PDA

View Full Version : How much do I charge

stephenleefinkelstein
04-23-2001, 10:22 PM
Hey,
I have started my business to pay my way through grad school. I have landscaped for years but never had the opportunity to run my own buisness. I have had many jobs but am still unsure of what to charge. Maybe someone could help. I live in NJ.
How much do I charge to mulch a yard? Mulch runs between 22-42 dollars per yard

How much do I charge to top soil and seed?
sod?
rototill?
thanks in advance,
Stephen

joshua
04-23-2001, 11:57 PM
personly, i am charging $60 dollars a yard right now to lay and redge what needs it. i get my mulch at $27 a yard.

Scraper
04-24-2001, 08:04 AM
In your area, you should be able to get anwhere from $65-90/yard installed. That would include edging.

steveair
04-24-2001, 08:46 AM
Hello,

I'm right in morristown NJ also. Going rates are anywhere from 30 - 80 a yard. Go figure!

I've seen guys do 60 yard jobs for 1600, then I've seen guys do 5 yard jobs for 500. Its really up in the air.

My advice, is to figure out what YOU want to make. I usually am in the neighborhood of 60 - 75 a yard, with factors such as site conditions, accesibility, type of mulch, etc, etc, etc.

For some reason, everyone wants to put a 'per yard' price out there. Be different, and pratical for that reason, and then price the job out as a WHOLE.

Don't worry so much about price. There are guys out there that will install mulch for next to nothing. So, if you are worried about getting a job based on price, DON'T. Our area is completely FLOODED with illegals doing work for practically free. Jobs like this are thoughtless and prime time for "Scrub" pricing, where anything that includes 'thought' they usually shun away from. If you have to drop your price down to what some of these guys are doing it for, you will be paying off that grad school bill untill your 65! Figure out your time, expenses, trucking, supplies, etc, and then give a price.

Steveair

[Edited by steveair on 04-24-2001 at 08:50 AM]

Scraper
04-24-2001, 01:34 PM
Well said Steve...I base my pricing on a per yard basis installed and adjust this price for variables such as you stated. The customer is not told my price per yard, but rather just a total amount.

65hoss
04-24-2001, 08:33 PM
I get $65 to $70 per yard installed. It cost me $7 per yard. That's double hammered brown.

little green guy
04-24-2001, 08:48 PM
hey, i'm right in bernardsville.

I don't do mulch per yard. I price it my the man hour and then add in the cost off mulch. you can't go wrong that way.

FIREMAN
04-25-2001, 09:44 PM
My mulch pricing is as follows:
min. 40.00 per yard....(double ground hardwood) to a max of about 75.00 per yard....(usually cedar/hemlock)this depends upon how close the area to be mulched is to where I can get my truck.... mulch is one of the few places volume discounts do not apply...so basically I add 30.00 per yard labor with allowances on certain jobs for extra wheelbarrowing. I am trying something new this year, I am having a mulch blowing company do about 10 of my yearly mulch jobs(one blower truck full). This way I can see for myself how much of a time/ labor savings there is...and get feedback from my customers. If all goes as they say it will my days of running crazy to mulch everyone after their spring clean-up and before their cuttings start may be over...woo hoo that would be great especially if I can stil turn a decent profit on the mulch.

Michael Fronczak
04-28-2001, 09:16 AM
Be carful with mulch blowing cos. One underbid me on a HOA we maintain. We were supposed to edge all beds that don't have plastic edging, told property mgr, it would be done by may 15,(contract is for june 30 deadline), he told blowing co may 21. Well it was done 2 weeks ago. Place looks like crap, they didn't do any prep work: were plastic edge is the just went right over, rather than push old mulch back to get a clean taper, put down a very very thin layer of mulch. Bid specs said 2-3 inches I belive. HOA will learn when mulch is all gone next year.