self leaving wheel barrels, screeds, screed rails, shovels and rake behind almost always. I work in decent areas and never had anything stolen.
Do you guys take everything home at night?

I'm thinking of setting of my 18' enclosed trailer this year to hold all my hardscapes stuff since its only used for mowing on fridays. I would still proably tow it home every night. I'd be to afraid to leave it at the job site and have everything i own stolen in 1 night.

Green-Pro
03-07-2006, 01:03 AM
I've left the plate compactor, Target diamond blade saw, shovels, hand tools, tractor, radio, etc. I've never had a bit of trouble, we don't experience the crime larger metro areas seem to IMO.
Last job I was on there was a stone mason, had his Target saw also, there were two that were left there overnight for about a week straight, no problems.

sheshovel
03-07-2006, 01:58 AM
I leave all mt tools on the job tell I am done unless I need them some where else..I do pick them all up every day and put them in a safe place if I can..behind the shed,,in the clients garage..in the back yard,where ever they are out of the way so somebody can't just swing by and throw them in their truck.Sometimes I will lay them all down throw a tarp over them then lay my big wheelbarrow upside down on top.

olderthandirt
03-07-2006, 02:06 AM
I've left many things. just curl the bucket over them and never had trouble

nocutting
03-07-2006, 02:37 AM
I was wondering if you guys left any tools at your job sites at night. Last year i often found my self leaving wheel barrels, screeds, screed rails, shovels and rake behind almost always. I work in decent areas and never had anything stolen.
Do you guys take everything home at night?

I'm thinking of setting of my 18' enclosed trailer this year to hold all my hardscapes stuff since its only used for mowing on fridays. I would still proably tow it home every night. I'd be to afraid to leave it at the job site and have everything i own stolen in 1 night.
Wheel barrows, shovels, rakes, pitch-forks,scoops, ladders, but no power tools and usally outa sight and under wraps..........would never leave a trailer, chipper or other hard to replace item at a customers property for any length of time:headphones: :usflag:

UNISCAPER
03-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Anything we need on the job is usually left inside of a big Jobbox which is locked and we move it with a CAT. When we are done at night the bucket is set over the tool box and rests on it. Too many Juan Valdezes that could'nt make any money selling coffee decided toi illegally enter our country and make thier fortune in the contracting business.

bigviclbi
03-07-2006, 06:39 PM
I leave things all the time but try to hide them.

DUSTYCEDAR
03-07-2006, 06:46 PM
nope take it all with me

mbella
03-07-2006, 07:29 PM
We leave everything we can on site.

Tim Wright
03-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Take it with me.

As soon as I am done paying off my current new equipment, I am planning on acquiring a humongo enclosed trailer and turning it into a billboard.

It will still all come home with me.

Tim

NNJLandman
03-07-2006, 08:37 PM
We leave everything on site, skidsteers, kubotas, excavators, hand tools, compactors, we leaves just about everything on landscape jobs except for demo saws and our transit. We take the keys outta the machines one guy gets em, everything else is usually placed where it cant be seen from the street, even though you know everyone in the nieghborhood knows whats there, and the machines get lined up, and locked if they have doors, even though you know all the nieghborhood kids are all over em like a playground in mins.

Jeff

kris
03-07-2006, 10:15 PM
We usually leave hand tools, wheelbarrows , plate tampers and machines on site if it is residential, stone saws, lazer level& machine trailers get brought back to the shop.....Normally nothing gets left on commercial sites unless I have a real good feeling that it will be OK and that doesn't happen very often.

Its an interesting topic for me right now because we are putting two enclosed trailers together , each one loaded with all the regular used supplies and equipment needed for a crew.All the other crews will still use our crew cages in the shop with everything inside at night. If all goes well we will put some more on the road next year.
We plan on leaving them on the job-site most nights ...have to admit its a scary thought even with the security precautions we will have.

richallseasons
03-08-2006, 12:00 AM
i pack up everything that i would think twice about but i leave things like wheel barrow , shovel , rake , hose but dont like to leave things like compactor ,saws transit ect. expensive stuff ,you never know whos lurking around at night

Pro-Scapes
03-08-2006, 01:33 AM
It depends on what it is. If possible I will leave what I can. Especially if its in the country like alot of my work is. In town I wouldnt leave anything more than hand tools unless I had a good way to secure it. I have left trailers in town but they get the tounges locked down and only then If I can park it someplace out of the way.

