PDA

View Full Version : John Deere Z trak owners

DLCS
03-07-2006, 09:43 PM
What brand of oil are you running in your hydro systems. I've always ran the JD Plus 50 15w-40 in all of mine but was thinking of switching to another 15w-40 oil. Do all of you run the JD oils? Also, who even makes a good 15w-40 oil?

Green King
03-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Several manufactures use Mobil. I personally use Conklin Synthetic in my machines and have never had any problems! Another oil popular in this area is Petron Synthetic I have used there two cycle oil but not there regular oil. However there are several guys using it and seem to like it.

POPO4995
03-07-2006, 10:59 PM
All John Deere fluids in my Deere's except for engine oil, thats Mobil 1. :usflag:

Tonyr
03-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Mike, be very, very careful putting any oil in ya J.D other than J.D oil, J.D gear is made, or visa versa to work best with their oil.

Why I know is.....when I first bought my other deere z trak a huge cane haulage tractor was in at the dealers.....getting a new ass! the mechanics were spewing, the owner started using a very popular very high quality aussie oil, same specs etc....but it buggered his hydro system.

I was lectured, never, ever use any oil other than deere oils in ya deere, especially the hydros.

So, I use J.D oil in engine and hydros.

Also, I've found deere blades work best on deere decks, been doing some experimenting.....and I like the deere blades, stay sharp a long time, wide....bit expensive, but hey, not like I buy a set a day lol.

Mike, you should see what I'm cutting with this 997 now, and you should see how well it does the jungles....damn these are good decks!

jpmako
03-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Mike,

I would probably stick with the JD Plus 50 15w-40 for the Hydro Systems.
Changing to another fluid and not completely flushing the system is not a good idea. Mixing oils can do damage to seals, and that you don't want to do!

BTW do you happen to know what the intervals are for changing the fluid?

Jason

DLCS
03-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Mike,

BTW do you happen to know what the intervals are for changing the fluid?

Jason

I always change the oil and filters yearly. I believe thats what the manuals say too. I decided to just stick with the JD Plus, I paid around $66 for a 5 gallon pails, cheaper to buy by the pail. I'm sure other brands would work just as well but mixing 2 brands might not be that good. Since you can never get all the old oil out unless you break everything down and I will not do that.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
03-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Using deere fluid in mine also

deereman
03-08-2006, 06:47 PM
All Deere oils except, grease.

JTF40
03-08-2006, 07:23 PM
If it is still under warranty, DO NOT use any other than JD fluids. :usflag:

Envy Lawn Service
03-08-2006, 11:57 PM
This sort of thing is just a BIG RIPOFF that many MFG's take advantage of.
Deere certainly is not the only one!

The reasons they do it and are sucessful at it are many.

First, they extort you into paying double for oil by making you feel uneasy about warranty coverage. They know most people will fall for it and buy it.

Second, if convienent they can use such things in an attempt to deny warranty claims even though they can't legally. But they know most people will just take it.

Look guys, John Deere does not refine oil and blend it to 'special' Deere specs to work best in there engines, drives, whatever. Heck, truth be known, Deere doesn't even MFG these parts in the first place!

Deere also is not a large enough volume oil seller to have the buying muscle to have specialty oils blended for their products. The fact is, they contract this crap out to the lowest bidder. Whoever wins the bid bottles it in little green John Deere bottles and ships it to them. So chances are, if anything you would be more likely to get a lesser quality of oil if anything. It's probably some cheap no-name stuff.

What you need to pay attention to is the MANUAL and warranty statement.
Then select an oil that meets the requirements and specifications.

Anyways, all major brands make high quality 15w40 oil for less.

I do find it neat that JD selected 15w40. It's one of my favorites and I can tell you no one else specifies that grade in their hydros... but I have always wondered why not.

Hustler (10w40 + lubrizol) and JD (15w40) are the oddballs.
Everyone else uses 15w50 synthetic or 20w50.

