PDA

View Full Version : towing

burntcookie
03-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Hi there, im getting into the mini business and i was wondering if i could tow a Cat 304 or a 121 kubota with a chev 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 6L gas engine? The Cat weighs 9800 pds, i think the Kubota weighs around 9300 (both have cabs):weightlifter: thanks

thepawnshop
03-07-2006, 04:27 PM
You can tow them individually no problem.

Scag48
03-07-2006, 04:58 PM
It would be pushing it, I have a 2500 with the 6L gas and it barely handles our 303. No doubt it will physically pull it, but it's slow (compared to my dad's Ford Powerstroke) and the truck is so light duty that it gets thrown around a bit around corners and if the going gets a little bumpy. Can you do it? Yes. Would I suggest it long term? Absolutely not. BTW, the 304CR (or CCR) is more like 10,800 pounds with a cab.

CutRight
03-07-2006, 08:15 PM
im going through the same thing, trying to find a truck to tow my kubota 161-3. (12,000 #s) I moved it once with my 2500HD and a 10 ton gooseneck trailer. I'm not doing that again, one because its very un-safe and two because I think its pretty illegal. so right now im trying to figure out exactly what keeps me legal.

you can read my confusing story in the truck and trailer section if you want. I'll update it once i find out.

mrusk
03-07-2006, 08:31 PM
I have a 05' dodge 2500 cummins. I was in a pinch for a truck and got a good deal so i bought it. But now a year later i am looking at machines and wish i got atleast a 1 ton. But dodge didn't make a srw 1 ton in reg cab, i didn't want to buy a 6.0 powerjoke, and my dads chevy 2500hd with 20k miles left me stranded the week before, so i didn't want a GM.

My truck is rated for a 20k gcvw. The truck weighs 7000lbs with me in. I am looking at skids/mtls and mini excavators. I know i can't go larger than a 303 and a 246. Because once i add a tool box, headache rack, transfer tank, tools, Jose or Pablo. I am going to be pretty close to 20k. But hey, i doubt i could afford any bigger machines anyway.

I couldn't imagine towing a 304 with a gaser.

bobcatboy
03-07-2006, 08:44 PM
I have a 05' dodge 2500 cummins. I was in a pinch for a truck and got a good deal so i bought it. But now a year later i am looking at machines and wish i got atleast a 1 ton. But dodge didn't make a srw 1 ton in reg cab, i didn't want to buy a 6.0 powerjoke, and my dads chevy 2500hd with 20k miles left me stranded the week before, so i didn't want a GM.

My truck is rated for a 20k gcvw. The truck weighs 7000lbs with me in. I am looking at skids/mtls and mini excavators. I know i can't go larger than a 303 and a 246. Because once i add a tool box, headache rack, transfer tank, tools, Jose or Pablo. I am going to be pretty close to 20k. But hey, i doubt i could afford any bigger machines anyway.

I couldn't imagine towing a 304 with a gaser. well imagine it, I have a 05 f-350 with the v-10 and I pull regular about 15k with no problem.

gammon landscaping
03-07-2006, 10:28 PM
when looing as hauling i thnik insted of looking at power to pull the main concern should be stopping

i move my stuff with a f250 POWERSTROKE
and dad has a 93 f350 with reading tool body 110gallon desiel tank, and loaded down with tools. i think it weighs around 12,000 and it has the old 351 with an auto.
and it pulls my skid not fast but it gets there. most heavy trucks will do it if you make them do it

Madstriper
03-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Yes, it will pull it. But you are crazy if you pull it without trailer brakes.
Ideally, you would want to get a 1 ton, and the diesels do a much better job in the long run if you pull it often. Just remember to give yourself plenty of time to stop and always try to keep yourself an escape route in traffic in case you run into a situation where you might not have the distance needed to stop.

ksss
03-07-2006, 10:47 PM
At the risk to turing this into a GM V FORD V DODGE, I will say that I have had excellent results with a GM HD trucks I have pulled up to 32,600 gross weight with K3500 D/A and it pulled very well. Yes it will stop the load as well. I got a GMC 5500 4X4 D/A last year, extremely stable towing platform. I run a 12,600 mini ex and a 9500 pound skid steer. I often pull two machines on the same trailer (granted not the two I just listed) these GM trucks pull and I have never any problems with them.

Gravel Rat
03-08-2006, 01:24 AM
Your prolly better off buying a cheap old medium duty and put a ramp body on it to carry the machine. You can find a old gas pot truck pretty cheap it will save you from going for a scary ride when you can't stop with a heavy machine on a trailer behind a P/U truck.

Canon Landscaping
03-08-2006, 10:04 AM
I have a 2500hd with dmax allison and i pull a d3 on a 20 ton all the time I have even pulled my komatsu d-41 with it but wouldnt do it again. the trailer's brakes are strong enough to stop the trailer and truck

TAF65
03-08-2006, 02:50 PM
I tow a PC40 Komatsu with a Chevrolet 1 ton dually flatbed dump. I have a triple axle trailer that is rated for 10 tons. I'd guess the trailer at 4000lbs and the machine (no cab) at 9500lbs . I thought buying a trailer bigger then I needed at the time (2 years ago) would be smart if I wanted to get a bigger machine or move up to a bigger truck. None the less, I am extremley careful about towing my machine with this set up. First thing is that getting up to speed is a bit slow, but I can get where I need to. My main concern is stopping. I have new brakes and tires on truck and trailer. I am very careful in traffic and when its wet I allow plenty of room when needing to stop. The only issue I have ever had is with some kid in a little honda with a coffee can muffler talking on a cell phone and pulling out in front of me or cutting me off. They have made eye contact and then they pull out. I have thought no way is this guy gonna pull out, buthtey do. Now I expect it. Next on the list is a beefy bumper up front. Soon I hope to move up to a bigger truck. The machine makes money for me not the truck, but I want to be able to get there safely. You can tow a machine this size, but no way without trailer brakes. My friend has a 17,000lb 5th wheel and uses a F-350 non dually. I am sure the 5th wheel hitch helps, as compared to my pintle hitch trailer, but you have to be careful when your nearing the limits of your truck and trailer. I will not tow more then I do now until I get a bigger truck.

burntcookie
03-09-2006, 06:20 PM
The trailer I would run would have electric brakes, I was just wondering if I could tow short term, Thank you for all the replies - Cookie

qps
03-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Hi there, im getting into the mini business and i was wondering if i could tow a Cat 304 or a 121 kubota with a chev 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 6L gas engine? The Cat weighs 9800 pds, i think the Kubota weighs around 9300 (both have cabs):weightlifter: thanks

demoed a 304..pulled it with my 05 F350 SWR PS ... couldn't even tell it was there:cool2: ..3/4 ton should pull it, as long as you keep the tongue weight right....

all ferris
03-09-2006, 07:19 PM
I pull 14000#+ with my duramax/allison all the time with no problems. My farmer friend pulls cattle (about whatever 8 full grown cows weigh??) on a gooseneck all the time with his 6.0 chevy 2500hd. I'm pretty sure the cows weigh more than the machine you want to pull.

nac
03-10-2006, 07:26 PM
I must have a lemon Because my 2500HD/ Allison pulls my pc-45 with the 14 dump trailer (Bri-mar) fine but, Stoping was a nother thing with trailer brake. I bent the hitch sub frame twice in the truck and the front suspension was always going out of wack because it was just to much weight for a rear hitch. That why i bump up to a 33,000 GVW truck