CAG
03-08-2006, 03:30 PM
I have left my backhoe loader at a job a few times, but I found myself thinking about it all night.. The machine is insured but doesn't really help me take it off my mind..However I think its a bad idea for anyone to leave a machine somewhere for multiple days, it gives someone to much time to plan a theft. As for small stuff they have never been left on site because I'm sure they will grow legs!! I also use caution tape and stake everything out before we leave, and I'm not exactly sure why I don't see everyone in my area do this!!! It sucks and kills probably 20 min each day but I just feel like it has to be done, the homeowners probably appreciate a clean job site too..

kris
03-08-2006, 07:44 PM
I can relate to the losing sleep over machines left out ....of course they are insured but not something you want to happen.
Had a new foreman leave a couple wheelbarrows and all the hand tools on a commercial site last season without me knowing and of course they were all gone the next day ..:hammerhead: that hurts... its not something you put through insurance ... good 6-7 hundred worth of hand tools. Although not for that reason , I eventually fired him.

Your comment about a clean site is a good one ... It is one of the things most customers will complain about during a project.We get compliments all the time about how well the guys tidy up each night.

Dirty Water
03-08-2006, 09:01 PM
We leave our machines on site, all tools go back in the truck (utility bodys are great) every day.

Leave the keys in the machines too.

kris
03-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Leave the keys in the machines too.

Why would you do that?

Dirty Water
03-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Why would you do that?

Both of our machines (DW 410sx, and DW 3500) have unique kill switches... Our 3500 doesn't even have a key ignition anymore.

It took me around 5 minutes to start the 410 even when I knew how the first time I did (You have to find the kill switch with the directional lever, and its not marked)...I'm pretty certian that Little Timmy wouldn't be able to start it, and would give up if he tried.

POPO4995
03-08-2006, 11:28 PM
I dont leave anything behind unless a trailer is staying behind....in which case they have equipment cages that I can padlock. Of course all my trailers have coupler locks on them too:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cleancutccl
03-08-2006, 11:38 PM
I usually don't leave anything, especially my kubota. There are too many people around with kubotas (common key to all of them) that could walk over start it up in 2 seconds and leave with it. Not worth the chance.

cgland
03-08-2006, 11:41 PM
I leave the basic hand tools, screeds, barrows, Wacker, etc under tarp and the stuff like laser level, 4' level, saws, power tools get locked up in the hardscape trailer. I always lock up the skid steer, loader/hoe, etc and other machines and put the keys in the truck, then I take the truck to my shop, lock the truck in the shop, lock the shop, and lock the gate to the shop!:dizzy:
P.S. That last part was a joke!....................................I don't have a gate to the shop. LOL

Chris

mrusk
03-08-2006, 11:49 PM
I always take my wacker home with me. I couldn't imagine leaving it. Hell, if i leave it in my truck at night i chain it to my truck bed. This year i think i will set my enclosed trailer up as a hardscape trailer.

kris
03-09-2006, 06:48 AM
I usually don't leave anything, especially my kubota. There are too many people around with kubotas (common key to all of them) that could walk over start it up in 2 seconds and leave with it. Not worth the chance.

Bobcats are like that ... I took all the ignitions in and had them re keyed...very cheap, easy thing to do that gives you a little piece of mind. Pulling a fuse is also a easy extra thing to do.

cleancutccl
03-09-2006, 09:52 AM
Bobcats are like that ... I took all the ignitions in and had them re keyed...very cheap, easy thing to do that gives you a little piece of mind. Pulling a fuse is also a easy extra thing to do.

I remember reading something about people disabling their equipment if they had to leave it overnight. People pulled distributor caps, fuses, spark plugs, anything to make sure it was there the next day. Who would be able to rekey the ignition? My dealer perhaps?

Henry
03-09-2006, 09:56 AM
We use an enclosed trailer with a coupler lock and will park a machine in front of it just to make it harder.

kris
03-09-2006, 10:46 AM
I remember reading something about people disabling their equipment if they had to leave it overnight. People pulled distributor caps, fuses, spark plugs, anything to make sure it was there the next day. Who would be able to rekey the ignition? My dealer perhaps?

Any key cutting guy ...just take the ignition out and bring it to them.

Henry
03-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Last fall I had a locksmith come to a jobsite and make a key to fit the ignition on my mini-x. It took him about 2 hrs and the key looks nothing like the original, but it works. If they have time and really want it a crook will get your machine no matter what ignition you have.

MarcusLndscp
03-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Alot of new machines now are computerized and don't even us a key. Instead you have a personal access code that is required to start the machine. You can also use numerous access codes for your different employees. This allows you to monitor the operation of that specific piece of equipment by each employee. This means no Joe Shmoe can just walk up and use your machine just because he has a cat key or a bobcat key

Doug Z.
03-10-2006, 03:57 PM
I used to leave stuff on job sites, but lost some wheelbarrels, and other hand tools. I still leave the tractor once in a while, but i dont like to, usually that goes back into the shed at night. Now I have an enclosed trailer. If im going to be on the job for a week or so, I'll park it in the customers yard. It's nice becuase its locked, and its a big billboard.

BCF
03-10-2006, 06:10 PM
I'll leave hand tools and cords, but always behind a shed or wall.