PDA

View Full Version : new gate lift assist....

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-07-2006, 12:17 PM
I bought this trailer specifically because I liked the idea of being able to put a lift assist right in the top tube of the rail.....and the trailer was the right size and config.

I just got the new lift assist installed. It has a 145# garage door spring inside the rail tube. The wheel is out of a 280 lbs. test pulley. Works great and take about 2/3 of the weight of the gate.....

NEPSJay
03-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Looks Great!!! well done job. one of these days im gonna make one for my trailer. Good luck and Happy Mowing!!

bugspit
03-07-2006, 04:28 PM
where did you get it?

NEUSWEDE
03-07-2006, 04:57 PM
I see springs on the hinges, those didn't work very well? Did you extend the gate at all?

I ask becuase i am looking at a trailer with hinge springs and seems to handle it well.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-08-2006, 09:44 AM
I built in myself........the hinge spring...in my opinion was little more than worthless...... and no I didn't extend the gate...

Derek

bugspit
03-08-2006, 11:12 AM
I built in myself........the hinge spring...in my opinion was little more than worthless...... and no I didn't extend the gate...

Derek
Can you provide a full length shot?

Lux Lawn
03-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Looks good,its nice to have...it beats lifting that heavy gate all day.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-08-2006, 01:11 PM
I can but there really is not much else to see......there is 1- 3/8" bolt through the tube vertically that goes through the far end of the garage door spring, then on the gate side of the spring the cable is clamped to the other end of the spring with U clamps. The cable comes out of the tube over the pulley wheel and runs to the eye bolt on the gate. I placed the eye bolt at the level where the gate meets the rail tube... very simple......and really pretty safe since the spring is encased in steel and the bolts at each end will stop it if it were to break......

I set it so there is no tension on the spring when the gate is up.

I will try to get the full length shot today......

D

cochino12
03-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Where can I find a pulley like that? I have all the rest of the pieces I need

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-08-2006, 01:46 PM
It is a pulley from the rope and chain area at Lowes. I had to grind the pin that held the wheel, out of the pulley case, then discard the pulley case. Then I drilled the hole in the wheel out alittle to get the bolt through. I also found the silver spacers in the hardware area at lowes. There is one on either side of the wheel on the bolt.

walker-talker
03-09-2006, 01:22 PM
How heavy are your springs? Being that low on your gate they would have to be strong to be able to assist lifting the gate.

I like your design more than mine. The end of my wire rope is much higher on my trailer gate. This inhibits me from putting the walk behind on the side of the gate to change the blades.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-10-2006, 08:39 AM
It is a 145# spring. The cable really doesn't have that much tension on it when it is down, but it make a huge difference when lifting...

Derek

takinglifeasy
02-11-2008, 10:59 PM
my wife got me a elegator for christmas. i'm impressed!!! she went to www.elegator.com