PDA

View Full Version : Tough decision!! Cub M48

ProStreetCamaro
03-07-2006, 03:45 PM
We have a cub dealer about 20 miles away that has an M48 with 24 hours on it because it was a demo unit. He said I can have it for $6,300 out the door. We have a cub dealer about 3 miles from our house and they will let me have a brand new 2006 model for $6,500 out the door. The demo is last years model which is a 2005. Its only 200 cheaper and has the full new warranty. Would you guys take the brand new one for $200 more and the dealer is only 3 miles from you or take the demo for $200 less and the dealer is 20 miles from you?

geogunn
03-07-2006, 04:11 PM
between those two, I would buy the unit from the dealer that I planned to have service the unit.

JMO.

GEO :waving:

Bay de Noc Lawn Car
03-07-2006, 04:32 PM
I would not pay more then $6000 for a basic 48" Z. Just because thats the going rate up here.

LwnmwrMan22
03-07-2006, 05:06 PM
If you usually deal with the dealer that's 3 miles from you, buy the one that's 3 miles from you.

If you usually deal with the dealer that's 20 miles from you, buy the one that's 20 miles from you, it's really that simple.

$200 is nothing when you break it down per hour for the life that you have the machine.

Say you work 40 hours / week, and you mow 25 weeks per year. That means that you're "mowing" 1000 hours / year. You may not actually be on the mower, you may be trimming, you may be driving to the next job, you may be doing paperwork, but, you have a mower to run a business, from 9-5, basically.

Now say you keep that mower for 4 years, or 4000 business hours. Now that mower is going to cost you $1.50, give or take a couple of cents, per hour of your business for 4 years.

That extra $200 will add on less than .01 per hour.

So, it goes back to you, which dealer do you like more??

ProStreetCamaro
03-07-2006, 06:23 PM
The thing is I have never dealt with either dealer. I dont know which one would have better service in the long run. I could spend an extra $1000 and get a Lazer from our normal dealer which has good service but I dont want to do that. I have a lazer already and its been a great mower but I want to change. I test drove the M48 demo and i fell in love with it. I have never seen a better built mower in my life and it is so easy to maintain.

Just to show you guys how we are not brand loyal I am going to add this pic of our rig here. It has a Gravely 34Z, Scag 36" WB and 48" Lazer Z HP. BTW the lazer you see in that pic has over 2,000 hours in the picture and as you can see it still looks almost brand new. We take great care of our equipment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/Mowers.jpg

rodfather
03-07-2006, 06:28 PM
It's a no brainer...spend the extra 2 bills.

LwnmwrMan22
03-07-2006, 06:34 PM
The thing is I have never dealt with either dealer. I dont know which one would have better service in the long run. I could spend an extra $1000 and get a Lazer from our normal dealer which has good service but I dont want to do that. I have a lazer already and its been a great mower but I want to change. I test drove the M48 demo and i fell in love with it. I have never seen a better built mower in my life and it is so easy to maintain.

Just to show you guys how we are not brand loyal I am going to add this pic of our rig here. It has a Gravely 34Z, Scag 36" WB and 48" Lazer Z HP. BTW the lazer you see in that pic has over 2,000 in the picture and as you can see it still looks almost brand new. We take great care of our equipment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/Mowers.jpg

I'm not brand loyal either as far as mowers are concerned. Trucks, yes, but only because I've had problems with 2 of the 3 major brands.

Mowers, there ARE some that I've had, that I've crossed off the list to own in the future, AND there are other things that I look at a mower to decide if I'm going to own one, but just because it's red, green, orange or yellow, I don't buy it.

ProStreetCamaro
03-07-2006, 06:35 PM
It's a no brainer...spend the extra 2 bills.

Your probably right Rod. For $200 extra I can get a brand new never used mower from a dealer thats only 3 miles from me. Only thing that worries me is the fact this dealer doesnt stock the mowers in the store. They order them and it takes 5-6 days for it to come in where as the other dealer actually stocks them and has them on the show room floor.

