PDA

View Full Version : shopping for a walk-behind

hotpan
03-07-2006, 12:41 PM
I have been looking around for a 36" wb, but i go in these dealerships feeling quite dumb. What should I be looking for in a wb and what kind of questions should i be asking?

NEPSJay
03-07-2006, 01:49 PM
the main difference will be a belt/gear drive and the hydro drive. Hydro being the more reliable and more expensive. Another distinctive characteristic would be fixed deck and floating deck. Fixed deck has the front wheels attached to the front of the deck itself. Floating deck is a frame to the front wheels and the deck sort of hangs from the frame. Floating will be easier to change mowing height and will usually give a better quailty cut. BUT the differences on a 36" mower floating vs. fixed cut quailty will be almost non existant. Horsepower rating is always something you want to get the most of. In other words, pay the difference for a 19hp over the cheaper 17hp. you will be glad you did in the long run. Ask the dealer about service and parts availibility. Ask if they have loaners when yours is down. Hope this helps, Good Luck

hotpan
03-07-2006, 09:36 PM
thanks jay, that helped a lot, without this info, i would've gone with the 17hp :)

TURF DOCTOR
03-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Bottom line get 1 with a electric start. WHOO RAHH

LB1234
03-07-2006, 10:38 PM
So what if you don't know anything...you will find out real quick who the good dealers are and who the bad ones are. The dealers should be able to go over the equipment to you and explain the pros/cons of each for you. They'll even point out options that there mower has but others do not.

NEPSJay
03-07-2006, 11:31 PM
So what if you don't know anything...you will find out real quick who the good dealers are and who the bad ones are. The dealers should be able to go over the equipment to you and explain the pros/cons of each for you. They'll even point out options that there mower has but others do not.

Very good point....