PDA

View Full Version : Well its spring again and they hit a nerve!!!

wherebluegrassgrows
03-07-2006, 06:32 PM
I know I've seen this here before but it just makes me boil. $19.00 a cut but only in this neighborhood.
" Prepare to save money on your lawn care in 2006. I ,name of ahole, am offering a special to neighborhood area residents for each cut and trim of your lawn for the entire year of 2006 for 19.95. I live in this area and attend
the local church with my two boys attending the local school. I am tired of people taking advantage of their community so i have decided to give back."
He's tired of people taking advantage of his community. Attends the same church I do and I've never seen him there. My wife and I volunteer at the church weekly. It just ticks me off, not just his ridicules price but that he more or less accused me of taking advantage of our community. Ive been cutting in this area for 5 years now and the average cut has always been 30 to 35 dollars. One of the corner lots is a 55 dollar cut, a 1/2 acre with 75 foot of ditch to trim. I'd love to see him get that one.:angry: :angry: :angry:

dKoester
03-07-2006, 06:42 PM
That ditch would take longer than he thinks. This guy is going to work himself to death. Serious deal though, I doubt he will be long in this business. Stay positive man Jesus cares about you.

TURF DOCTOR
03-07-2006, 06:43 PM
It happens every year, seems like the big companies under bid here we got hit last season on properties we were cutting at 30 a cut under bid at 19 per cut,some of the bigger companies do a 3 to 5 year contract.

Randy Scott
03-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Call him up. Confront him and his accusations. Don't tell us, I don't care. Unless you make an effort to do something about a problem, don't complain.

wherebluegrassgrows
03-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Call him up. Confront him and his accusations. Don't tell us, I don't care. Unless you make an effort to do something about a problem, don't complain.
I did call got a voice mail. I'm waiting to speak with him in person. In the mean time I just thought I'd share somthing besides the usual mower or contract talk. If I can't vent here, hey wait a minute do you cut lawns for 19.00? If you do your just cheating yourself pal.

Woody82986
03-07-2006, 07:23 PM
What kills me is that he has two boys and he thinks he is going to be able to support them by charging $19.95 per cut. I realize the guy might have extremely low overhead, but lets get real here...

wherebluegrassgrows
03-07-2006, 07:31 PM
I'll leave it at that. I am going to call him back and I'll be sure to let him know if he gets any jobs he'll be missing out on about 500 dollars per season. That would eat at me everytime I cut one of those 19.00 lawns.

jsf343
03-07-2006, 07:33 PM
I thought the first part of your answer was ok Randy, then you lost me.
I think he is just like most of us, (you as well?) trying to make a living and tired of being severely undercut by someone who may not even be legal.
It IS frustrating to know what you need to make to cover all your business expenses only to have someone come in at a price that is sooooooo much lower that it almost doesn't make sense. In the end it hurts all of us.

lawnmaniac883
03-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Well, seems like he will only be giving back to his community for a short while then eh? He will soon be burnt out after pushing his 21'' murray across 20 lawns. Dont sweat this guy man, a-holes like this pop up all over the place. This will give you a chance to see how strong your customer base really is!

one man gang
03-07-2006, 08:18 PM
If you don't care why comment? A guy can vent.

CuttinUP
03-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Hey Bluegrass, What part of town is this joker in?:gunsfirin :gunsfirin

Plow_Boy84
03-07-2006, 09:25 PM
he will soon realize that at 19.95 he will be making minimum wage or less per hour after he pays for fuel and such. i bet he wont make it through the summer like that

sikagrass
03-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Seems like thats a lot of new guys anser to not having enough accounts.he will get some work,ruin the price for everybody else (shouldnt it be going up instead?) and then go back to a regular job because there isnt any money in cutting grass. Go figure. Hope he doesnt hit your route too bad.

Lizard Lawn Care
03-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Everyone seems to get so angry over other peoples prices... If you offer a fair product for a fair price you will get work!:rolleyes: Just because someone else is in a position to provide a service at a lower price, don't get angry:cry: Understand 2 things. either he will be out of business in less than a year...... or he will provide a poor service and loose this business he has got through low pricing. I provide service to folks for less than 19.00 per cut...there are many, many factors..... size, number of gate drops, area, and I obtain yearly contracts.... so in summer I am charging 15.00 per cut... in winter I am charging 60.00 per cut.... it all comes out in the wash......Its a much bigger picture than accusing a guy of undercutting...... Ultimatly: its what you can offer your customer and what they will pay for it. If he stays in business at those prices and you can't............................maybe you should find a new business!!!:waving:

Roger
03-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Just maybe .... this man is part-time, intending to help teach his boys hard work, money to him is of no significance on the matter. He may be making his living elsewhere. Sure, you can say he can charge more, but that may not be of any importance to him. His goal may be to get the boys to work, learn the discipline of work, apart from seeking big money. In the meantime, he has never considered the notion that he is badly undercutting others who are mowing for a living, and driving down prices. Rather than trying to find his boys jobs (and they may not be old enough for employment), he is using this opportunity for the three of them to work together.