ProStreetCamaro
03-07-2006, 06:38 PM
I'm not brand loyal either as far as mowers are concerned. Trucks, yes, but only because I've had problems with 2 of the 3 major brands.

Mowers, there ARE some that I've had, that I've crossed off the list to own in the future, AND there are other things that I look at a mower to decide if I'm going to own one, but just because it's red, green, orange or yellow, I don't buy it.

Thats exactly how i feel about it. I am the same way with trucks. We have had to many problems out of our fords and will never buy another one. We havent tried dodge but our frinds have a couple and they have trans and brake problems constantly and that turned us away from them. Chevrolet cars and trucks have always treated us good so thats what we buy now. Same with the scag mowers. The scags we have owned and our current scag have ALL cut like crap no matter how we adjust or set them up. So no more scags for us. All of our other equipment has been great so far.

rodfather
03-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Your probably right Rod. For $200 extra I can get a brand new never used mower from a dealer thats only 3 miles from me. Only thing that worries me is the fact this dealer doesnt stock the mowers in the store. They order them and it takes 5-6 days for it to come in where as the other dealer actually stocks them and has them on the show room floor.

well, you still have plenty of time since mowing is a couple of weeks away for you

ProStreetCamaro
03-07-2006, 06:42 PM
well, you still have plenty of time since mowing is a couple of weeks away for you

Yeah thats true. Plus we are in no huge hurry to get one either. We hope to have one in the next 4-5 weeks. After looking at the forcast for this weekend into next week we are thinking that we may have a few to cut starting in about 2 weeks. Our lawn is already starting to show signs of getting its color back. Once that happens it doesnt take long unless we get another cold spell which I hope we wont. :cool2:

LwnmwrMan22
03-07-2006, 06:50 PM

If you go to the guy that doesn't stock the mowers, the most important guy there is the parts guy, especially since it'll be under warranty.

Well, him and the service guy.

Find out what they do about parts, if they'll cover the cost to have parts overnighted or not. My Kubota dealer does this for anything under warranty that they don't have in stock.

If they say they order it, but won't cover to have it overnighted, then I'd check out the guy that stocks them.

It sort of sounds like the local Hustler dealer. He's a jack-of-all-trades hardware store type, that sells EVERYTHING out of his store he thinks he can make a buck on, including typical hardware store stuff, to snowmobiles, to 4-wheelers to mowers to snowblowers to car parts, etc., etc.

The other Hustler dealer is about 20 miles from me, but actually has mowers in crates behind the shop. Personally, I'd deal with the one that has the mowers in the crates behind the shop. To me, I feel he's invested into the lawn mowing end of the business, whereas the guy that doesn't even stock the mower, is looking at it as a way to make a buck. If he decides he can't make a buck, then he's got nothing invested as far as stock, and can just bail at any time.

I'd go back to the guy with the '05, and tell him that you can get a brand new one from someone closer for what you can get it for, and see what he can do. I'd offer him about $5800 for the '05, or tell him that if he can get you the '06 for $6500, that you'll buy that from him.

ProStreetCamaro
03-07-2006, 06:54 PM
If you go to the guy that doesn't stock the mowers, the most important guy there is the parts guy, especially since it'll be under warranty.

Well, him and the service guy.

Find out what they do about parts, if they'll cover the cost to have parts overnighted or not. My Kubota dealer does this for anything under warranty that they don't have in stock.

If they say they order it, but won't cover to have it overnighted, then I'd check out the guy that stocks them.

It sort of sounds like the local Hustler dealer. He's a jack-of-all-trades hardware store type, that sells EVERYTHING out of his store he thinks he can make a buck on, including typical hardware store stuff, to snowmobiles, to 4-wheelers to mowers to snowblowers to car parts, etc., etc.

The other Hustler dealer is about 20 miles from me, but actually has mowers in crates behind the shop. Personally, I'd deal with the one that has the mowers in the crates behind the shop. To me, I feel he's invested into the lawn mowing end of the business, whereas the guy that doesn't even stock the mower, is looking at it as a way to make a buck. If he decides he can't make a buck, then he's got nothing invested as far as stock, and can just bail at any time.

