PDA

View Full Version : hardscape markup

neighborguy
04-23-2001, 08:52 PM
I am fairly new to pricing my own jobs and am unsure how much markup on hardscapes (pavers, retaining wall block, etc.) is "normal". I know that there are many factors in pricing overall but I have heard a general rule of thumb is to just double the contractor price. This sounds a little out of whack to me. Any help would be appreciated.

Stonehenge
04-23-2001, 10:41 PM
That is out of whack.

run a search in this forum on pricing, and you'll get volumes of info on how to price hardscapes.

The main thing is to know your costs. Know how long it takes to do a job, and the labor, taxes, insurance, etc that goes into those costs. Know the material prices, delivery charges, material waste. Know your non-production costs, too. If you're new to this, know your rental costs, and the time spent going to and from rental yards. Figure out what you need to earn beyond those costs, and charge that amount.

I've never heard of a simple formula for hardscape pricing, and I think using one would be a mistake. And I can't give you a ballpark, other than to say, last year we did a paver project for $7.00/sqft, and we did one for $17.00/sqft. The rest fell between those two numbers (though I don't charge by the sqft, I charge by the project).

Charging double your material price will ensure that I will be at your auction to buy your equipment at a fraction of what you paid for it! :eek: