PDA

View Full Version : Master Valve questions

DanaMac
03-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Last week I replaced an RP that cracked in December for a customer. He forgot to shut the water off. Problem is it is located between 2 window wells and it flooded his basement. $12,00 to repair, for the SECOND time. He did the same 3 years ago.

So I'm thinking of putting in a master valve in the basement at the point-of-connection, before the backflow preventer. Anyone have problems with MVs before the BF? And what kind of valve have you used for the MV? Only a couple companies use MVs here. One uses WeatherMatic, not sure what the other uses.

At least this way if the BF cracks it wont spray water everywhere, flooding the basement, unless the controller turns on the MV.

Bobcat s250 NY
03-08-2006, 10:23 AM
I would never put a plastic valve in on a main in a house. Your just asking for trouble. Besides at $1,200 a shot to fix it sooner or later he will get it through his head to remember to shut the water. Honestly i dont even know if that would be acceptable by codes and whatnot. To me it just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. I mean if your set on using a master valve in the house i would use a brass valve at the very least. Possibly a Rainbird 100-GB: 1" :weightlifter:

SprinklerGuy
03-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Move the backflow perhaps....?

DanaMac
03-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Move the backflow perhaps....?
That would mean putting it out in the middle of the yard and trenching back to the valve box. Plus the copper coming out of the house would still be exposed and could freeze and crack as well.

SprinklerGuy
03-08-2006, 01:39 PM
You didn't ask about the copper...just the RP....sheesh.

Install a brass rainbird valve downstairs.....BUT....that makes your job tougher now doesn't it when you are making repairs and such....

Or...maybe the guy will remember after he writes the checks for the water damages.....If it were my house, I would remember.

BTW...no monument installs please (i am in between cellphones and forgot to check the messages on that one....sorry :( ) 719-243-2996 is a better one now....sorry dude.

DanaMac
03-08-2006, 05:46 PM
No problemo. Will update the phone #.

PurpHaze
03-08-2006, 10:49 PM
I'd shy away from putting a MV before the backflow, especially since the BF is used to being under constant pressure. You may end up repairing it. When the guy's basement ends up costing him more money than it's worth he'll remember to turn the thing off.