MMLawn
03-09-2006, 10:03 AM
ENVY, again you jumping on JD. Didn't realize that you OWNED one :laugh:

Anyway, I suggest you do a little RESEARCH since you do like to do that type of thing anyway. You have basically bashed JD oil saying it is a lessor grade of oil. I suggest you go to BobtheOilGuy's www site and you will find that it actually is one of the best and highest grades on the market. MANY of the guys on there (who btw the way lab test every oil change and are "into" oil the way we are into mowers) use it in their very expensive cars. Now I KNOW, as I'm sure the others already did prior to your bashing, that JD does not make their own oil. BUT they do insist on a TOP QUALITY oil made for them and unlike you said they DO have the buying power to do that ep after 168 years of being in business and at the top of the AG equipment game, and NO I don't use it on a regular basis.....not because of quality but because I personally prefer Chevron or German Castrol in small engines, BUT the JD oil as your research will show is a very high quality! Also while you are there you might want to research their OIL FILTERS and you'll see that lots of folks use those on their cars too because they are such high quality.....and YES I do use only JD Filters.

Mike, IF you wanted to run a non JD oil the Delo 400 and Shell Rotella 15w/40 are also very high quality oils. They run around $7 a gallon at Wally, Sams and Costco.

DANG, I guess the green now runs too deep in my veins to know this much about a companies "by-products". :laugh:

Envy Lawn Service
03-09-2006, 11:02 AM
MM, I guess I need to change my name to Deere Basher :dizzy:
NOT!

This sort of thing is just a BIG RIPOFF that many MFG's take advantage of.
Deere certainly is not the only one!

Guess you missed that part (?)

A bunch of other companies do it also.
Briggs, Kohler, Kawasaki, Grasshopper, Snapper, and every 2 cycle MFG, ect..
Humm... why do you guess they do that?

Anyways, no I haven't researched John Deere oils in a long time.
Don't have the need to.

So tell me, who does MFG John Deere oil currenty?
How long can you depend on that contract?
Will you be notified when the contract is awarded to another vendor?
How do you know the next vendor will provide the same level of quality?
Can you depend on this type of arrangement for quality oil and service life?

That in a nutshell is what I am getting at.... and that goes for all the MFG's.
Why pay double for mystery oil because it has whatever name on the label?

SproulsLawnCare
03-09-2006, 11:49 AM
That in a nutshell is what I am getting at.... and that goes for all the MFG's.
Why pay double for mystery oil because it has whatever name on the label?

Because all of the oil comes out of the same hole in the ground. It is what each individual refinery does to the oil once they get it that makes the difference. If they are following the particular MFG's specs, then it will be the quality that is needed for that machine.

It's not that other companies can't or don't make oils with the same or better quality and specs. It's just that the manufacturer makes sure that their oil does meet their specs.

....now I need to kick myself for not thinking about that when I changed the oil in the hydro's last time.

Meg-Mo
03-09-2006, 04:12 PM
John deere does not make oils so any oil that meets the APSI species will work and will meet all warranty's. Its like auto makers saying only on Shell oil in every car or truck.

Envy Lawn Service
03-09-2006, 04:45 PM
John deere does not make oils so any oil that meets the APSI species will work and will meet all warranty's. Its like auto makers saying only on Shell oil in every car or truck.

That is correct for engines... and also for 'most' mower hydros that run on engine oil.

But it is always wise to reference the manual and follow the specs in the manual to be sure, especially on hydros.

tarp5350
03-09-2006, 10:37 PM
i have to agree with envy, because i have used jd oil in my utility tractor and it did not perform like it should. it started to use oil and it became dirty very fast. did you know it does not have the starburst symbol or the donut rating like the other oils.
i have been using SCHAEFFER 15-40 blended oil and my problems have gone away. i now use it in all my engines.
even my jd dealer does not knows who makes it.