PDA

View Full Version : What do you think.

FFjay
03-07-2006, 05:31 PM
Hey fellers just wanted to pick your brains. I'm a career firefighter with plenty of time off looking to make a little extra scratch. I got you standard harry homeowners equipt. I was looking to start aerating and overseeding,Vacation lawn mowing, edging basic lawn stuff. Any tips would be great. I'm not looking to get rich just try to get ready for the baby on the way. Not sure if I really need insurance. I surely get it if I start making money. But what is a good way to get your name out. I like helping older folks and thought my services would be a help to them. Anyway any info is great info. Much THANKS!!!

weathervane
03-07-2006, 05:47 PM
put in add in the paper or do door hangers that is a great way to get started

Ocean Side
03-07-2006, 06:07 PM
FF Jay
I am a Full Time FF in Newhampshire, I have the same plan this summer. All the info that you will need is here on this site. Email me with any questions you may have. To start you will want a decent mower, a line trimmer, and a blower go from there, and good luck

hackitdown
03-08-2006, 11:13 AM
I think it is a great way to go. You can do well with de-thatching, aerating, overseeding, and edging. Mowing requires weekly visits, can you work your schedule to make mowing possible?

You gotta get insurance. Money well spent.

29 Palms Property Management
03-08-2006, 02:30 PM
You gotta get insurance. Money well spent.
I agree! Whether or not you do this a little or a lot, it's great to have piece of mind knowing that your butt is covered in case something unfortunate should happen. Accidents are just that, accidents! You never know.

daveintoledo
03-08-2006, 02:36 PM
I agree! Whether or not you do this a little or a lot, it's great to have piece of mind knowing that your butt is covered in case something unfortunate should happen. Accidents are just that, accidents! You never know.

and you have a baby on the way, rock goes flying, hits a kid, looses an eye, you get sued.... no college fund for junior... you loose your house on and on....just not worth the risk man...

and welcome .....
:)

FFjay
03-08-2006, 03:07 PM
I do want to get insurance I am trying to build with little money out of pocket. You know a job or two and then(when I can prove to my wife) the business will take off make the investment. I'm going to paramedic school in April so I'm hopeing 10-20 jobs will be plenty for this season just enough to kinda get my name out. I'll be able to go wide open this time next year. I'm looking to not lose any money cause I really can't afford to. I don't know how much insurance is or what it covers yet. I'm guessing around $50 per month hopefully less I'm a dreamer. Also I'm not really trying to mow weekly just a few yards maybe. I don't know if I can make a weekly commitment. I'm looking for a niche in the edging, aeration, overseeding I don't have a large truck just a Jr. nissan maybe I can grow with the business and not make the grow into me. Hopefully NO accidents the first season till I can commit to the extra time. Any feedback is great. If you haven't killed yourself by now (long post) or still reading. You write it I'll read it just need info from the people that have been there. Thanks for your Time!!!

daveintoledo
03-08-2006, 03:23 PM
ok, the grass keeps growing weither its conveinent for you or not.... so if you cant mow every week.... especially in the spring .... that means you really cant take on any mowing clients...... very few people want the grass mowed once in a while......and what about bad weather... its pouring for days ... how do you get around this.....

the aeriating, overseeding and such,,,, is usually an upsell from the lawn care provider , those who are dong the cutting...they use the cutting to get there foot in the door to sell the other services....

not trying to discourage you , but it seems a little unrealistic to think this will work for you if you cant make a weekly committment....

hope all goes well for you .....:)

Killswitch
03-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Another one....

It's like a disease with these fireman....lol

FFjay
03-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Another one....

It's like a disease with these fireman....lol
It would be fireMEN. If you mean more than one.:confused: Anyway just looking for some help THANKS! :rolleyes: I think it will do well. If I need to make it evolve to weekly, I can like I said next season. This is a good way for FIREMAN:rolleyes: to make extra money on our schedules. Sorry to impose.

Killswitch
03-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Oh no impose. Use the site.....lots of information. I just get a kick out of the sheer numbers of firemen that mow lawns on the side.

firefightergw
03-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Oh no impose. Use the site.....lots of information. I just get a kick out of the sheer numbers of firemen that mow lawns on the side.

Doesn't take much for some people to get their "kicks" I guess.:dizzy:

PMLAWN
03-08-2006, 06:29 PM
I do want to get insurance I am trying to build with little money out of pocket. You know a job or two and then(when I can prove to my wife) the business will take off make the investment. !!!
What are you going to prove to your wife??
How much are you going to invest?? What will be the ROI and over what time. You need a business plan. that will tell you how long you have to work till you make money. I agree with Dave, look hard at this business. It is very labor intensive-- It takes a lot of equipment and maintenance to it,- There is a lot of overhead that has to be payed for from the business. Most guys doing this make little or no real money. And they don't even realize it.

You are a full time FF, Baby on the way, going to school, and little to invest to build a Business. I have to ask again -What are you going to prove to your wife??

