PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: Need help finding 80" + cut

PerfiCut L&L
03-08-2006, 12:10 PM
I have an opportunity to obtain a large contract for a number of public schools in my area, however, among the minimum equipment requirements is a mower with a cutting width of at least 80", or a combination of mowers attached to a single machine.

Can anyone suggest something?

meets1
03-08-2006, 12:14 PM
WAM. Only way to go. I run two - each unit is a toro with a 10.5 deck. Productive, easy to use, realiable, plenty of power.

Others will probably say buy a big Z with a 72 deck, that might work as well. Or if you have a small tractor, use a pull behind mower off your 3 point and PTO. I have done this as well, works great but I never thought the cut was as nice.

Either way good luck with the contract and hope you find something that works for you.

lawncare3
03-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Yup wam. plus their fun (but not when working for GV)

jtkplc
03-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Check out this 86" Lastec with an articulating deck...http://www.lastec.com/products/comm/wing.html

Or this Toro...http://www.toro.com/grounds/mower/widearea/gm4100/4100.html

LwnmwrMan22
03-08-2006, 01:08 PM
I have an opportunity to obtain a large contract for a number of public schools in my area, however, among the minimum equipment requirements is a mower with a cutting width of at least 80", or a combination of mowers attached to a single machine.

How soon do you need to know??

lawnmaniac883
03-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Deere makes a WAM as well as toro.

LwnmwrMan22
03-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Deere makes a WAM as well as toro.

The problem with the Deere, is that you have one deck out the front, with two on the sides, about in the middle of the mower.

You have issues when mowing into corners, because you're not able to mow all the way into the corner. The middle deck in the front hits the wall / edge of turf area before the side deck can mow all the way up the right or left side.

It's the same situation as the Toro 455.

If you're looking for a WAM, look for a Toro 4100. You CAN find them used, in fact I think MEETS1 might have had one he was thinking about moving.

Anyways, I also use a 45 hp Kubota tractor with an 11' tri-deck pull behind mower. It works well, plus you can use the tractor in other situations.

Either way, unless you find something used, you're looking about $35k, more for a new Toro WAM, plus a trailer to haul it on.

A self contained WAM, whether it's Toro, John Deere, Jacobson, Hustler, whoever, is nicer, since you can fit it on a 24' trailer and still have room for one or two ZTRs.

The tractor w/ tri-deck mower behind takes up all of a 24' trailer itself, meaning you have to have another truck / trailer to get the ZTRs / wb's to the site.

PerfiCut L&L
03-08-2006, 02:36 PM
I need this info by Friday morning. Preferably this eve, so that I can run some numbers tomorrow.

The projects require a single mower of 80" or larger cut, and two 60" or similar mowers. Plus a few other smaller mowers and items.

I have everything needed except the larger 80" cut mower.

Im thinking of a tractor of some sort with a mower attachment, this way I can use the tractor for other projects as well. However, as someone mentioned, this will require an independant trailer, and a dedicated truck to haul it. I dont think at this point I want to commit to that. So maybe some sort of self contained mower/zero turn type might work. However, probably not going to get it and two 60" mowers onto a single trailer either.

Going to have to re-think this. Perhaps a cheap beater truck / trailer could be in the plans.

Keep the suggestions coming though, the more info the better.

impactlandscaping
03-08-2006, 02:49 PM
How many acres of turf are you going to be using the 80+" deck on each week? I would look at cost options of the WAM compared to the amount of the contract, and the terms in years and payment schedule of the contract as well. If the numbers don't allow a 30-40K purchase, and the main acreage isn't too much of the main part of the mowing, I'd get a 72" Diesel Z and add a flex deck to it. If you are going to rely on the 80+ mower for more than 30% of the account, I'd look into a WAM if $$ allows.JMO:waving:

LwnmwrMan22
03-08-2006, 02:55 PM
How many acres of turf are you going to be using the 80+" deck on each week? I would look at cost options of the WAM compared to the amount of the contract, and the terms in years and payment schedule of the contract as well. If the numbers don't allow a 30-40K purchase, and the main acreage isn't too much of the main part of the mowing, I'd get a 72" Diesel Z and add a flex deck to it. If you are going to rely on the 80+ mower for more than 30% of the account, I'd look into a WAM if $$ allows.JMO:waving:

Along the lines of impact's post, if you're not going to get this contract for a minimum of 3 years, OR if you don't have anywhere else to use a large mower, then just pass.

There's no reason to sink $20+k into a mowing setup for an account, even if it's $40k, just for one year, then lose it and try to sell everything the following year.

What size trailer are you running now??

I can put a Toro 4100 on the trailer with (2) 60" ZTRs, but that's on a 24' flatbed, 8.5' wide, 14k gvw. You're looking at another $5-6k if you don't already have a trailer like this.

jtkplc
03-08-2006, 03:12 PM

I like that idea...

PaulJ
03-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Add a flex deck to your favorite 72" ZTR for 90" I hear they mow into and around corners well also.

lawnmaniac883
03-08-2006, 08:29 PM
I agree with post #9 and 10 on this one. If you arent going to have this account for multiple years then just pass. Although I bet it sure would be fun as hell using a WAM on a postage stamp lawn lol...

D and H Seasonal Services
03-08-2006, 08:36 PM
There is a company here in Pa. that sells them

Jpocket
03-08-2006, 09:37 PM

Why do they care what mowers you use, as long as you get it done in a timely manner. a couple of 72" Z's should do the trick. I personally prefer a big Z, b/c you can go from this account to a neighborhood of 1/2 acre lawns with the same mower.

MysticLandscape
03-08-2006, 10:48 PM
If you want to cut some serious grass, look at this baby, i use one at a golf course and can cut most of the rough grass on the course in a single day. http://www.jacobsengolf.com/products/rough_rotary_mowers/hr-5111/

POPO4995
03-08-2006, 11:19 PM
http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GC/series/GC_front_wide_series.html?link=mowpro

Try that.....Deere 1600 Turbo WAM:weightlifter: :weightlifter:

DAN-O'S TURF MANAGEMENT
03-08-2006, 11:31 PM
There's a used John Deere in South Coffeyville Kansas That was used on the big Amazon.com building. South COffeyville tire and auto has it for sale. They are a GrassHopper dealer and took the unit in on trade after the lawn company lost the BIG contract at Amazon ( that being the only account that it could be used on). I think they want around 6 or 7 thousand for it. It has a center cut of around 70 inches and two hydraulically driven batwings to the left and right of the center deck that brings the width of cut to around 10 or 11 feet I believe. Hope this helps!

hortboy
03-09-2006, 12:05 AM
I turned in a 3 month old landpride pull behind 14ft rotary mower to my local new holland dealer in the fall. This mower was amazing, great quality of cut, 3 independant mower deck w/ rear discharge. drop me an e-mail if interested and I forward you the phone number. I was able to 55 acres in an 8 hour w/ time to spare and a 1/2 lunch break. I pulled it w/ a 4wd 35 hp new holland tractor.