PDA

View Full Version : Trailer idea...

jblawns123
03-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Hear me out....

A 16' tandem open trailer.....
6' Dump insert turned sideways on the front of the 16 foot trailer, cut a section of the side rail on the trailer where the dump insert would dump...

Leaves about a 12' trailer left that would fit walker and a walk behind along with push mower etc...

Back Walker up trailer and dump into dump insert, should hold maybe 10 dumps without moving any grass to fit more....

Could build sides right on the dump insert for leaf cleanups, mount leaf vac on tongue.....

Get the picture.... All new for about $3500

Less than dump trailer, would be lighter more versitile, still have back of pickup empty for other stuff.

What do you think?

Signature Landscaping1
03-07-2006, 04:42 PM
sounds good to me

mulcahy mowing
03-07-2006, 04:53 PM
sounds good i would do it if i had a bigger trailer.

OutdoorExtras
03-07-2006, 04:56 PM
I see several problems the first being weight distribution. If the dump portion was loaded (no mowers) it would place too much weight on the tongue, if it was empty the weight of the mowers would make the trailer un towable. Second: Loading the dump portion would be impossible with all but the smallest buckets (unless you drove up the trailer). Third: The dumped debris would fall under the path of the trailer/vehicle.

walker-talker
03-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Sounds like a good idea, but as forementioned, that would place a hell of a lot of weight on the tongue.

What are you getting new for $3500....the debris box and loader?

Matt

dkeisala
03-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Our PUD (electric/water company) uses smaller trailers with small hydraulic dump boxes up front. A local LCO has a custom trailer, probably around 18', that has a dump box on front and all equipment loads from curbside ramps instead of rear ramps.

For loading/unloading ease, I still think EZDumper inserts give you the most bang for your buck.

jblawns123
03-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Hmmmm...

Walker talker... $1600 for a dual axle trailer and $1900 for the insert without headboard.

The unit would only weigh 600 pounds empty, would not be a problem empty, no different that a mower on the front. Full, with no mowers, I could see a problem, but not too bad I wouldn't think....

Full with mowers should be no problem, dont forget it is only a 6 foot long unit.

But for picking up material (which would not be often) I can see a problem, as you said, loading....

Hmmmm....

jtkplc
03-07-2006, 06:04 PM
With out me putting much thought into it, it sounds like a good idea. But I think some of the problems others have mentioned are valid. My biggest concern would be tongue weight, but I think you would have to have a lot of debris in the dumb box to have it be a problem, unless it was on for an extended period of time. I don't think going over the tongue weight for a brief period of time would be a huge deal.

Jason Rose
03-07-2006, 06:54 PM
I think it sounds like an awesome idea! Obviously could be a little tricky to dump though, since you would need to drive up parrallel with the dump area instead of backing up to it.

I know I can get about 3,000 pounds of grass in my truck, but that's a 6'10" x 9' bed with 2 foot sides, heaped and packed down and wet. The ideal place for the dumper would be over the axles, but that wouldn't leave you much room in the rear, plus you would have to have it sitting up above the wheelwells.

I hope you can get something figured out, sounds like a neat idea.

NEUSWEDE
03-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Why do all that when you can go to a welder and have a gate at the front of the trailer made with wire mesh that you can back up the trailer and up the gate and dump in the bed. Several lawnsite folks have this set-up I know of atleast 5 in the area that have this. I am gonna build one as soon as I get my 16ft.
Just an idea.

CURBAPPEAL NC
03-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Why do all that when you can go to a welder and have a gate at the front of the trailer made with wire mesh that you can back up the trailer and up the gate and dump in the bed. Several lawnsite folks have this set-up I know of atleast 5 in the area that have this. I am gonna build one as soon as I get my 16ft.
Just an idea.

I was gonna do this with my other setup but, I have a tool box on my tongue, holds my hedge trimmers and chainsaw oil, ect, I made my own copy of the jungle jim rack that holds my bb Blower, Gas cans, water cooler. So, my question is what do you guys do with all this equipment? Not being a smart as$, I really want some ideas! thanks!

NEUSWEDE
03-07-2006, 08:50 PM
I was gonna do this with my other setup but, I have a tool box on my tongue, holds my hedge trimmers and chainsaw oil, ect, I made my own copy of the jungle jim rack that holds my bb Blower, Gas cans, water cooler. So, my question is what do you guys do with all this equipment? Not being a smart as$, I really want some ideas! thanks!

Keep the toolbox on the tounge, put the racks for trimmers and gas on the the side for easy access out side.
The gate will pivot on the railing
I will try and find some pictures.

cantoo
03-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Consider putting the dump centered over the axles and a mower on the front and one on the rear. The dump would be on hinge arms that would lift up over the wheel wheels as it goes up or it could just be the same height as the wheel wells. You would have an issue hauling it when it's empty. The dumper would be just like an insert and could be removed very quickly. You'll likley have to fork or use a loader ot load it. Dumping sideways isn't an issue you just drive ahead slowly as you are dumping, very little will fall under the wheels.

syNNer
03-09-2006, 11:57 AM
check out http://www.berkelmanswelding.on.ca/pages/sidedump.html they already build exactly what you're looking for.

LawnMowerMan3875
03-09-2006, 01:18 PM
check out http://www.berkelmanswelding.on.ca/pages/sidedump.html they already build exactly what you're looking for.

Looks like a great setup...But wish they could put the right link to the picture you want to look at....

syNNer
03-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Yeah I noticed the links don't mesh very well. Awesome product, their stuff is built tougher than anything else you're going to find.

NEUSWEDE
03-16-2006, 05:22 PM
here is a better idea, can hold more and better setup

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lawncare-Landscape-Debris-handling-trailer_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ66470QQitemZ4621645845QQrdZ1

jblawns123
03-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Yea, but that is $11,000 more.:rolleyes:

South Florida Lawns
03-16-2006, 06:06 PM
Hell a 1 ton truck hooked up to a trailer like that, and weight is not really an issue.

I always overload trucks its really not a big deal.

Most of the time its the brakes.

NEUSWEDE
03-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Yea, but that is $11,000 more.:rolleyes:

Yea but it can hold more, isn't that worth the extra 6K?

jblawns123
03-16-2006, 10:50 PM
No.

It would only need to hold 1 days grass mostly....