PDA

View Full Version : Fan on ZTR

ztrguy
03-08-2006, 02:05 AM
Before you know it we'll be mowing all day long in the hot humid summer days. I have a few accounts where we're on the mowers 5 hours straight. It really drains you after doing a few of those. I started thinking, wouldn't it be nice if we had some type of fan setup on our ZTR's blowing air in our face to cool us off?! That would be nice! Does anyone have any good ideas on how I could make this a reality?

Sir mowsalot
03-08-2006, 06:05 AM
Before you know it we'll be mowing all day long in the hot humid summer days. I have a few accounts where we're on the mowers 5 hours straight. It really drains you after doing a few of those. I started thinking, wouldn't it be nice if we had some type of fan setup on our ZTR's blowing air in our face to cool us off?! That would be nice! Does anyone have any good ideas on how I could make this a reality?
Even better would be enclosed cabs with air conditioning, just like back hoes. Could you imagine mowing in an enclosed z cab with ac?LOL

Richard Martin
03-08-2006, 06:11 AM
You need a 12V fan like this one...

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=26211&src=SRQB

Just cut the lighter adapter off the end and wire it to your battery.

ztrguy
03-08-2006, 12:05 PM
I would definately buy an enclosed cab with a/c. After mowing all day ... 5 days a week it would make a huge difference. It looks like that fan would blow me off the mower! I would use it if I could find a way to correctly hook it up.

TURF DOCTOR
03-08-2006, 12:45 PM
We have never found a use for fan's heck i guess running a scag all day with the speed of the mower keeps us cool. WHOO RAHH

Richard Martin
03-08-2006, 02:48 PM
I would definately buy an enclosed cab with a/c. After mowing all day ... 5 days a week it would make a huge difference. It looks like that fan would blow me off the mower! I would use it if I could find a way to correctly hook it up.

All you need is a inline fuse rated for the fan and 2 round/eye terminals. Then just connect it directly to the battery. Fan 30 bucks, parts 3 bucks, keeping cool in the summer... Priceless!:cool2:

deereman
03-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Or just attach a roof on your ROPS if you have one. I think that a fan would look kind of silly:laugh:

TURF DOCTOR
03-08-2006, 07:21 PM
My competition would laugh there @ss off at me they would call me a rookie.

ztrguy
03-08-2006, 07:54 PM
I could care less what anyone thinks. If it helps me and makes my day easier then maybe I should be the one laughing at the others that aren't using it. Thanks for the tip RichardMartin!

ToroLandscaper
03-08-2006, 08:26 PM
At the Expo in Kentucky Toro had some type of fan you put on your roll bars that blows on you...did anyone else notice that?

mowergal
03-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Toro came out with that fan 2 years ago and some of the people that use it have said they like it because it also helps keep the grass off them.

mowerman90
03-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Years ago, when I first started in the lawn business I read an article in the St Pete Times about a guy here in the Tampa area that enclosed and air conditioned his Dixie Chopper. He had an evaporator and compressor from a junk car and had fabricated an enclosure using plexiglass and angle iron. He had a car stereo in it and I believe he let it run all day i.e. between stops. I checked the St Pete Times web archive but couldn't find the article.

iluvscag
03-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Tony R advertised one of his buddies Toros that had a cab and ac in it.:)

ztrguy
06-06-2006, 10:53 AM
I want a Toro with an enclosed cab and AC!!!!!! But if I can't find something like that, I'll take a ZTR Fan. Does anyone know where to find them these days? Thanks!

CURBAPPEAL NC
06-06-2006, 01:37 PM
All it would do around here is blow more sand in your face! Wish I lived somewhere where the grass is thick and green all the time. I like cutting so much I would almost cut it free! (JUST KIDDING)

Cage
06-06-2006, 04:05 PM
You're right toro did show something of a fan attached to the ROPS.
http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/zmaster/z560/access_cooltop.html

lawnboy dan
06-06-2006, 09:40 PM
i have one on my z master and its well....cool! keeps dust off you too. i posted 2 times about this but no one saw it www.cooltops.com

topsites
06-06-2006, 09:44 PM
We have never found a use for fan's heck i guess running a scag all day with the speed of the mower keeps us cool. WHOO RAHH

Same here, what kills me in the heat is weedeating OMG I get so hot running the trimmer, I can run the Wb all day but not the trimmer.

David Haggerty
06-06-2006, 10:13 PM
With the Toro Groundsmasters line you sit in front of the radiator. That air movement makes a big difference!
Of course it works the same on chilly days too. This morning we got an early start. I ran the wb, my son ran the 72" Groundsmaster. When we got back in the truck, he complained about being cold while I was sweating a little.
With a fan at least you could turn it off when it got chilly.

Dave

kc2006
06-06-2006, 10:19 PM
I'd rip one of those fans off the first day I'd use it. Too many tree's to even leave the rops up for me so that wouldn't work. On an exmark you could mount a fan down near your feet on that front plate where the lazer sticker is.

Just thinking about adding a/c to a mower making me shiver with joy, no feezable way for me to do it though :( Now if I had a diesel or a liquid cooled mower that was a few years old and out of warrenty...I would be fabricating :D

lawnboy dan
06-07-2006, 05:29 PM
trust me guys that fan felt pretty good today it was 92 and no breeze at all. yes it gets in the way sometimes but here in the extreme fla heat-its worth it!