I'd go back to the guy with the '05, and tell him that you can get a brand new one from someone closer for what you can get it for, and see what he can do. I'd offer him about $5800 for the '05, or tell him that if he can get you the '06 for $6500, that you'll buy that from him.

Yeah thats what worried me. The thing is this dealer only has one line of mowers on the floor and in stock. They told me it keeps there cost down by not haveing a load of inventory when they can just get what the customer wants in just a couple days. I need to talk to them about parts. If they have most everything or can get it overnight at no extra charge then I will go with them.

Envy Lawn Service
03-08-2006, 10:04 PM
That's a hard call and it is hard to know what dealer to choose.

Of course I'd give the $200 to have a dealer 3 miles away and a brand new machine.
But that could be the wrong choice dealer service wise.

I would dig deeper first and put the close by dealer on the spot with questions about parts and service. Stuff like what parts do you keep in stock for this mower? Do we come first for repairs? What is your average shop turn around time, ect... Then ask the other dealer the same thing.

I would also talk around with other people and find out how their service is.

What is Lesco like in your area?
I have piece of mind with them.

ProStreetCamaro
03-08-2006, 11:05 PM
That's a hard call and it is hard to know what dealer to choose.

Of course I'd give the $200 to have a dealer 3 miles away and a brand new machine.
But that could be the wrong choice dealer service wise.

I would dig deeper first and put the close by dealer on the spot with questions about parts and service. Stuff like what parts do you keep in stock for this mower? Do we come first for repairs? What is your average shop turn around time, ect... Then ask the other dealer the same thing.

I would also talk around with other people and find out how their service is.

What is Lesco like in your area?
I have piece of mind with them.

Our lesco dealer is 3 miles away also. They want $6000 for a 54" Z-TWO that is last years model but we really want a 48 and they dont have any. They also dont have a service tech and they use some joe schmo about 5 miles away to do repairs under warranty. As far as I can tell it doesnt appear that they carry any parts for it either. As far as I know the Z-TWO isnt wide track is it? The M48 I looked at and drove around is the wide track and I tell you what. That thing turns so nice and smooth compared to any other ZTR I have ever used.

Envy Lawn Service
03-09-2006, 12:23 AM
Our lesco dealer is 3 miles away also. They want $6000 for a 54" Z-TWO that is last years model but we really want a 48 and they dont have any. They also dont have a service tech and they use some joe schmo about 5 miles away to do repairs under warranty. As far as I can tell it doesnt appear that they carry any parts for it either. As far as I know the Z-TWO isnt wide track is it? The M48 I looked at and drove around is the wide track and I tell you what. That thing turns so nice and smooth compared to any other ZTR I have ever used.

Well, I do not believe I would be too keen on that service arrangement either.
Here Lesco services "in-house" which I like.

As far as the wide track thing... that really does not come into play until you get to the 60" models.

As it stands, the 48" mowers have little trim because even with the narrower rear tires, the rear width is already almost as wide as the deck. The 54" is 6" wider, but they are equipped with the 12" wide tires and deep dish wheels. Again, a wider track would be wider than the deck.

But with the 60" there is some room to make it wider because standard it is the same width as the 54" cut. So the track width is 52"-53" to begin with and can be stepped out some.

Anyways, when they cam out with the 72" models they decided to make the wide-track drive frame so they would not be like other MFG's sticking 72" decks on frames designed for 60" decks, which results in too much trim and easy side scalping.

Anyways, this new pump and wheel motor frame put the track width out to around 57"-60" wide. So they were able to fit this frame section to the 60" mowers also.

My Lesco is a 60" and is not a wide track. I like the trim ability, but I would like to try the wide track to see how much better it turns. I could order the OEM parts to replace the standard parts with widetrack parts. But when all is said and done, it would cost way more than I feel it is worth just to try it. So I will find some other way to test out the concept on my machine so I will know rather or not to go with the wide track next time around "IF" it becomes and option through lesco.

ProStreetCamaro
03-09-2006, 01:11 AM
Well, I do not believe I would be too keen on that service arrangement either.
Here Lesco services "in-house" which I like.

