PDA

View Full Version : Small Flower with Cold-Call???

CP Estates
03-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Always looking for something to either give me an edge or at least make me stand out against the countless LCO's in my area, I was coinsidering giving my prospective customers a small (maybe 4") potted plant - like a tulip or something that says "spring". It'll cost be about $2.00 each and I'l limit it to the best 100 potentials.

Good idea?:confused:

Joey bag a' donuts
03-08-2006, 07:23 PM
If you try it let me know how it works out. What if you handed them out with a flier tied to the bulb...that's not a bad idea and they'd most likely read the flier opposed to what I DO with fliers that I get at home.

dtelawncare
03-08-2006, 10:34 PM
Sounds like you've been thinking outside the box. I think it is a great idea. Please do share the results.

LB1234
03-09-2006, 12:02 AM
I kinda like the idea...I'll give you props for being original. I'd say run with it...an extra two hundred bucks for the advertisment doesn't seem like a big expense, especially if it helps you land just one account.

CP Estates
03-30-2006, 11:12 AM
This has got to be the best 2.00 investment to get your foot in the door with people. A 4" tulip or hyacinth etc. to "Welcome them to spring" and all of a sudden you're the guy that stands out from every other grass cutter / landscaper that they've had knowck on their door.

It's buys you a chance to actually speak casually to them and they aren't just wating for you to stop your shpeal. A flyer with this and you'll be turning them away.

Billz
03-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Well, what was your close rate with them? Did you just go door-to-door in neighborhoods with them? Explain your process please.

CP Estates
03-31-2006, 12:11 PM
I focused on about a hundred - 2 acre estates. Got the plants (hyacinth, crocus, tulip etc.) at wholesale price of just over a dollar. They were just coming in to bloom so they looked like a million bucks when I knowcked on the door. Even if nobody was home, they started calling that night and every single one referenced the plant and how "nice" it was.

Basicall it got me in the door and gave me an edge over every guy that does the same thing and who's prices are about the same. It's more of beginning a relationship with the client rather than just playing a numbers game and putting a few thousand flyers in a mail drop. This way, there are a number in the same area and as a result, I can keep my travel costs down.

Billz
03-31-2006, 05:05 PM
I understand what you mean, but have you tried to get them to sign up for services, or simply using them as a "get to know you"? It is a great idea for that, just wondering what percentage of them are actually signing up for services.

CP Estates
04-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Out of about 60 or so, I've had 9 calls in only 3 days and have got them all.

Billz
04-03-2006, 05:45 PM
wow, those are great results. keep us informed on the last 40. This seems like the first idea on here that actually is working.

DUSTYCEDAR
04-03-2006, 05:50 PM
nice idea
i used to put in tulips around a few trees in the front yard when i got new mulch customers they loved it and kept them comming back

The landscaper
04-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Definately worth the money for the advertising. Getting a good bang for your buck.
Do you leave a card or something with them? What kind of speel do you give them when giving them the plant?
Good idea man.

CP Estates
04-04-2006, 12:09 AM
I leave a good-looking letter that isn't flashy, but is VERY classy (a recycled stock with nice border). The letter is in an envelope that matches and gives a couple of sentances each about my background, my focus, my services and most importantly a warm introduction in the first line that says something about ".Over the months of March and April, you will once again, undoubtedly receive solicitations from a variety of lawn maintenance companies. CP Estates has been developed to professionally and completely care for the property needs of ... blah, blah blah."

Between the gesture of the plant and the fact that I keep what I have to say in the letter brief enough to grab them and have them call me, I stand out from the dozens of others. Even if they aren't home, I leave them together and the curiousity of the plant is enough to have them really read the letter unlike just another flyer in the mail.

Green-Cuts
04-04-2006, 01:01 AM
Hey could you post a picture of the flower and stuff you give them?

Thanks
BJ