FFjay
03-08-2006, 08:15 PM
What are you going to prove to your wife??
How much are you going to invest?? What will be the ROI and over what time. You need a business plan. that will tell you how long you have to work till you make money. I agree with Dave, look hard at this business. It is very labor intensive-- It takes a lot of equipment and maintenance to it,- There is a lot of overhead that has to be payed for from the business. Most guys doing this make little or no real money. And they don't even realize it.

You are a full time FF, Baby on the way, going to school, and little to invest to build a Business. I have to ask again -What are you going to prove to your wife??
Well I kinda had a business trying to restripe parking lots. I figured it was a sure thing perfect for me all that jazz. So I did the homework and lined up a couple of jobs bought a linelazer and BOOM!!! Notta...I could't pay poeple to re stripe their lots. Did the whole thing too nice cloths nice cards very professional. Everyone yanking my chain. So Momma is a little scared to come off the money because I lost about a grand when I sold it all.:cry: So I would like to try this or get a part time job making like a $1.00an hour:cool2: or become a heavy drinker...That sounds nice

PMLAWN
03-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Well I kinda had a business trying to restripe parking lots. I figured it was a sure thing perfect for me all that jazz. So I did the homework and lined up a couple of jobs bought a linelazer and BOOM!!! Notta...I could't pay poeple to re stripe their lots. Did the whole thing too nice cloths nice cards very professional. Everyone yanking my chain. So Momma is a little scared to come off the money because I lost about a grand when I sold it all.:cry: So I would like to try this or get a part time job making like a $1.00an hour:cool2: or become a heavy drinker...That sounds nice

Thats the point!!!! you need to know the market and what the odds are of getting work in your area at the price you need to make a profit after paying yourself and covering overhead. It will take a few years to make any money at this. Lots of overhead at start up. Lots of time and effort. This is a business. To make real money will take a lot of work and a lot of time. There is no free lunch. You will get out of this what you put into it. I think you missed my point when I asked "what are you proving to your wife" Maybe I should have asked, "can you prove to yourself that this business is worth it." And I mean that YOU show yourself real PROOF. Not a bunch of kids living at home with Mom telling you that there is real "big" money here. Make a business plan and bring it to your accountant-- prove it to him!! I will bet that this is something you did not do with the striping gig. And I hear you now saying "I can not spend $200 on a visit to my accountant. But it would have saved $1000 if you had before. I truly believe you need to have around $5000 ready to spend before you start this and don't expect to see any of that back for a year or so. I wish you all the luck but I want you to know what you are jumping into before you jump. Happy mowing - whatever you decide.:waving:

FFjay
03-09-2006, 12:32 AM
This site is really great. But there is alot of "Man I'm making a zillion bucks and worked till noon." I know this is not true and at the same time this is not my lively hood and most likely will not ever be. Just looking on a few tips if anything to make my yard look better and if I can make a lil doe on the side F.N.A. Anywho I did have a business plan on the striping gig but maybe I'm just no salesman,better with CPR, trama, and FIRE! so maybe this isn't the right thing for me but it's not Rocket Science. So I don't think I will be loseing my house if my rented machine doesnt make any money or my home mower doesn't produce. Anyway ...Tired...Pissed...........OUT!!!!

FFjay
03-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Also I'm meeting with my accountant today what should he know? And I do not live at home with mom. THANKS!

firefightergw
03-09-2006, 02:06 AM
Jay, I can't send you a PM so post your email so I can send you some information.

PMLAWN
03-09-2006, 08:02 AM
This site is really great. But there is alot of "Man I'm making a zillion bucks and worked till noon." I know this is not true and at the same time this is not my lively hood and most likely will not ever be. Just looking on a few tips if anything to make my yard look better and if I can make a lil doe on the side F.N.A. Anywho I did have a business plan on the striping gig but maybe I'm just no salesman,better with CPR, trama, and FIRE! so maybe this isn't the right thing for me but it's not Rocket Science. So I don't think I will be loseing my house if my rented machine doesnt make any money or my home mower doesn't produce. Anyway ...Tired...Pissed...........OUT!!!!

I hope that you are not "pissed" at me -- I was not trying to get you mad or say that there was no way you could do this. Just wanted to help you look at it from all angles, Sorry

daveintoledo
03-09-2006, 09:49 AM
pm or, me or no one else was bashing you... and the kid at moms house remark someone made is in reference to all the teenagers doing this also.....

we want you to do well, just pointing out all the troubles we see at the time....so you can rectify them if you want......

like i said before , your a full time fire fighter, new baby on the way, and especially, your STARTING SCHOOL AT THE BUSIEST TIME OF YEAR....

you are just going to have to find ways to conquer these obstacles if your interested in doing this.....

FFjay
03-09-2006, 12:40 PM
I hope that you are not "pissed" at me -- I was not trying to get you mad or say that there was no way you could do this. Just wanted to help you look at it from all angles, Sorry
NO NO No I was @ work pissed didn't mean any harm. Your right though there are many angles to look @ but you never know till you try it. If anything I gotta try try try I'm hopeing to @least make enought money to get a ZTR.

FFjay
03-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Jay, I can't send you a PM so post your email so I can send you some information.

I know I can't PM either? What's up witdat. jknight122@hotmail.com