As far as the wide track thing... that really does not come into play until you get to the 60" models.

As it stands, the 48" mowers have little trim because even with the narrower rear tires, the rear width is already almost as wide as the deck. The 54" is 6" wider, but they are equipped with the 12" wide tires and deep dish wheels. Again, a wider track would be wider than the deck.

But with the 60" there is some room to make it wider because standard it is the same width as the 54" cut. So the track width is 52"-53" to begin with and can be stepped out some.

Anyways, when they cam out with the 72" models they decided to make the wide-track drive frame so they would not be like other MFG's sticking 72" decks on frames designed for 60" decks, which results in too much trim and easy side scalping.

Anyways, this new pump and wheel motor frame put the track width out to around 57"-60" wide. So they were able to fit this frame section to the 60" mowers also.

My Lesco is a 60" and is not a wide track. I like the trim ability, but I would like to try the wide track to see how much better it turns. I could order the OEM parts to replace the standard parts with widetrack parts. But when all is said and done, it would cost way more than I feel it is worth just to try it. So I will find some other way to test out the concept on my machine so I will know rather or not to go with the wide track next time around "IF" it becomes and option through lesco.

I can tell you that the M48 turns much better than out 48" Lazer Z HP does by the 5 minute test drive I took.

Richard Martin
03-09-2006, 05:22 AM
I will agree with everybody else and say to go with which ever dealer has parts or is willing to get them quick. The best handling mower in the world isn't worth squat if it doesn't run.

wriken
03-09-2006, 09:37 AM
I'm pretty sure any dealer will work on your machine regardless where you buy it, they may scorn you for not buying from them. But that could work to your advantage, they may really be in the dealing mode when you start looking at a new mower down the road. If it breaks down, I've had very good luck on my cubs. As far as buying a Lesco, if you do you will have to go to lesco for warranty work, but after 3 years (if there warrantys the same as cubs) Take it to a cub dealer, or fix it yourself. I would buy the new model, over the demo, and have it fixed at the dealer thats more capable. That way, if your like me, you know who runs it, I don't cowboy my machines, I let them warm up etc, even on a 80degree day, not just get on , hit the throttle wide open and put cold hyd/motor oil thru everything, like they do when they demo a machine. But thats my thoughts on a demo, could be completely wrong. I'm not sure but the hyd setup may be the new style on the newer machine, check and see. Good luck on your decision, regardless you have your mind set on a great mower.:)

Rene
03-09-2006, 10:07 PM
We have the M54 and here are a few cons to look at.
Keep in mind that it is four years old and has about 1000 hrs. on it.

The front spindle on the front tire assemble is wearing and is rocking back and forth.
The front arm that holds the deck in place is starting to rock also.
Cann't find after market blades, Cub blades $ 25.00 per blade, takes three
Steel rod that holds deck on shoot holds grass and drops clumps when grass is damp.( took ares off )
Keep in mind the amount of oil for hydalic pumps.
Other than that is been an ok mower.
My wife drives the Tank and I drive the TT52 Exmark with the sulky.
Good luck Rene

wriken
03-09-2006, 10:54 PM

The front spindle on the front tire assemble is wearing and is rocking back and forth.

Good luck Rene
For the front spindle, get parts from jthomas, bearing and the spacer may have to get at dealer. cheap fix, I grease mine daily.
The front arm may have a rod to replace.

LwnmwrMan22
03-09-2006, 11:19 PM

Sounds like any other mower that's 4 years old....

Here's a link on Ebay... 3 blades, $57 after shipping....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7748381707&category=82237

Steel rod that holds deck on shoot holds grass and drops clumps when grass is damp.( took ares off )
Good luck Rene

Envy Lawn Service
03-09-2006, 11:51 PM

Good luck Rene

Not bad for 4 years and 1,000 hours.
Cheap fixes.

Just so you know, those items have been upgraded on the new models as well.
Other things must be changed as well because I don't have any clumping issues either.

The blades you can get a Lesco for under $15 each.
Which deck do you have?
Stamped? or fabricated out of flat steel?