PDA

View Full Version : How do you dispose of your excess tank mix???

ChicagoLawn
03-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Before you respond, just so you know, I am fully licensed and experienced in turf and right of way applications.

This question has been on my mind for quite a while but never had the chance to ask. How do fellow applicators deal with the occasional over supply of tank mixed turf herbicide (for examples sake)?

Lets say that you just finished your second round and realize that due to lawns being in finer condition than anticipated you used less product on a particular day's route. Thats a good thing right........... but what do you do with the 50 gallons of excess product that will not be used for another 1-3 weeks (until start of next round)?

I have a few accounts that have gravel/lawn areas that will greatly benefit from my excess product application (if I choose to treat), but I really want to stay within environmental safety standards and really do not want to "stand out" when relieving myself of excess product. I always strive to do the right thing. This is one of those issues that I really do not like about our lawn care operations. Can you offer your expertise?

I realize that you need to plan your day's work and mix accordingly. This thread is really for those "between rounds" days when you have a possible oversupply of product.

Thank you!

Joe

GrazerZ
03-08-2006, 01:55 PM
At the beginning of the season I ask my friends if they would mind some free apps if this situation does come up. They always are happy to take it off my hands for free. or I use it up at accounts that have buget issues and cannot afford to pay for every area, again I ask at the beginning of the season if they have a problem with this, of corse not. And then there is my own lawn, about 1.5 acres where I use it also. Many chemicals are also good for the next day of spraying as well.:)

Xterminator
03-08-2006, 04:21 PM
I use my church for a training field it seems to make everyone happy and I pick up some new customers now and then

ThreeWide
03-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Most of the time I can find one of my own customers as a benefactor.

For example, customer A pays for an application of Revolver. Just to make sure I didn't come up short, I might have mixed a few extra gallons. Customer B just happens to have a couple of nasty areas of Fescue in his Bermuda, so I use it up on him.

Green-Pro
03-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Dump it in the River.

JK, JK, take it easy :waving:

I have about five acres in pasture right next to my shop that I apply to, we tend to get thistle (the tall purple head variety) in there from time to time so it just seems like as good a place as any. I try and spray leftovers before that dang head pops and scatters seed all over he!!.

trentslawncare02
03-16-2006, 09:25 AM
We pump the extra mix into 250 "mini-bulk" tanks with a small transfer pump. Use a seperate tank for each mix, then load that tank when you go out.

Rtom45
03-16-2006, 10:41 AM
We have low priority areas on campus where we use it up. Campus is about 750 acres and only 250 acres is intensively maintained, so we have lots of area to use up excess.

jim163
03-17-2006, 11:15 AM
I personally like to drink it, it relaxes me.

mikesturf
03-18-2006, 10:00 AM
ChicagoLawn, go ask Mayor Daley if you can dump it in the Chicago river to turn it green for St. Patrick's day.

To have it properly disposed of with a hazardous waste company, it would cost a couple dollars per gallon. Also, you would have to pay additional yearly EPA fees, lots of regulatory paperwork, annual reports, etc. etc. So it would be best to find someone who would like some free apps once in a while.