I gave up a customer last season and the replacement was a man and his 10-12 year old boy. The young man was working along side his dad. A good idea? No, but the boy was not sitting behind a video game, rather learning how to work. Ah yes ... a badly missing part of parental education these days. How many threads are posted that complain about "... the kids these days don't want to work," and other such complaints. But, how many parents are teaching their children how to work?

Yes, I could be very wrong, but I can easily picture how it may be working. We may not agree, but certainly not outside the realm of possibilities.

BTW, I highly doubt the woman, my former customer, cared a hoot about a man and his 12 year old son mowing her lawn. Neither did she care a hoot about me showing up with my commercial mowers, trimmers, etc. She just wanted her grass cut!

sikagrass
03-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Good points there. But I know if someone wanted to mow down here for those prices(19.00) he could mow from the time the sun came up till it went down,with a crew, and never get caught up. I charge what I want and if I cant get it I stay home,not into working just to work.

one man gang
03-08-2006, 12:29 AM
Just maybe .... this man is part-time, intending to help teach his boys hard work, money to him is of no significance on the matter. He may be making his living elsewhere. Sure, you can say he can charge more, but that may not be of any importance to him. His goal may be to get the boys to work, learn the discipline of work, apart from seeking big money. In the meantime, he has never considered the notion that he is badly undercutting others who are mowing for a living, and driving down prices. Rather than trying to find his boys jobs (and they may not be old enough for employment), he is using this opportunity for the three of them to work together.

I gave up a customer last season and the replacement was a man and his 10-12 year old boy. The young man was working along side his dad. A good idea? No, but the boy was not sitting behind a video game, rather learning how to work. Ah yes ... a badly missing part of parental education these days. How many threads are posted that complain about "... the kids these days don't want to work," and other such complaints. But, how many parents are teaching their children how to work?

Yes, I could be very wrong, but I can easily picture how it may be working. We may not agree, but certainly not outside the realm of possibilities.

BTW, I highly doubt the woman, my former customer, cared a hoot about a man and his 12 year old son mowing her lawn. Neither did she care a hoot about me showing up with my commercial mowers, trimmers, etc. She just wanted her grass cut!

Well if he really wanted to help his fellow church folk and give his kids a work ethic he should volunteer to cut the(elderly) church members lawn for free don't you Think? And as for as you saying he might not know he's driving prices down, what do call the part of his ad where he said that he's tired of people getting taken advantage of? He is not only low balling he's telling people they're getting ripped off by everyone else. Doesn't sound very church like to me

work_it
03-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Well, good to see some others on lawnsite from my neck of the woods. As for the idiot with the flyers advertising $19.95/cut...I gave up on guys like him getting under my skin. The first time I started a lawn company with my best friend I had no concept of business, and tried the same thing. I landed a few customers and worked my butt off, but I was no real threat to any of the existing lawn companies.

I even had one guy call me from a flyer, a guy who owned a dry-cleaning business, who told me he wouldn't hire me until I brought my rates up to area standards. He then told me that he couldn't stand low-ballers and was nice enough to explain the ramifications of my actions.

So keep in mind that not everybody is going to fall for his line of B.S. Most people who hire lawn companies have had their experiences with guys like him, and realize that they'll get what they pay for.

SKAT LAWN
03-08-2006, 01:15 AM
these guys can only make your business stronger and more appreciated. People will get what they pay for in this business......let 'em go, see what happens, they can't hurt you.:walking:

Richard Martin
03-08-2006, 02:27 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. A few years back signs starting appearing all over the place where I work. Lawns mowed...20 bucks or something like that. It turns out that I knew the guy. He ended up the season with 4 customers and didn't continue after the first year.

jeffex
03-08-2006, 06:09 AM
Every year I go out and talk to my customers around this time. Mowing is still 3-4 wks away here. I'm not a contract guy mostly because I'm at maximum customers anyway. I would use contracts if this were my full time gig though.!! However , I do go out and talk to or call everyone just to confirm service and pricing for this year. I have dealt with customers "revealing" these low ball fliers to me by simply reminding them what I provide for them . Licensing , insurance , taxes, fancy uniforms and trucks,etc. means very little to them[although I think they are important to NEW customers]. It's dependability and quality that makes them stay. If someone informs me they are switching I usually make a "long term" play and tell them to call me If the new guy doesn't work out. I remind them that I may not have room for them on my list if things don't work out though. I have had only one lady go ahead after that talk and she came back the next season with 3 of her friends. At a higher price too!! Go out and be pro-active with your customers. Get ahead of any surprises . Once people start the season at your price and make a few payments it just becomes habit for them and they are unlikely to shop for lawn guys unless you really screw up!! Just my experience.

LawnGuy73
03-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Yeah, we get that around here too....signs that read "$40.00 dethatches".